Quantcast

"Mineral Oil Only" hoses

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I need a shimano hose for my Grimeca brakes. But the hose says "mineral oil only" and my brakes say "DOT 3 or 4 only". What can i do? :think:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
The issue would be the o-ring seals on each end.

Get the shimano lines, toss the shimano o-rings and reuse the grimeca ones and everything should be fine.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Cave Dweller said:
The issue would be the o-ring seals on each end.

Get the shimano lines, toss the shimano o-rings and reuse the grimeca ones and everything should be fine.
Truth

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
What if i dont have the grimeca o rings. Are these generic seals, could they potentially be purchased from True Value?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
mack said:
What if i dont have the grimeca o rings. Are these generic seals, could they potentially be purchased from True Value?
Don't know dude. All i know is seals designed for mineral oil may react to dot fluid, and visa versa.

This is from a book i have on car brakes.

"Elastomers used in particular brake system must be able to adapt to the type of fluid being used. A small amount of swelling is desirable but this should not exceed 10% otherwise is has a negative effect on strength. Even minute levels of mineral oil contamination in gycol based brake fluids (dot fluids) can lead to destruction of rubber components such as seals"

And visa versa.

This may not be a problem on the hose end fittings as they are not in contact with moving parts so it wouldn't mater if they get a little soft. If you can't get grimeca lines/orings try the shimanos with the shimano seals, everything may be fine, and if not get some new ones if you have any problems.

But, you might as well go goodridges hoses, they are not alot more.

-Matt

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I should add that the shimano hose needs to be new and unused.

If it has been used it will still have mineral oil inside it and a mineral oil / dot fluid mix is not a good idea at all.