Quantcast

///? Monday BMT ?\\\

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Get a flu shot? Sounds like you're getting off pretty easy, flu-wise, if you can actually get *up* and go skiing...
No. but mulling it over after this weekend
Yesterday I called out. couldn't get out of bed being on the hill would have killed me. :dead:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
#CorporateAmerica
Agreed. I'm right smack in the middle of it, as well. A cubicle farm as far as the eye can see....and it's supposed to be a "creative" field at that. With rando anti-bongshed tests and cubicle farms, how can one be expected to be creative? I'm all jacked-up on Mt. Dew....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> We have a weekly stand up that I feel is useless because we use an electronic Kanban board that shows individual tasks that are updated at least daily. All you have to do it look and see what I did, what is being worked, and what is yet to be in process.
We've got one of those too... and I quit using it because... you guessed it - nobody would look at it to see what was being done, and then ask in the meeting what was being done. :rolleyes:

<snip>With rando anti-bongshed tests and cubicle farms, how can one be expected to be creative?
You do it in Colorado. Just ask @Full Trucker. He's a creative guy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
First CAH packet showed up. I'll take pictures later. New cards are... different. It just took it from a socially offensive game that everybody could enjoy to a politically charged game. They might need to be a group specific add-in.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Agreed. I'm right smack in the middle of it, as well. A cubicle farm as far as the eye can see....and it's supposed to be a "creative" field at that. With rando anti-bongshed tests and cubicle farms, how can one be expected to be creative? I'm all jacked-up on Mt. Dew....
i worked in a creative dept. like that, they tried to make it better by supplying free pepsi products, red bull & sweets. piss poor approach.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We've got one of those too... and I quit using it because... you guessed it - nobody would look at it to see what was being done, and then ask in the meeting what was being done. :rolleyes:
In my last "catch up" meeting, the boss said "you are the only one I have tracking status in VersionOne and I am still not sure what is going on". The reality is I am the only one that followed the directive to start tracking progress in VersionOne as was announced a few weeks ago in the team meeting. It wasn't my idea, I would rather not do it since I am the only one, and yet I am the one being called out for following directions. :disgust:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Holy shit it's windy out. Bus is getting blown around, went through a cloud of blowing leaves that was like driving into a swarm of locusts. so much crap flying though the air it was hard to see down the road. Wind gust of up to 69 mph have been clocked on the local hilltops with 45 mph winds here in town.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No. They didn't even see it. The dog was in a full sprint.
my grandfather had a very large german shepherd run into the drivers side door of his 67 beetle at full speed when he was driving through his neighborhood.....it bounced off the side and went back the way he came....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I got a flu shot this year and haven't yet had the flu. So there is that.

Also, RIP squirrely pit bull ... he probably wasn't going to hurt anyone. :hmm:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
No. but mulling it over after this weekend
http://fox8.com/2017/12/04/health-experts-this-years-flu-vaccine-only-10-effective/

This year, however, the virus appears to have mutated rendering the vaccine only about 10% effective.
Another study found almost 0 change in outcome for healthy adults.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/855937

And a 2014 Cochrane review examining use of flu vaccine in healthy adults, including pregnant women, concluded that:

[Influenza] vaccination shows no appreciable effect on working days lost or hospitalization.
I think you might be better off scarfing down some vitamin C and washing your hands more often.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
...and yet I am the one being called out for following directions. :disgust:
That means you have too much free time, expect some more work to head your way soon.

I just make my managers send an email at the start of the week with planned tasks and one at the end of the week summarizing outcomes.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'll still take the additional 10% chance of it working. Why not?
Cause side effects including, death and partial paralysis. Also going somewhere and getting stabbed by random people. And paying money if your insurance doesn't cover it.

The flu shot is not without its side effects. The CDC reports that people sometimes experience a sore arm at the injection shot. People may also experience a fever, muscle pain, hives, a rash, headache, nausea, and feelings of discomfort or weakness within a few days of the initial shot. In November 2015, out of those surveyed in a study published in the journal Vaccine, 86 to 92 percent reported redness while 50 to 59 percent reported swelling, and 33 to 45 percent reported itching.

There are some extreme reactions reported each flu season and though rare, have been considered life threatening. Up to 2 people out a million vaccinated experience potentially fatal illness, permanent disability, or even death. In extremely rare cases, the flu vaccine can cause Guillain-Barré syndrome, which is a neurological condition that causes weakness and paralysis throughout your entire body. But in the end, you’re more likely to die from getting the flu than experiencing an adverse effect from the flu vaccine.
Ok im back on board.
Honestly, it probably depends on how often you get sick. I don't get sick often (just jinxed myself) so it's pretty useless for me. But if you get the flu every year go for it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm mandated to get a flu shot each year by my employer. I also gel in and out of rooms and wash my hands like a normal person. All I know is that last year's flu-monia (influenza B confirmed in my younger kid, spread to all of us, and then me getting bacterial pneumonia at the tail end of it) was absolutely awful.

In other words I just checked the weather and it'll be around 26 degrees at commute hours tomorrow. I think I'll take the electric car with its heated seats and 71 degree interior ambient temperature.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Ever hear of herd immunity you selfish shit nozzle?
Hey fella, calm your tits.

Herd immunity for a flu vaccine would only work if they multiple guess the right viruses every year. It's not like the polio vaccine where it works and polio isn't a thing round here no more. Just look at Toshi's example.

I'm mandated to get a flu shot each year by my employer. I also gel in and out of rooms and wash my hands like a normal person. All I know is that last year's flu-monia (influenza B confirmed in my younger kid, spread to all of us, and then me getting bacterial pneumonia at the tail end of it) was absolutely awful.

Last edited: