Quantcast

///? Monday BMT ?\\\

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
according to my wife, a snore demon took possession of my body last night:homer: didn't bother me any though. Its going to be in the low 30s the next few nights and only get into the 50s during the day. fleece beanie time:busted:

now where is my coffee?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Yesterday afternoon I left my house on my CX bike to go for a spin out in the hills. Was a bit chilly, but the wind was low and the sun was mostly out. On my way back to my house, I pass this very busy Xmas tree farm. While I am watching a large pick up pull out into the road, I see two people standing in there yard out of the corner of my eye on the opposite side of the road from me. Then I heard them start yelling and screaming something. Then I see it. They had their very large Pitbull out in there yard with them, off leash. He is barreling towards at full steam and I am fucked. Time kind of slows down for a minute and I start to think about what I should do. I start to try and clip my pedal and then I hear a large crash. A car came up behind me and swerved around me and took out the Pit before it could get to me. He was going so fast that they didn't even see it. Sent the dog flying into the ditch. So now I am kinda freaked out a bit. I am not lying in the ditch getting mauled, but I am sad that some people had to watch their pet die in front of them. I stuck around for a few minutes. The dog owner went to get his gun to put the dog out of it's misery. I made sure I was gone before he came back with the gun. Hand of Doom? Instant Karma? FSM tentacle reach out plan? Guardian Angel? Who knows.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Saw a bike hit a car pretty good yesterday. I was behind said car, he was riding on the sidewalk and against traffic, she was trying to pull out onto a right-turn only divided road. Dude smashed into the passenger fender and door, flipped over and hit the deck. Got up muttering expletives before riding away. Lady was a bit shaken up but drove away after the guy rode off. Guy got lucky.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yesterday afternoon I left my house on my CX bike to go for a spin out in the hills. Was a bit chilly, but the wind was low and the sun was mostly out. On my way back to my house, I pass this very busy Xmas tree farm. While I am watching a large pick up pull out into the road, I see two people standing in there yard out of the corner of my eye on the opposite side of the road from me. Then I heard them start yelling and screaming something. Then I see it. They had their very large Pitbull out in there yard with them, off leash. He is barreling towards at full steam and I am fucked. Time kind of slows down for a minute and I start to think about what I should do. I start to try and clip my pedal and then I hear a large crash. A car came up behind me and swerved around me and took out the Pit before it could get to me. He was going so fast that they didn't even see it. Sent the dog flying into the ditch. So now I am kinda freaked out a bit. I am not lying in the ditch getting mauled, but I am sad that some people had to watch their pet die in front of them. I stuck around for a few minutes. The dog owner went to get his gun to put the dog out of it's misery. I made sure I was gone before he came back with the gun. Hand of Doom? Instant Karma? FSM tentacle reach out plan? Guardian Angel? Who knows.
Did the car intentionally hit the dog to save your bacon? If so, kudos to that person for the heads up move.

All I do with charging dogs is stop and get off the far side of the bike, than talk the dog down.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!

I needed about 8 sq.ft. of clear space in my garage....that took an entire rearrangement, a trip to the landfill, and an entire weekend to do so. While mad at myself for having so much useless junk, I was also quite proud of my ability to really pack in in there in the first place. I'm gonna make a great hoarder in my senior years.....

Starting to dread coming into work every day at this place. I think that's a sign....

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
All I do with charging dogs is stop and get off the far side of the bike, than talk the dog down.
This one was moving so fast that I would not have had any time to dismount my bike before it would have made contact with me. Dismount and talking the dog down is usually the best way to not get bit and that is what I do in most other situations.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Uneventful weekend in the rain and the muck. Mostly just played with Lil Man building epic Hot Wheels tracks. This weekend is supposed to be clear, looks clear from Tuesday on. So I will get the pooch out for sure.

