Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snow cams are showing snow really picking up in the mountains in the past few hours.

Yasssssssss

(I’ll be at A Basin on Wednesday, Breck Saturday.)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
replaced various lowbeam; parking; and tail light bulbs that seem to have gone out in concert over the past few weeks on teh wife’s r350, which we’re still clinging to b/c it’s a great family car.

installed new rear tire (tubeless, seated and sealed, first try) and new170 cranks on teh 650b26 bromad. also, via teh googles, found a simple fix to the play in my old atlas pedals (spindle is a touch too long - file down the tip a touch) and fixed ‘em.

watched o’lympix for a sec...i swear those ice dancing couples jizzed themselves while they performed, based on their interactions as they finished their routines.

re: management levels-so glad there’s only one above me.

got called by a headhunter for a job outside LA. it would almost triple my salary...but LA? is pasadena area close enough to nature to make it worth it???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re LA: the question is whether you could afford a nice house with a good commute even on that triple salary.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Pasadena. stones throw from the Angeles National Forest, San Gabriel Mountains . Lots of Riding, Backpacking, Climbing { Tahquitz and Joshua Tree}, skiing {Big Bear and Wrightwood) great Scuba Diving ( Malbu off the northern Beaches and The Channel Islands by Dive Boat) within a two hour drive, But still it's the shit hole called Los Angeles. I did grow up there and had a blast in the mountains. It was coming back to town that I hated

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Test drove L.A. a decade a go. There is a lot to love, and a whole lot to hate. Depends on what you are into. If you like Cackalacka, there ain't a lot of Cackalacka there, nor traction.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Pasadena. stones throw from the Angeles National Forest, San Gabriel Mountains . Lots of Riding, Backpacking, Climbing { Tahquitz and Joshua Tree}, skiing {Big Bear and Wrightwood) great Scuba Diving ( Malbu off the northern Beaches and The Channel Islands by Dive Boat) within a two hour drive, But still it's the shit hole called Los Angeles. I did grow up there and had a blast in the mountains. It was coming back to town that I hated
let's assume yes, as i'd be commuting to san marino, living within a 15 mile radius away from LA proper, and on that salary could afford a ~1m home.
Test drove L.A. a decade a go. There is a lot to love, and a whole lot to hate. Depends on what you are into. If you like Cackalacka, there ain't a lot of Cackalacka there, nor traction.
I love LA, but I would also never live there unless I had A LOT more money. Our friends that we visit regularly live in Eagle Rock, which is basically Pasadena (I've run from their home, past Pasadena city hall and to the Rose Bowl from their house). It's a beautiful area, but its expensive. For instance, these condos are just around the corner from our friends. 750K for a condo seems like a stretch I'm not willing to make, personally. Eric is right, the hills are close by, and the oceans not far, and there is plenty of outdoor shit to do, but if you get caught in traffic, which there almost always is, it can take HOURS to get anywhere. I suspect it would be a very big change for you.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How's it handle the snow?
It has Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUVs on it, and with those it handles it just fine. I highly recommend the Limited trim: heated wheel, vented seats, and fancy adaptive cruise with stop and go (not sure how much of these exist on the other trims). The cruise control is amazing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love LA, but I would also never live there unless I had A LOT more money. Our friends that we visit regularly live in Eagle Rock, which is basically Pasadena (I've run from their home, past Pasadena city hall and to the Rose Bowl from their house). It's a beautiful area, but its expensive. For instance, these condos are just around the corner from our friends. 750K for a condo seems like a stretch I'm not willing to make, personally. Eric is right, the hills are close by, and the oceans not far, and there is plenty of outdoor shit to do, but if you get caught in traffic, which there almost always is, it can take HOURS to get anywhere. I suspect it would be a very big change for you.

I spent two years on the north side in the S.F valley on a project for work. The company wanted me to move there, was interested but wanted to test it out. It didn't take me very long to realize I preferred my little town in Virginia. Of course I wasn't facing a 3X salary bump either.

The weather is nice, mountains are nearby, food is great and the people are weird but nice. What really made the difference to me was just the sheer size of it and how crowded it was. L.A. is just a giant stripmall, it is hard to tell the difference between Santa Monica, Redondo, Orange County because it is all one unending strip mall with the same El Pollo Locos and Starbucks.

There were always trails nearby. I could ride out of my hotel after work an get into the mountains pretty easy. But those trails were generally not that much fun, crowded with other bikers, dog walkers and runners. The really fun trails required a fair bit of driving, but were still crowded. I would drive up to Ojai and ride with T-dog and we would have to get on the trail by 6:00 AM or we would have to face hoards of other bikes and horses on the way down. Descending through traffic sucks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I spent two years on the north side in the S.F valley on a project for work. The company wanted me to move there, was interested but wanted to test it out. It didn't take me very long to realize I preferred my little town in Virginia. Of course I wasn't facing a 3X salary bump either.

The weather is nice, mountains are nearby, food is great and the people are weird but nice. What really made the difference to me was just the sheer size of it and how crowded it was. L.A. is just a giant stripmall, it is hard to tell the difference between Santa Monica, Redondo, Orange County because it is all one unending strip mall with the same El Pollo Locos and Starbucks.

There were always trails nearby. I could ride out of my hotel after work an get into the mountains pretty easy. But those trails were generally not that much fun, crowded with other bikers, dog walkers and runners. The really fun trails required a fair bit of driving, but were still crowded. I would drive up to Ojai and ride with T-dog and we would have to get on the trail by 6:00 AM or we would have to face hoards of other bikes and horses on the way down. Descending through traffic sucks.
i would generally agree with this. trails are mediocre at best, and crowded. and often use group conflicts.

there's some epic riding to be had (san juan trail others), but it will involve driving. in LA, everything involves lots of driving. most major highways are bumper to bumper traffic 23 hours a day.

and agree, it's just one big urban sprawl. you cross the street and you're in another town. it's... odd. unless you grew up in that kind of environment.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i would generally agree with this. trails are mediocre at best, and crowded. and often use group conflicts.

there's some epic riding to be had (san juan trail others), but it will involve driving. in LA, everything involves lots of driving. most major highways are bumper to bumper traffic 23 hours a day.

and agree, it's just one big urban sprawl. you cross the street and you're in another town. it's... odd. unless you grew up in that kind of environment.
The dirt is also highly questionable. Low traction moon dust or marbles on concrete.