Quantcast

Minimum wage

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
pretty much. wife and i live within are means, are still paying off student loans and some cc debt. but w/ the stress of our jobs we're having a bit of a dilemma trying to decide if its really worth it. having our first kid put things in a bit of a different perspective.
Wife just went to work for a small local office but it is only 2-3 days a week vs 4, so her checks are smaller. But she was pulling 4 10+ hour days and that is too damn long to be hunched over someones nasty mouth. :panic:

The plan is next year we sell the 4 bed monster house (its just the 2 of us and my daughter every other weekend), likely rent until bubble, then buy something small. Trying to pay off as much as possible and downsize as much as possible. I try not to point out what we give up because she always comes back with "Yet you still have your car". I just remind her my car was less than her closet full of handbags she doesn't carry anywhere ever and it takes me to work every day.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pretty much. wife and i live within are means, are still paying off student loans and some cc debt. but w/ the stress of our jobs we're having a bit of a dilemma trying to decide if its really worth it. having our first kid put things in a bit of a different perspective.
Yup - my wife took off 2001-2008-ish to stay home with the kids. We had to give up a lot of our tycoon-ways. I stayed home for a couple years while she went back to work. Then we both worked for awhile. Then she took about a year off last year. This sort of wishy-washy employment scheme has worked pretty well for us...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup - my wife took off 2001-2008-ish to stay home with the kids. We had to give up a lot of our tycoon-ways. I stayed home for a couple years while she went back to work. Then we both worked for awhile. Then she took about a year off last year. This sort of wishy-washy employment scheme has worked pretty well for us...
What is your profession, er...when you have to work ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm a Unix/Storage/Backup Administrator. Currently I'm focused on backup admin.

I recently moved to a new company where the schedule is much more flexible than my last position. I've been into the office (which is local) about 4 times since Memorial Day.

That works for me.
Ok, weird, I was going to ask you about working from home, but it didn't show you're entire quote.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
our challenge is that right now we'd have to make some more major changes for her to even go part time, at least until we get rid of some more of our debt. not impossible, but she'd have a harder time giving up things than me in order to make that work. she's been dealing with some major shit at work right now and it's taking a toll on her. we have extremely good benefits, so that's a plus, but the new negatives are throwing off the balance.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
our challenge is that right now we'd have to make some more major changes for her to even go part time, at least until we get rid of some more of our debt. not impossible, but she'd have a harder time giving up things than me in order to make that work. she's been dealing with some major shit at work right now and it's taking a toll on her. we have extremely good benefits, so that's a plus, but the new negatives are throwing off the balance.
Get rid of cable. :homer:

Whatever you do - don't get rid of beer. Trust me on this one.

And yeah - teh debt thing is a bitch. We were fortunate in that we have had NO non-mortgage debt this entire time.

#mortgagemonkey

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Get rid of cable. :homer:
this falls under the category of "things she'd have a harder time giving up". and her expensive hairstyles.

Whatever you do - don't get rid of beer. Trust me on this one.
cut back sure, never get rid of. i'll drink cheap beer too. i'm trying to get back into brewing my own, which is less expensive for the quality of beer i like.

And yeah - teh debt thing is a bitch. We were fortunate in that we have had NO non-mortgage debt this entire time.
we're working on that one. she just refinanced her student loans which, while she's paying more per month, the payoff timeline was reduced by 66%. I've got about a year left on my car loan, which is gonna free up a few hundo per month. her father's estate just cleared so we are looking at how to spread that out for the most benefit.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ok, so the last big cut was cable. No, we didn't kill everything, just switched to Directv and cut the bill damn near in half.

True story: Wife off on Fridays, wants to watch some Real Housewives of some Major Metro Area on demand and it kept saying "not free without subscription". We didn't have a DVR, so streaming on demand was how she watched her crap. Due to a local outage, no on demand content. That was it, either give that woman a DVR or she was dumping Comcast! They wouldn't cut the bill, but offered her a remote she can talk to. She said "If I'm talking to the remote, cut me off".