I feel your pain @Greyhound, being here for 8 hours seems painful but at least it give me time to work on some things like training and lusting after bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wife's maternity leave is over, she has a sad. hard to believe 6 months have gone by this quickly.

also means i'm back in the office full time now. :stosh: while i dread this, it will be nice having the same schedule 5 days a week.

this weekend:

finished stacking next years firewood. it still needs split, but this is from the trees i had removed in august so it will get split in the spring. cleaned the garage a bit, still can't get my car in but soon. made a wall mount rack to hang my hitch rack. i am pleased with the results. did some cleaning around the house, got a bookshelf from ikea assembled, and the christmas tree is up. not as much as i was hoping to get done but far more than i usually accomplish. friday night the wife and i went climbing (her first time since she got pregnant with Maddie) then beers and wings afterwards. sushi saturday night.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dropping off child the younger, noon section meeting, and not much else on my personal docket for the day.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've ordered the new Light Actuation lever for my WT ReMote as the standard lever never gave me too many comforts and my thumb now started to protest in this cold weather. New Vee tire seems to be fine though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had to work a long day Saturday so I am a little annoyed with being at work. What was supposed to be a rain free week has started with a few downpours and pea soup fog. If things do dry up I may try my first post surgury ride back on dirt this coming weekend.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
finished stacking next years firewood. it still needs split, but this is from the trees i had removed in august so it will get split in the spring. .
If you are going to split it by hand, try to do it in the middle of winter. Wood splits easier the colder it is outside. If you wood is at all knotty, this could help you greatly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you are going to split it by hand, try to do it in the middle of winter. Wood splits easier the colder it is outside. If you wood is at all knotty, this could help you greatly.
for the amount of wood to be split...... hellllllllllllllllllllllll no i'm not splitting it by hand. honkey ain't got time for that.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley is heavy cough, residual fever sick now. Both Wifey and I are out of time off for the year, so I am now rolling into unpaid time. At least more housework is getting done.
Get to swap a light fixture today. Yeah! Electricity!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Haley is heavy cough, residual fever sick now. Both Wifey and I are out of time off for the year, so I am now rolling into unpaid time. At least more housework is getting done.
Get to swap a light fixture today. Yeah! Electricity!
Man... when I read about the amount of work you do... it tires me right out. I think a nap may be in order today!

On the work front: new manager... has called daily stand-ups instead of our customary weekly stand-ups for our team. Not sure how this will pan out...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What are "stand-ups"? Saying what shit you're working on?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I did manage to burn the bacon badly this morning because Haley needed help. Wifey's boss is a kosher Jew and her jacket now smells like bacon. The construction director just came by her office and said he can smell it down the hall. Hahaha. This is wonderful.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What are "stand-ups"? Saying what shit you're working on?
Yup - which is kind of dumb in the IT operations world.

I mean - how many days in a row am I going to say "yesterday I put out a bunch of unanticipated fires and today I plan to work on project work"? It's dumb enough having to say this once a week... much less every day. :mad:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I mean - how many days in a row am I going to say "yesterday I put out a bunch of unanticipated fires and today I plan to work on project work"? It's dumb enough having to say this once a week... much less every day. :mad:
let me guess, your new manager hasn't been a manager for very long

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

We had these when I worked pharmaceutical operations. 8:00 every morning state of operations and daily plan. Was a stress filled finger pointing and shouting-fest. Morning alarm signaled existential dread.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

:stupid:

When project tasks don't equate to daily worked items being touched, then a daily status of "same sh!t, different day" really loses it's impact. We have a weekly stand up that I feel is useless because we use an electronic Kanban board that shows individual tasks that are updated at least daily. All you have to do it look and see what I did, what is being worked, and what is yet to be in process.

I have 3 active stories and 5 in waiting. I got back, to back, to back emails about a story that is currently in 8th place. My reply was simply "That story has not been tasked out and is not currently in flight. It is ranked 8th according to our last priorities meeting, but if you would like me to move it to active, let me know and I will task it out." To which I got "You sent me an email saying you had done some work on the Sharepoint site, so I thought it was done." And yet the story to create the site is not in the done state (the site exists and has some stuff, but not nearly done)? Interesting...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would not be able to do daily task meetings. Fuck that. Lets take time out of the day away from doing tasks, to talk about why you're not completing your tasks?

We do a weekly meeting and it has slowly crept up to being 2 hours in length, which is to covered the tasks/issues/whatever at 9 buildings. 2 hours is still too long.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I got the flu & its kicking my ass more than @Westy likes blumpkins.
working on the mountain then skiing with a fever sure didnt help my recovery. :/