Quantcast

Monday 8-02 Ride - Tri-Canyon Trail - Coastal San Diego

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
I think this would be a great trail to start with. I would consider this a more XCish ride. This trail is a true Intermediate ride. There are a couple technical steep climbs, and short technical steep drops, but nothing too extreme. Total mileage is about 14 miles and it should take 2-3 hours depending on our pace. I ride it in 1 1/2 hours with few stops, but being in a group with some possible slower riders, it make longer.

The ride starts at Bicycle Warehouse in Pacific Beach. We park at the store and take the road (Santa Fe) North for about 1.8 miles. Since we are connecting three canyons, there will be a bit of road riding getting to each canyon. At the end of the road, we drop down and follow railroad tracks for a bit. If the water is low, we quickly cross a stream and then climb up a small hill overlooking I-5. We take this to to Rose Canyon and ride some single track through California Oak groves and chaparral. After a few miles we climb out of Rose Canyon, take another road and drop down to San Clemente Canyon.

Have a little fun with a few small steep urban assault areas. San Clemente is awesome with nice technical single track and couple climbs. As we slowly climb back out San Clemente, it's time to hook up with Tecolote Canyon.

As we drop in Tecolote Canyon, there is some more urban assault near the top and a nice steep short downhill section with a hard turn at the bottom. The ride picks up speed as the single track opens up with twists and turns. The trail opens up further for a true full speed charge out of the canyon. As we climb out, we have a bit of road to finish up with before we are back to the cars.

What Time works? 4:30, 5, 6...

I drive a Silver PASSAT Wagon, red Intenese Uzzi

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
if I had gotten this email say yesterday or last night, I would have brought a bike to work... This is actually on the way to home from work too. maybe next time..

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Stuck in Minneapolis this week Steve, but I'm open for riding next week. I'll be in the Sierras riding this weekend.

Serpent was fun Saturday. Man I need to get back out there more.

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
mealsonwheels said:
Stuck in Minneapolis this week Steve, but I'm open for riding next week. I'll be in the Sierras riding this weekend.

Serpent was fun Saturday. Man I need to get back out there more.
Did you pack your bike? :p
Ya, Serpent was fun. We should build some mini-stuff like that at my place to practice on. Then go back out there!
Have fun in the Sierras, email me when you get back.

Going to BB tomarrow, I'll take some pics... I saw this funny quote on the BB site...

"Note to hikers: Please use caution when hiking up or down the mountain and please stay off all mountain bike trails." :thumb:

Thats funny! and so is your avatar

Ps. Anyone interested in doing this ride sometime?

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Yeah, I'll email you when I get back, and hopefully I'll have a few pics. I hope BB was cool with your DHR. I'd love to see the pics. I have to get up there this summer.

I still want to check out your place. I'd love to build some jumps/stunts out there.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
next time post like the night before so I can bring a bike with me to work. See I commute from Chulajuana to Carlsbad so I can't just go home and grab the bike before a hellish afternoon commute unless we're riding Chula XC trails....which is fun and can be downhill-esque..

next time...

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
Orven said:
next time post like the night before so I can bring a bike with me to work. See I commute from Chulajuana to Carlsbad so I can't just go home and grab the bike before a hellish afternoon commute unless we're riding Chula XC trails....which is fun and can be downhill-esque..

next time...
Fair enough... How about Friday for the Tri-Canyon? Time?

Orven said:
Chula XC trails....which is fun and can be downhill-esque..

next time...
Sweetwater from Bonita? Or you have something better in mind? If it's private local, PM.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Fri is not good for me. I'm driving to BB staright after work...

There are some fun XC trails in and around Bonita/Chula -Rice Canyon, J and H st..etc etc.. pretty fun and local stuff...

Gimper4JC

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
right arm... Awesome! BB weekend... have fun. Was there yesterday...

I've only ridden once in Bonita, from the bike shop, I forgot what they called it. Pretty cool trail, went by Home depot etc. then through East lake, proctor vly, sweetwater, golf course, then back to the bike shop...

Also ridden sweetwater a few times from both ends, the rec park, steel bridge, etc....

I'm down for whatever, wherever, whenever.

wanna do Tri next week? Day? / time?
somewhere else? I really don't care. I just like to ride!...
at least 3-4 times a week.

anyone else want to ride somewhere? post it! (already known trails)
(do not post private lo-cals) :nuts:
:D

Start a new thread