Our bill went from $185 to less than $100 for 2 years on a 2 year deal. :rofl:

<edit> The wife will not give up "Glen" (her flaming hair stylist). That dude is like $160 a pop and that is every 6-8 weeks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i wish my wife spent that on her hair. her's is over $200. da fuq. i consider it splurging by getting a $35 haircut every other month.
Mine used to be $11 with a $4 tip. When I saw her give a $60 tip, I started giving my barber a $20 and she can keep the change. I used to go every 6-8. I did find a barber here that is only $14 and for downtown that is cheap as hell. Same $20, just less of a tip.

What in the fucking fuck?
She had signed up before we were together for a "triple play" with phone, internet, and tv. No DVR, only one HD set top box and she never had a phone plugged in. It was cheap when she signed up, but went up over the years. I was blown away when I saw the price, myself.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i wish my wife spent that on her hair. her's is over $200. da fuq. i consider it splurging by getting a $35 haircut every other month.
What the fuck does she get done?!?!?

Benefit to not cutting hair: Don't spend any money on haircuts
Downsides: Dealing with all of the shit thrown my way for having gorgeous dreamy man hair

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mine used to be $11 with a $4 tip. When I saw her give a $60 tip, I started giving my barber a $20 and she can keep the change. I used to go every 6-8. I did find a barber here that is only $14 and for downtown that is cheap as hell. Same $20, just less of a tip.
the $35 includes a beer, wash, and scalp massage. all the stylists are VERY easy on the eyes. and they give a damn good hair cut too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the $35 includes a beer, wash, and scalp massage. all the stylists are VERY easy on the eyes. and they give a damn good hair cut too.
There is a Hair M across the street from the office, I haven't gone to one of those. I went to the redneck pseudo version Sport Clips and the girl while cute had no idea how to cut hair and jacked my head up. I live in Portland, if I want to stare at ladies, there are a LOT of places to do that around here without getting a bad haircut. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that's about what we pay for fios. triple play deal. high speed internet, phone (which we actually use), 2 HD DVR boxes and a regular cable box.
We just have to one TV currently and had no use for the land line. I wish I could get fios, but the 20M from Charter isn't awful. But over $100 for tv just makes me :twitch:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife pays $60? $80 for getting her hair cut maybe every 10 weeks. I pay $0--buzz the ol' head myself peroidically. I do splurge for a $140 internet/TV bill, though... because 1 Gbps is very nice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How much is the 1Gb service by itself?
After accounting for the waived fees from the bundle (but not putting any value on the TV service) internet alone would be about $10/cheaper per month. That $10 is worth it for the Super Bowl, Olympics, etc. This is a first year promo price but such things can be extended forever by threatening to quit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
After accounting for the waived fees from the bundle (but not putting any value on the TV service) internet alone would be about $10/cheaper per month. That $10 is worth it for the Super Bowl, Olympics, etc. This is a first year promo price but such things can be extended forever by threatening to quit.
Dayum... that's pricey internet. NTTAWWT.

Oh - and rabbit ears, n00B. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dayum... that's pricey internet. NTTAWWT.

Oh - and rabbit ears, n00B. :D
The TV is in the basement. Although I have a coax run to the attic and have used OTA broadcasts before it's easier this way just to pay up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well it seems safe to say no one is this thread is earning minimum wage... I save money like Toshi; got me a set of dog clippers and every few weeks everything goes... actually its not the money, its the time making appointments, waiting in line, sitting in a chair wondering what the fuck that smell is. Its too much for me. I'd rather be biking and have crappy hair.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Being bald I haven't bought a haircut in a long time. My wife cuts her own hair. Sometimes she cuts other people's hair for some extra coin.I have illegal cable and a hacked kodi box. I think you guys are doing it wrong.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
And as far as haircuts go, I used to be a hair farmer and that was really low maintenance. Now, still sporting a full head of curly locks, I get about three haircuts a year. It's cheaper and easier just to use "product" to keep it under control.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
That's actually theft. So... I believe that *you* may be doing it wrong. NTTAWWT. Actually, TISWWT.
Maybe. I do pay five bucks they just think it's at someone else's house. But yah it's theft in a way, I'm ok with that. It's not like there is less of it for them to sell.