Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Drag race on the runway was this weekend. Got to watch people with expensive toys blow their cash taking turns running down 17R and taxi way Alpha. While an amusing distraction from work, I'd not pay to go see such a thing. GT-R is stupid fast. Hill Climb is next weekend. I'd pay to see that, yet still have never gone. One day I suppose.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning. Commute in 95% humidity is killing me. I guess I'll be daydreaming about yesterday's DH at Thunder and do some meh work in between.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
predicting i will not make it to atlanta for chapelles 10 o'clock show tonight.....i could use the sleep if i could.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Installed a front door yesterday. That was a first. All went decently well and I have the spray foam all over my hands to show for it. Now it's time to "work".

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Drag race on the runway was this weekend. Got to watch people with expensive toys blow their cash taking turns running down 17R and taxi way Alpha. While an amusing distraction from work, I'd not pay to go see such a thing. GT-R is stupid fast. Hill Climb is next weekend. I'd pay to see that, yet still have never gone. One day I suppose.
If you can make it, hill climbs are a very cool form of racing

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Got a good ride in this weekend, but one of the trails kicked my ass. I now know that I am not yet ready for the more advanced trails. Must work on my climbing legs. A damn biting insect or three got inside my shirt and tore my ass up and now I have itchy welts all over my torso and back. Sat in the pool the rest of the day and drank beer, did a bunch of nothing yesterday, got a cool handmade knife for fathers day and the wives cooked us steak and asparagus on the grill at the club. Wanted to play tennis, but every 45 minutes or so a rain shower would come along and moisten the courts.

Now back to your regularly scheduled work week.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Haley's frame is down to raw on 99%, just the head tube weld and some misc spots around the seat tube/seat stay junction. I'm on the fence about just getting it sprayed and not having to do the details of the stripping.

Her birthday went well. The kids did somehow manage to damage the bouncy house, as it's not holding air that well anymore. That's going to be a fun project to deal with...

Also, here and FTS.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Weekend summary time!

Took the little rascal out creek romping on Saturday

Nano lobster

Black corn wriggler

Then managed to re-surface this berm and reinforce the cribbing with cedar...would be running nao if not for this shit weather

The drank a dadly amount of german sodas.

Took the old man and the rascal out for a kayak paddle Sunday morning, then relaxing at the lake beach for awhile (obviously peed in said lake). Then grabbed the pup for a slippery, post rain @Gary ride and even captured the moment when jeebus favored us with his celestial flashlight

And yes, this fucking humidity sucks orange Trump balls (even if they are exceptionally small)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. 80 miles of MTB over the weekend and I am feeling it today. That was fun. I should MTB more often. :monkey: It was kind of sad though riding some really nice, really expensive demo bikes and then having to get back on mine. Bikes have come a long way since I was last in the market for one (2005/2006).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
'Morning. 80 miles of MTB over the weekend and I am feeling it today. That was fun. I should MTB more often. :monkey: It was kind of sad though riding some really nice, really expensive demo bikes and then having to get back on mine. Bikes have come a long way since I was last in the market for one (2005/2006).
the obvious solution here is give up tri's and go back to mountain biking full time. we'd love to have you back.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
what bikes did you demo, and what did you like best?
Pfft, let me answer that for you -

* 29er
* Crabon
* Platinum Bald Eagle Drive train with a 70 tooth big cog
* Maxxis DHR2 tires for traxxtion, but with Schwalbe Nobby Nics stuffed inside for unprecedented sidewall protection
* Suspension design with 100% anti-skwatz no matter what gear combo...it's obviously patented
* $12K price tag

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
what bikes did you demo, and what did you like best?
DEMO REPORT:

I tried four bikes. Friday's demo was cancelled due to heavy rain and muddy trails. So, I crammed in what I could Saturday. Vendors were asking people to keep the demo rides under an hour. These were all really fun t ride, especially compared to my current ride. There was no learning curve in getting used to 29" wheels and a single front ring. In order of what I liked best:

BMC Fourstroke 01. This was a fast XC machine. I am surprised at how much I liked it. It climbed amazingly well and I am not used to flying past so many people on climbs. It's so much different than the RFX and Quasi Moto bikes I've ridden for the last 15 years. Very, very XC-ish...kind of stiff and not very forgiving, but it hauled ass. I shouldn't be too surprised at how much I liked it since that's just where I am right now. $8500 though, so FTS.

Pivot Mach 429 sl. This was a very fun bike to ride. Soft, smooth, and fast. The Pivot guy let me take it for 2.5 hours and 12 miles. I would have been happy to ride this bike all day but I did want to try other bikes.

Santa Cruz Tallboy. I didn't know too much about Santa Cruz bikes and took this out because they had it in my size and I needed a bike to ride. It'd need to ride this and the Pivot again to getting a better feel for which I liked more. They were both awesome rides. The Tallboy felt great flying down technical downhill trails and I was surprised when DW told me it was a 4" travel bike. It felt like more.

BMC Agonist 01. Brand stinkin new, just released by BMC. A toned down trail friendlier version of the Fourstroke. The BMC guy told me I was the second person in America to ride one (not sure about that). Another great bike but I did like the Fourstroke better.

