Quantcast

Millar confeses to EPO

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
According to Friday's edition of L'Equipe, World Time Trial Champion David Millar (Cofidis) has allegedly confessed to taking EPO. Millar allegedly made the confession to French police while he spent 48 hours in custody in Biarritz this week.

L'Equipe reported that empty ampoules of Eprex (EPO) were found by French police in Millar's house whilst he was being detained, writing "Millar recognised that he used Eprex (erythropoetin) in the practice of his profession which puts him in the same position as a positive rider in the eyes of the UCI."

If this is the case, Millar will likely be charged by Nanterre judge Richard Pallain, who is heading the investigation into the Cofidis team, with illegal possession and use of toxic substances. So far, eight others have been charged in the affair which began early this year: Cédric Vasseur, Philippe Gaumont, Robert Sassone, Médéric Clain, Marek Rutkiewicz and Daniel Majewski (all riders), Boguslaw Madejak (ex-Cofidis physiotherapist), Oleg Kozlitine (former directeur sportif of Oktos).

from www.cyclingnews.com

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Yeah that sucks cause i was always a big fan of miller and still am. I've always wondered though cause he's been on the confidis team his entire pro career, makes you wonder.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
JMAC said:
Yeah that sucks cause i was always a big fan of miller and still am. I've always wondered though cause he's been on the confidis team his entire pro career, makes you wonder.
Millar=total doper. I'm surprized you still stand behind him when all you can do is bash Lance.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok well Lance just has better designed drugs thats all. The US has the biggest budget for designer drugs. I just think Millar is a cool person. As for Lance even if he is doping Im still think it's amazing what he's done for cycling and for cancer patiants.
P.S. atleast Millar has the balls to admit to doping without even having postive tests.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
When you read stuff like that, it makes it hard to believe any consistently fast rider, or any rider who comes out of nowhere, isn't on some kind of juice. Then there are the riders who slowly came up to do well then all of a sudden, during an Olympic year (when drug testing may be stepped up) are suddenly nowhere. Genevieve Jeason got 6th in the tt at the recent Canadian road nationals? What's up with Roland Green this year?

I'm sure I'm just being a cynical old guy, but that's what comes up in my brain when I see that.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
oldfart said:
When you read stuff like that, it makes it hard to believe any consistently fast rider, or any rider who comes out of nowhere, isn't on some kind of juice. Then there are the riders who slowly came up to do well then all of a sudden, during an Olympic year (when drug testing may be stepped up) are suddenly nowhere. Genevieve Jeason got 6th in the tt at the recent Canadian road nationals? What's up with Roland Green this year?

I'm sure I'm just being a cynical old guy, but that's what comes up in my brain when I see that.

Yeah I think GJ is a doper for sure but as for Roland I think he couldn't keep his peak form like he did for a couple years when he was winning everything probly just to hard mentally. Add on top of that all the crashes and illnesses he's had since and it's impressive how he's doing. Also when you see him race now he looks like he has way more fat than he used to. Roland has always been kind of a freak and winning everything and it'll just take sometime to get his form back. As for GJ I don;t like her at all and she's from a town really close to me so I should like her just for that reason but nope she's a doper with an attitude.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Personally, I've thought Millar was a whiner after the Prologue last year when his chain fell off...

It's bad form to blame the mechanics for bad luck, especially when you agreed to ride the bike the way it was.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Millar suspended, stripped of title
British Cycling announced Wednesday afternoon that David Millar has been suspended from competition and stripped of his 2003 world time trial championship title following a decision made by an independent disciplinary panel. The panel met according to British Cycling Federation by-laws and based its decision on several sources, including statements provided to the panel by Millar.

The panel's decision was that Millar's case, which came to light after his confession to French police that he had used EPO in 2001 and in 2003 while riding for Cofidis, constituted an admission of doping under Article 134 of the UCI Anti-doping Examination Regulations. Millar's case also met the criteria for intentional doping under UCI article 130.2.

The full extent of Millar's sanction is as follows:

Two year suspension from competition from August 5, 2004 to August 4, 2006
Fine of 2,000 Swiss francs
Disqualification from the 2003 World Elite Time Trial Championship
Disqualification from the 2003 Dauphiné Libéré Stage Race
Disqualification from the 2001 Vuelta a España
Millar has no right of appeal through British Cycling, but may appeal to the Court for Arbitration in Sport.