Quantcast

Moab Beta?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
oh hey guys!
Buffalo and I are on a road trip in the van with the kiddo and want to rent bikes and ride in Moab for a couple days at the beginning of next week. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for (a) where to rent a bike/who we should give business to, and (b) trail suggestions at 10 year old who does blue square-ish level.

We are really going in blind, so anything helps!

Also, after being MIA for years because job sucked my time and soul, I up and quit, so I hope to be more present here! Been missing my daily humor!!

Thanks!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You are going to want to bring the kiddo to three areas: MOAB Brand trails, Klondike Bluffs, and the Klonzo trails out by Dalton Wells Road. Bike rentals...there are no 'bad' shops, per se, maybe go with the one that carries the brand that you ride now?
I am renting a small Rocky Mt. Altitude from Poison Spider in October, but purely because that is the bike that I am looking to demo.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I rode both the Klondike Bluffs stuff and the Moab brand trails with the wife when we were out in Moab. She's solidly in the beginner category and she had fun with both, they offer enough variety to challenge and entertain across the skills spectrum.

I rented a Pivot from Poison Spider and it was reasonable price. Good shop with good peeps.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Rent from Chile Pepper. Those are good people there.

In addition to what was already mentioned trail-wise - Deadhorse Point trails and Mag-7. Specifically - park at the bottom of Arth's Corner, then ride up the road to Getaway, Getaway up to either Bull Run Connector or all the way to the top of Bull Run - then ride Bull Run & Arth's. Stop at Gemini Bridges for a little wow on teh way down.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Thanks guys! This is a great list--appreciate all the recommendations!!

Hey Nick! We're in Denver area today, so big wave! Got my Seahawks Blues on while strolling though town....

JBP, what happened to the cat?!

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Don't know if your kids are young enough to be wowed by dinosaur tracks, but if so, look for the tracks on the initial climb at Klondike Bluffs. At the end of the out&back trail, you can leave your bikes, hike up a bit further and enjoy a great view down into the Fiery Furnace area of Arches. Oh, and be sure to drive in to the real trailhead and skip pedalling that dirt road, esp. if the kids are young. You don't want them toasted before the good stuff. Have fun!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Don't know if your kids are young enough to be wowed by dinosaur tracks, but if so, look for the tracks on the initial climb at Klondike Bluffs. At the end of the out&back trail, you can leave your bikes, hike up a bit further and enjoy a great view down into the Fiery Furnace area of Arches. Oh, and be sure to drive in to the real trailhead and skip pedalling that dirt road, esp. if the kids are young. You don't want them toasted before the good stuff. Have fun!
Perfect!! We just went to Dino National Monument and had a blast! He would love to see this!

What happened to what cat?
Your avatar... the gray cat! Duh.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Welp. It was awesome. Rented bikes and a rack from Poison Spider. They were easy enough, I couldn't understand half of what our guy was saying (is there a Moab accent??) so I let Buffalo handle it and I poked around at bike shorts... and we all got sweet bikes to ride. The kiddo had a Rocky Mountain that was put together the day before and got to be the first to ride it! Both of our bikes were in great shape, mine was a Trek, his was a Niner, both were sweet.

We rode Moab brands one day and Dead Horse Trails the next. We caught the tail end of a heat wave, so it was above 100, but not 115, so there's that! It was such different terrain than WA--I know that's obvious, but it really took a beat to get my mind to compute the difference, and we just had a blast. We found some fun flowy ones to play on and a little tech--a little taste of everything. I'd love to go back some time... maybe in the fall . Trying to upload a photo or two from my phone, but yeah, compression painting or something like that! I'll try again later from the laptop. Thanks for the info guys!