Quantcast

-- Monday's Ride/Activity Thread --

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone do anything exciting over the weekend? Saturday the family and I went and cut down our christmas trees. It may not sound like much, but let me tell ya... dragging a 15' tree 1/2 mile across the tree farm just about sucks.

Still no riding though :dead:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
exciting? Hmm, looked that way Friday night - w/this cute 27 year old brunette, but I ended up going home alone :oh well:

oh I did do 1 hour of cardio at the gym yesterday

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Did some time on the trainer and a little trail riding... but the majority of the weekend was spent getting leaves off my lawn :(

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Worked all weekend and have a nasty head-cold. :dead: No riding. Going to a concert tomorrow night in Troy and then to Boston on Thurs. for some riding and another concert. Hope my cold is gone by then.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
15 miles 1500 feet rocky base minimal mud rippin bermy descents.
Minimal breaks pretty cool and windy now but i couldn't complain since the ride fell inbetween rain storms. Showed 4 other riders a sweet loop 3 of em had never hit those trails before, good times.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No riding this past weekend. Just a single trip to the gym. MBC and I got a lot of stuff done around the house though, so it was a productive weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Oh also i took a spinning class on Friday night at they Y. i thought after a tough week of work it would help me to punish myself. kind of weird but the first part of the ride i couldn't get into a rythym. Oh well it'll pay off by meeting hotties at the class i'm sure.... :p

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
Anyone do anything exciting over the weekend? Saturday the family and I went and cut down our christmas trees. It may not sound like much, but let me tell ya... dragging a 15' tree 1/2 mile across the tree farm just about sucks.

Still no riding though :dead:

Dang trees ALWAYS look a lot smaller when you are in the woods.... a tree that looks small when you cut it, often seems to be HUGE when you go to put it up in the house.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Made it to the gym Friday night. First exercise all week due to an f'in cold.

Took the bike for a spin around the neighborhood to test the bars Loco is letting me borrow before I chop mine. Felt good, but made my hands hurt, hmmmm.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wumpus said:
Do you not own a lawnmower? Mow those things with a mulching lawnmower, and you get free fertilizer and save a lot of time.
If her fertilizes, the grass will be healthier and grow faster. Do you not remember his post this summer about how tall his grass was because any time it was nice enough to mow it was also nice enough to ride???

I think he should leave them on the lawn - perhaps they'll suffocate the grass and he won't have anything to mow come summer time. That means he won't have anything else to think about on those nice summer days but riding.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Wumpus said:
Do you not own a lawnmower? Mow those things with a mulching lawnmower, and you get free fertilizer and save a lot of time.
I have a mulching lawnmower. I don't think you understand how many leaves there were. Besides the town comes with a huge vacuum and sucks them up if we put them by the road.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
15' tree? damn, how big is yr house? and what kind of stand do you need to secure that monster?

no rides for me, althoguh yesterday was beautiful. raked leaves, got the xmas tree, and put up outside lights. then went to a party.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Like I said, I don't think you understand the size of the tree in my front yard, and how many leaves it drops. Even if I chopped them up into tiny pieces, they would still completely suffocate and kill the grass.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Wumpus said:
Ain't going to happen.
Seriously man, I appreciate your concern, however mulching lawnmowers don't pick up a 4 inch layer of wet leaves. Maybe if they were dry it would work, but then they would just blow away anyways.

And the town I live in does make a profit from the mulch.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I went to New York City with Laura this weekend. Her friend was getting married. We stayed at the Algonquin Hotel - but nope I didn't order the 10,000 Martini ;)

The wedding was at the chapel at Columbia University, