Quantcast

Mmm Laaahhaaar

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
thats really sweet, if this frame was available with a more conventional geometry it would skyrocket to the top of my dream frame list.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
ive always wondered about the ridiculously low chainstays. Do those get banged around much? or not really since they are kind of tucked away?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It just needs some all black 888 airs(I dig the 40s anyway) and a front hub to match the rear and I'd be content. Wouldn't mind if I could squeeze an Avvy in there but the Fox is the closest thing anyways.Oh and some lighter cranks,those Saints are hella overkill for my fly weight.
The chainsatys move backward with the impact,none have failed in 5 years.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
ive always wondered about the ridiculously low chainstays. Do those get banged around much? or not really since they are kind of tucked away?
Cameron says he only noticed it hitting in one spot in one race in the last year. They're built bulletproof and to form a ramp that'll slide easily over anything that would trip the wheel. I've seen Punter case a landing with his once. When I mentioned it he was surprized, hadn't realised he'd cased it at all. They initially clear 10 inches, and end up as high as the BB.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
no way!! those chain stays dont flex!!! :p

nice bike no skid marks...:drool::drool::drool: what size cranks are the bb meant for? 83 or 68/73?
i guess lahar design can get back to posting on rm now that your bike is done...

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
In about 5 to 10 years that ride will fit into the "Odd and Different DH bikes" thread. It is sweet, and I too drool at it's grandjor.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
kicked back like italics.

I need to turn my head sideways that bike is so slack.

I wish I had one...not an east coast bike though.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
its not really that 'unconventional'. for what it's worth, there's new shock mount plates with a slightly steeper option.

fair enough, still think it would be too long for me, seems like it would be killer for people over 6 feet though.

Out of curiousity how tall are you xy9ine and are you comfortable with the wheel base so far?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
fair enough, still think it would be too long for me, seems like it would be killer for people over 6 feet though.

Out of curiousity how tall are you xy9ine and are you comfortable with the wheel base so far?
i'm 6'-0", so yeah, i think it'd be long for wee people. (wb is 47+"). i haven't had any problem getting used to it; even works on silly skinny northshore tech stuff (which i suppose goes to show that you can ride almost anything anywhere, and that one can adapt to an inch or degree or two variation here & there). interestingly enough, i rode my pdc last week, and it almost seemed too steep (~66d ha) in comparision. starting to like the slackness - allows you to more comfortably stuff the front end through knarley stuff & maintain a more centered riding position.

LaharDesign

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
In about 5 to 10 years that ride will fit into the "Odd and Different DH bikes" thread. It is sweet, and I too drool at it's grandjor.
In 5-10 years it should be what all the dh bikes look like.
Unless the industry dinosaurs manage to pitch performance chassis design and durability/reliability as a passing fad.

Re/ length: 5'2" (and girls have especially short torsos) Olivia Johnston has an m9 that I shortened the mainspar 1.5" for her. She loves it and even loved Nicks fullsize one when she trained on it prior to getting hers. The cockpit is actually fairly short.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
no way!! those chain stays dont flex!!! :p

nice bike no skid marks...:drool::drool::drool: what size cranks are the bb meant for? 83 or 68/73?
i guess lahar design can get back to posting on rm now that your bike is done...
Yeah 83mm BB width.I'm running 170 arms
Nah he's just surfacing for a second then he's back into production. I think there's always at least five on back order. Mind you I did hassle the hell out of him to get mine done.
i did my local very techo XC loop(lots of bush Gnar steps) yesterday and climbed up a section I only get up about 1 out of 50 times,rode the whole track with seat at DH height and didn't put it up untill the four Km ride home. Didn't feel anymore puffed than usual(XC bike) and was running 30psi rear and 23 front(tubless though).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
internal gearbox, floater, carbon frame...lots of chi chi bits.

I really want to see some unbiased reviews, or ride one myself. I know they're really nice, well thought out bikes, but I'm not sure that they crush hills and dole out BJs as everybody seems to think.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

I really want to see some unbiased reviews, or ride one myself. I know they're really nice, well thought out bikes, but I'm not sure that they crush hills and dole out BJs as everybody seems to think.
It's similer to your Racelink with a lower BB,no weight on the rear making it very active,less weight,gearbox between your legs,gearbox with all the bennefits. It rides similer to the Brooklyn with all the BMWs bennefits but more.
I've not ridden DH for five months,I'm a **** rider and built a fairly gnarly track in my time off with ten foot+drops,stepdowns(again 10ft+) to step ups,20ft doubles,every type of corner,burly rock gardens etc etc,I didn't think I'd be able to ride half the track but by the third run I was hitting everything,most of the challenges were beyond my previous capabillities also. I had a lot of crashes on the last run(exhausted)and threw it down some very rocky sections and it's come up unscathed. But yes I'd be the same as you,try and get a ride,or you could just do the calculations yourself,or try to disproove some of the designers designs and theories.
No bike is perfect for everyone but I think your style would be a serious setback if this bike didn't make you faster. Id be very surprised if that after five runs on any track with a correctly set up Lahar that anybody would not be able to beat their personal best time.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

There's a brief one on www.farkin.net, written by yours truly. Whether or not you consider me "unbiased" is up to you.