Four bike demos for 28 miles total. I'd love to own any one of these bikes. I'd have liked to try some more bikes though. Evil, Transition, Rocky Mountain, Cannondale, Yeti, Surly, Salsa (and more, I'm sure) all had demo tents with bikes to take out.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

were there any Tesla's?
If you can make it, hill climbs are a very cool form of racing
I test drove my buddy's Tesla this weekend. was my first time in a sports car, so I have no reference, but it was stupid fast and smooth. The road out by the cottage goes around the lake, then up a hill over a saddle. I wanted to take it there, caus' it seems to me hills are what separates the wheat from the chaff wrt power. this car had power in spades. doing 130 km/h up a small road through s-turns is fun. Until you crest the hill and land in gravel. the owner of the car wasn't too impressed :oops:. so we stopped and turned around. fun would be an understatement.:wub:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Santa Cruz Tallboy. I didn't know too much about Santa Cruz bikes and took this out because they had it in my size and I needed a bike to ride. It'd need to ride this and the Pivot again to getting a better feel for which I liked more. They were both awesome rides. The Tallboy felt great flying down technical downhill trails and I was surprised when DW told me it was a 4" travel bike. It felt like more.

Having it setup 1x with a dropper is key. When I demoed a Tallboy it was 2x with a non-dropper post and it felt much more XCish due to that. My 5010 is just one more small step burlier from the Tallboy: 1 degree slacker, a few more mm of cush but otherwise similar. I find it quite adequate.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
DEMO REPORT:

I tried four bikes. Friday's demo was cancelled due to heavy rain and muddy trails. So, I crammed in what I could Saturday. Vendors were asking people to keep the demo rides under an hour. These were all really fun t ride, especially compared to my current ride. There was no learning curve in getting used to 29" wheels and a single front ring. In order of what I liked best:

BMC Fourstroke 01. This was a fast XC machine. I am surprised at how much I liked it. It climbed amazingly well and I am not used to flying past so many people on climbs. It's so much different than the RFX and Quasi Moto bikes I've ridden for the last 15 years. Very, very XC-ish...kind of stiff and not very forgiving, but it hauled ass. I shouldn't be too surprised at how much I liked it since that's just where I am right now. $8500 though, so FTS.

Pivot Mach 429 sl. This was a very fun bike to ride. Soft, smooth, and fast. The Pivot guy let me take it for 2.5 hours and 12 miles. I would have been happy to ride this bike all day but I did want to try other bikes.

BMC Agonist 01. Brand stinkin new, just released by BMC. A toned down trail friendlier version of the Fourstroke. The BMC guy told me I was the second person in America to ride one (not sure about that). Another great bike but I did like the Fourstroke better.

Four bike demos for 28 miles total. I'd love to own any one of these bikes. I'd have liked to try some more bikes though. Evil, Transition, Rocky Mountain, Cannondale, Yeti, Surly, Salsa (and more, I'm sure) all had demo tents with bikes to take out.
Sounds like a good time.

The Transition guys were pretty cool at the Dirt Fest demo. Myself and a buddy took two of their bikes on a 3 hour loop. When we got back those guys were stoked to hear our feedback and offered beer.

On the other hand, a buddy demo'd a Giant and the moment he went over an hour on the bike (we were gone that time maybe 1.2 hours) they sent him a text asking where the hell he was. And then scolded him when he arrived back at the tent. Not the way to sell bikes.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sounds like a good time.

The Transition guys were pretty cool at the Dirt Fest demo. Myself and a buddy took two of their bikes on a 3 hour loop. When we got back those guys were stoked to hear our feedback and offered beer.

On the other hand, a buddy demo'd a Giant and the moment he went over an hour on the bike (we were gone that time maybe 1.2 hours) they sent him a text asking where the hell he was. And then scolded him when he arrived back at the tent. Not the way to sell bikes.
The Evil guys told splat the longer he was out, the less work they had to do.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So speaking of new bikes, we did all this because the wife wants a new MTB and it is "her turn" for a new bike. Right now the Yeti 4.5 is the clubhouse leader but this is going to be a loooooong process. I'd just go out and buy something. Wife will test and retest and research and ask around and compare shops and warranties and prices.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So speaking of new bikes, we did all this because the wife wants a new MTB and it is "her turn" for a new bike. Right now the Yeti 4.5 is the clubhouse leader but this is going to be a loooooong process. I'd just go out and buy something. Wife will test and retest and research and ask around and compare shops and warranties and prices.
unless you have kids there's absolutely no rational basis for you to be "taking turns" buying bikes. hell, you could probably get a deal from a shop if you bought 2.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Pfft, let me answer that for you -

* 29er
* Crabon
* Platinum Bald Eagle Drive train with a 70 tooth big cog
* Maxxis DHR2 tires for traxxtion, but with Schwalbe Nobby Nics stuffed inside for unprecedented sidewall protection
* Suspension design with 100% anti-skwatz no matter what gear combo...it's obviously patented
* $12K price tag
you left out "Boost".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
unless you have kids there's absolutely no rational basis for you to be "taking turns" buying bikes. hell, you could probably get a deal from a shop if you bought 2.
This. DINKs. Come on now, buy all the bikes!