Quantcast

***Monday, monday, MONDAY!!!!! GMT***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Pouring rain this morning. it should continue through tuesday night. This should end the fire season in the northern part of California with 2-4 inches of rain falling. On the other hand my job will be a shit show as dimwits will try and continue to speed on the commute and cause accidents everywhere. I shall be wearing all my reflective gear in an attempt to not get hit by speeding soccer moms rushing their precious little cargo through the neighborhoods.

Gimme some coffee

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
It's above freezing for the first time in a couple weeks. I seriously felt over dressed leaving the house this morning wearing a winter coat. it's even supposed to hit the 40s tomorrow. 8-)

Mini-me had his first ski lessons of the season yesterday. He did okay but definitely lacks motivation at times.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Hey snow-monkey's....we're taking my 11-yr. old skiing for the first time - what would you suggest he learn on - snowboard or skis?

Just like a large portion of the country, we're cold, but I see temps back up near 70 by Friday. I feel a sudden onset of long weekend flu coming on....

Birthday party for my son this evening. I picked him up a compound bow with a few target bags over the weekend. The dog is understandably nervous.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Who turned the heat on? 20F felt like tropics this morning. The temperature swings that are coming are going to be wild and nasty, from -5F yesterday to 55 and rain on Friday, then back to teens next Monday. Flu season, here we come. :dead:
Work keeps sucking but boss apologized to me for the mess he created last week. Looks like he still needs someone who actually gets things done. :twitch:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Good Morning!!

Hey snow-monkey's....we're taking my 11-yr. old skiing for the first time - what would you suggest he learn on - snowboard or skis?

Just like a large portion of the country, we're cold, but I see temps back up near 70 by Friday. I feel a sudden onset of long weekend flu coming on....

Birthday party for my son this evening. I picked him up a compound bow with a few target bags over the weekend. The dog is understandably nervous.
i picked up skiing MUCH quicker. people told me to try snowboarding, as i skateboarded a lot, but they’re not similar at all and i had a miserable time.

19 out the door this AM. c’mon 60s, where you at?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Not much to report, lots of driving this weekend and UPS lost something of mine, again. Trailer pick up had to be delayed to this upcoming weekend due to scheduling issues, so at least I have something to look forward to!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Every year in early January my boss thinks he can save money and send only 2 employees to the Berlin Film Market. So he buys only 2 hotel rooms early on and then tells his assistant to wait till the lineup is full. Every year, of course, there is so much work that it's a lot even for 7 people. So he ends up paying more because he buys hotel rooms closer to the Berlin Film Festival. Great logic. Especially for a company that will spend millions if not tens of millions on content there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Today is supposed to be my academic day, but sadly I cannot faff off all day. Presentation to prepare, section meeting to participate in, two intererviews (for a biostatistician and a radiologist, the latter to replace one who is leaving) to do, and then dinner out with the faculty candidate and a few others from my section to see if they're a goon or not.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Here.

It's Monday..

Greyhound, I learned the slopes on skis, but got hooked on snowboarding. I think it worked out well. Being older, I prefer having both feet on one plank, less risk to the knees for twisting, I think...

Work is dead, so ill pull my pud waiting for 5:30 to roll around...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Like many other monkeys on the East Coast, we're finally thawing out a little after a week'n half of Planet Hoth conditions. Certainly confirmed my utter disdain for sub-freezing conditions when it comes to bio-cycles, but I did manage to cut in some new trail and work on some technical dirt lumps. Crazy cold also caused a water main break extravaganza, which sucked with me being on-call during much of misery.

50°+ temps inbound this week, so I am hopeful to break out the bio-cycle at some point. Chili for lunch, so tonight will likely be fraught with bio-gas...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good Morning!!

I learned to ski at an early age. Picked up a snowboard for a couple years in my teens. Seemed to me that basic fundamentals were easier on a snowboard, but then there was this kind of plateau into more advanced riding I couldn't get over. Wanted back into the trees and moguls, so went back to skis in my early 20's and that's all I've done since. My daughter is 9 and skis exclusively. She thinks snowboarding is silly because "all they do is sit down."

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
life man.
curveballs have been thrown.
time to really keep my eye on the ball.

god i hate using sports analogies >.<

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I learned to ski at an early age. Picked up a snowboard for a couple years in my teens. Seemed to me that basic fundamentals were easier on a snowboard, but then there was this kind of plateau into more advanced riding I couldn't get over. Wanted back into the trees and moguls, so went back to skis in my early 20's and that's all I've done since. My daughter is 9 and skis exclusively. She thinks snowboarding is silly because "all they do is sit down."

Thanks for the feedback! After 15 years on the snowboard, I'm returning to skis this year. I think my son will appreciate that I'll be about as much of a noob on two planks as he will be.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After sleeping awesome throughout the holidays, both boys were up last night. I am fucking dragging ass at work today. work, which was full-gas from the moment I arrived. after biking in through a snow-storm. snow that the city hadn't plowed.

at least my new hoops were waiting for me in the mail room. Now I have all the parts I need to have my King hubs laced to new hoops for my Tranny. Now I have to figure out whether to lace the DT swiss hubs to the old rims on my Ibis and sell it, or see if I can find a good deal on a pre-built 26" wheelset, and sell the DT swiss hubs separately.... ugh, white people problems.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Good Morning!!

I would say skis first if they were younger 4-8 but being 11 I would let them choose because if they want to board & are forced into skiing or vice versa they are not gonna have a good time.