Quantcast

Minimum wage

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Just looking at the wall in the kitchen at work and discovered the Federal Minimum Wage is now one decade old. The nominal wage is effective Jan 1, 1997.

How are we okay with that?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
cuz only teenagers should be making minimum?

My housekeeper makes like $15/hour.

She's probably illegal.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Which brings up another question... if LEGAL labor is so cheap, why the hell are we employing so many illegals?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How are we okay with that?
b/c we are not a small business

you're almost always very thoughtful; so w/ that, please restore my faith in you & explain why the min wage is in need of adjustment to the extent it's soon to be.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My son just started making minimum wage for the first time since he started in the working world 4 years ago. Oregon is like $7.50 or something, his last job was $10 an hour. The least he's made before he started at Subway was $8, so he is learning to adjust.

I think minimum wage affects teens and small businesses that want to hire them. If you've been working for a few years, I would hope you have developed skills to the point of being above the minimum.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How about this...

make minimum wage a state issue or even a county issue. Tie it to some cost of living index.

I don't see how someone in Bumfvck, Iowa should make the same as someone in San Fran or NY.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
That 1997 poster needs to be taken down and replaced with a 2007 poster. Minimum wage increased, and will go up in increments up to $7.25 over the next two years.

Massachusetts minimum wage is $7.50 as on 1/1/07.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Minimum wage should be a living wage - minimum to live on, not what is paid. I agree that it should be state by state.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Minimum wage should be a living wage - minimum to live on
can you define that?

Should MW be enough for one person to live alone in a small 1BR apartment with a car and cable TV? Should it be less than that, like requiring roommates to share a 2-3BR apt and taking public transportation? Should it be just enough so a teenager can help out his parents while still saving a few bucks each week for the future?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
can you define that?

Should MW be enough for one person to live alone in a small 1BR apartment with a car and cable TV? Should it be less than that, like requiring roommates to share a 2-3BR apt and taking public transportation? Should it be just enough so a teenager can help out his parents while still saving a few bucks each week for the future?
Why do you hate poor people?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why do you hate poor people?
God Dammit poor people suck. Your family is already on welfare and now you're gonna bring another kid into the world. Poor people are churning out babies, adding to the population and then expecting ME to pay for it with MY tax dollars.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Minimum wage should be a living wage - minimum to live on, not what is paid. I agree that it should be state by state.
So in NY, it would be about $15-20 an hour, if you lived in NYC/Manhattan?

Or is that figure to low?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
seems people have forgotten one very important thing.

IT'S A FRIKKEN JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!
not some kind of entitlement.

if you can't be productive for your employer, then out the door you go.
minmum wage usually goes hand in hand with minimum skills.

why pay some dolt more when more than likely they don't produce enough to make their employer a profit.

the wage is a starting point for teenagers working fast food establishments.
and possibly college kids just trying to get by.

but if you're over the age of 20 and you're still "living" on minimum wage.
that tells me that somewhere along the line you made the wrong choice about educating yourself. (de de deee)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
omg....what's that sound??? sounds...like ice forming...I think hell is freezing over, cause I actually agree (mostly) with what dhbuilder is saying....

I wonder if I say his name backwards, will my computer burst into flames?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i wouldn't try it.

you'd probably p.m. me with the bill.
(nobody told me i was supposed to be making friends here.)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
The term "living wage" is used by advocates to refer to the minimum hourly wage necessary for a person to achieve some specific standard of living. In the context of developed countries such as the United Kingdom or Switzerland, this standard generally means that a person working forty hours a week, with no additional income, should be able to afford a specified quality or quantity of housing, food, utilities, transport, health care, and recreation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_wage

Key here I think: In the United States, several municipalities and local governments have enacted ordinances which set a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum for the purpose of requiring all jobs to meet the living wage for that region.

To this end, the job should justify the means. Perhaps there should be non-living wage JOBS. I've not given that point enough thought as of yet.

As a blanket thing, it has many problems, however, so does the current way of things.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
umm, we all understand the definition of "living wage".

It's "specific standard of living" that needs defining.

Poor people in the USA live better than most people on the planet.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why should any job be worth less than a living wage?
No one should, but I think the issue is defining "living wage".

To me, a guy sharing an apt with a friend or two, who rides the bus or has a bicycle and can afford to eat everyday is doing well enough.

TVs, cars, etc are luxuries and do not in any way fall under "living wage".

Current minimum wage is enough for shelter, food, and transportation. Want entertainment? Get a book from the library for free.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So in NY, it would be about $15-20 an hour, if you lived in NYC/Manhattan?

Or is that figure to[sic] low?
i think the wage should be uniform everywhere, and po' people should be encouraged to move to the barren wastelands of the midwest, where it's cheap to live. or down in the south to hang out with N8 and buy his handiwork...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why should any job be worth less than a living wage?
Why should someone who works hard be paid more than someone who doesn't?

I think there shouldn't be a minimum wage unless you are under 18. If you are self supporting, then you should be allowed to earn what you are worth. If you're worth a buck an hour, then so be it.

I tip $1 per song at the strip club as a "minimum wage" unless the dancer is truly gifted. Should I tip by the hour instead?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
It's actually not hard at all to learn some skill and make a living peforming it. If you're so lazy that you choose instead to cook fries all day, then you deserve to be poor. And even cooking fries, after just a month or so pays more than minimum wage. The idea that real, hard working people are struggling to get by because the minimum wage is too low is just retarded.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The idea that real, hard working people are struggling to get by because the minimum wage is too low is just retarded.
However, by raising the minimum wage, wages higher in the spectrum get driven up as well...I think that may be more the point.

Everyone should be paid the same. But to do that, other things must change within society as a whole.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
However, by raising the minimum wage, wages higher in the spectrum get driven up as well...I think that may be more the point.

Everyone should be paid the same. But to do that, other things must change within society as a whole.
Everyone should be paid the same? :plthumbsdown:

No.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yes.

Work is work is work. There are few essential jobs, hence, everyone should be valued the same.
Did you hear that on Dr. Phil or from your guidance counselor? Surely you see the differnce between someone who makes fries and someone who does cancer research. Your little communist schtick is getting old. Maybe try dabbling in reality.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think the wage should be uniform everywhere, and po' people should be encouraged to move to the barren wastelands of the midwest, where it's cheap to live. or down in the south to hang out with N8 and buy his handiwork...
You prefer really white neighborhoods I guess....