Quantcast

Might switch from Vanilla R to RC, question...

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
The Vanilla R on my 2001 Stinky is 7.9" eye to eye, the RC that I am looking at is 7.5" eye to eye. How big of a difference will this be? Will my headtube get slacked out a lot or just a tiny bit? Will it be noticeable? That is all that I'm worried about, I dont want a slacked headtube angle, I like it how it is.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
more than likely the 7.5" eye to eye is only a 2" stroke, where your 7.875" Fox Vanilla is a 2.25" stroke. Get the proper shock for your model.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That will be a noticable difference... It'll lower your BB a bit too. You should really hold out and find the right shock for your bike. It won't hurt the bike but as mentioned above, a 7.5" shock is probably a shorter stroke too which will limit the travel.

Just out of curiosity, why are you making the switch? The compression knob on Fox's tend to blow them pretty quickly so you're not getting much of an upgrade... You ARE getting a lot of headaches though - between the modified geometry and limited travel...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by dwaugh
:confused: Tell me more about this. I'm just curious now.
Well if you crank up the compression to max to get a better pedaling bike, and forget to crank it down before a drop you might, and I say might, blow it.

I would wait to upgrade to a better shock, at leat a pro-pedal or even a Pushed RC, then you'll be on the bandwagon!! ;)

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by Jozz
Well if you crank up the compression to max to get a better pedaling bike, and forget to crank it down before a drop you might, and I say might, blow it.

I would wait to upgrade to a better shock, at leat a pro-pedal or even a Pushed RC, then you'll be on the bandwagon!! ;)
Ok, I get it now. Now just fill me in on the Pro-Pedal and Pushed RC (whatever that is), I've also been wondering about these. What do they do different?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ok, I get it now. Now just fill me in on the Pro-Pedal and Pushed RC (whatever that is), I've also been wondering about these. What do they do different?
What Jozz said is true but it goes beyond that. The fact is that turning the compression up on Fox shocks tends to stress the internals and blow them. Whether or not you're doing a drop. There's not much else to tell - it's simply a small shock body and the Fox internals are delicate enough that turning up the compression damper isn't good for it. Not a bad shock, just doesn't deal with compression damping well.

Pro-pedal is a bunch of low speed compression shims in the shock, making for a lot of low speed compression damping (and therefore, resisting pedal bob better). It's meant to simulate SPV, but in truth it's a much simpler design.

PUSH Industries rips out the internals of your Fox shock and replaces them with some better quality, higher oil flow internals. Supposedly the PUSH internals make your compression knob more useful but only time will tell about that.

http://www.pushindustries.com

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'd love to fill you in, but I'm no shock expert!

Take a peek in the DH forum, big ass thread about Push Industries and the wonder they do to old Vanilla shock.

Also IAB got a ProPedal on his Quasimoto, he could give you some feedback.

But for sure if you upgrade, make it worth your while...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by Jozz

I never understood this. Maybe that's why I love Foxes so much and why my big ass has yet to blow one- I spring mine on the heavy side and use almost no compression. If you have to crank up the compression for it to pedal well, you probably should use a spring 50# heavier, no? :confused:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
I never understood this. Maybe that's why I love Foxes so much and why my big ass has yet to blow one- I spring mine on the heavy side and use almost no compression. If you have to crank up the compression for it to pedal well, you probably should use a spring 50# heavier, no? :confused:
I think its mostly due to bike design, some bike pedals better than other. I have an RC on my old Bullit, for trail riding and climbing I like to cranck the compression half way, but going down on DH runs I leave it open. My spring rate is good, sag is perfect. Just feels the Bullit (in my case) pedals better uphill with the shock compression cranked up a bit.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Well, I'm not gonna go off a drop without making sure the shock is ok first. If I get one I'll probably just get it set up right on the first ride and leave it there. But if I can get one for a good price I will. As long as it feels nice I'm ok with it.
So does compression make the shock compress faster and slower?