Quantcast

Moab Weekend

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Hello my fellow Monkey friends! Good to be back in monkey land. RM and I had a great weekend at the 24 hour race in Moab. Here is a brief synopsis of our weekend for anyone who is interested:monkey:

Arrived Thursday night (Barbarosa was kind of enough to drive us and stuff us in his car:-))and camped outside of town in a spectacular spot. It was Diogees' first time camping and he was a bit confused about the whole TENT thang.... he warmed up to it eventually:rolleyes: :) Anyway woke up Friday am and waited for over an hour for an great breakfast at the Jailhouse cafe, totally worth the wait. Ran into one of my spin class members who was racing. Knew it wouldnt take long to run into a Boulderite in Moab;) Did some shopping and moved on to the main event. After we located the team and set up camp we decided to ride the course. IT was soooooooooooo much fun ... actually I dont think I have ever ridden a more fun course. Lots of fast sections with a few burly technical down and up hills.. sand and rocks and absolutely gorgeous scenery. Details on the trail, the race and results are at http://www.grannygear.com/24hours_moab/index.htm#map
After riding we went back to camp and enjoyed a great fire and some good beer............. the days were perfect but the nights were really really really realllllllyyyyyyy COLD!! Actually frigid would be a better word. We woke up on Saturday morning with Snow in our tent..bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :( :p

The race started at Noon on Saturday with a huge LeMans style start! Wow I have never seen anything like that. It was pretty comical to watch. People had all sorts of funny costumes and getups on. Unforunately Team NUMB's first rider ran into some mechanical problems and they had to send another rider out. Mechanical problems were pretty much the theme of the weekend for RM's team (NUMB). Oh well I guess you have to expect these things in a race sometimes.

The next 24 hrs were filled with lots of excitement and fun. Barbarosa and I hiked out prettty far to get pics of the racers. Think we got some good ones. They will be up soon. Got back to Boulder last night and the rest is history :D

BTW: I think my favorite team name was "Victory For Vaginas" a four person womens sport team out of Moab. They actually got sponsored by Patagonia and had 7 teepees set up at the race. The girls were a riot..........................;)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sounds like a good time, thoses events are always so much fun cuz you get to hang around with the best people....mountain bikers! I can't wait for the pictures!!! "Victory for Vaginas"...why didn't I think of that!!
________
Naruto Forums

Last edited:

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Hey JOJO, glad to see y'all had fun!!! So just how cold did it get? Were you not prepared enough for the cold nights?
I don't know if you remember, but I had mentioned that I'm going out there the first weekend of November, I'm pretty much making this an open invitation to anyone/everyone.
Anyway, can't wait for the pics!
I'm definitely gonna be doin' some ridin' this weekend...was hoping maybe if we start talkin' about it now, there's a chance we may be able to get some locals together?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Well I am not totally sure about the temp but I think it was in the 20's Friday night and possibly for a few hours on Saturday night. Luckily we had Barbarosa to keep the fire going alllll night which made the team very very happy. We were prepared but we could have used a few more blankets.. our sleeping bags were not warm enough. I stuffed Diogee in my bag one night... that was fun:rolleyes: he was a cold diogee:p

About this weekend.... we may be heading back to MOab to ride and check out the Fat Tire Festival but if not then I am definitely into riding... Need to get ready for AZ. Hey Krustee wanna be on my team:D Seriously just for fun.. think about it;)

The MOAB 24 hr race, the MOAB course, the camping, the weather, ... it all just ROCKS

I am sssssoooo tired right now I am pounding coffee and cola and I have this funny out of body feeling... but, 24 hour races are just plain fun to be around.

And yes, MOAB R-O-C-K-S I will get some of my film shots up in a couple of days... first I need to get the gear put away and spend some time with my toddler whom could not go this time.

o, and to any other monkey's who road trip with Diogee, he brings his own gas... and I do mean gas, DANG Diogee! :D

It was a HOOT!

... hey JoJo, your bike lock key and your mittens are still in the Subaru... I can hook up with you or RM wed after work en route home...

R

RideMonkey

Hey Everyone..............

I'm slammed with work but I wanted to add a short version of my experience..............

First of all I have to say that this is easily the coolest cycling event I have EVER been to. A town of 3000 racers, support crew, friends, and family popped up in the Moab desert for the race. The course/camping area was just SPECTACULAR. The camping area had a great view of the course and at night you could see long lines of riders lights out on the course. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS EVENT!!! Its so great!! And Heidi!!!! NO excuse for you not being there next year!!

The course was awesome. Just the funnest race course ever!! I had a pretty good first lap with a time of 1:08:11. Second lap was going great until I crashed and banged up my hand and heel pretty bad. I thought my finger was broken but movement came back after a while. I went ahead and did 2 more laps after this but the fire was gone. Still had a lot of fun though!

We took lots of pics and will have them up later this week.

:monkey:

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

Thanks Heidi...well...looks like I've committed myself! Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna get in shape for the dang thing! :rolleyes:
COOL! Now we just need to find a few more. We could shoot for a 5 person open team which would be fun .....

As Heidi mentioned it sounds like a good beginner racer course so it should be a blast. Lets talk KB. :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by JOJO

COOL! Now we just need to find a few more. We could shoot for a 5 person open team which would be fun .....

As Heidi mentioned it sounds like a good beginner racer course so it should be a blast. Lets talk KB. :)
When is it:confused:

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Heidi

President's Day weekend... February 16/17. God, you'd swear I was one of the event promoters or something, huh?
Hehehe they should pay you for recruiting people Heidi:D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey
. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS EVENT!!! Its so great!! And Heidi!!!! NO excuse for you not being there next year!!

LOL, alright, alright, I will go next year. I am glad you are having so much fun at these events, I love them too. I can't wait to see the pictures!
________
FORD KUGA PICTURE

Last edited: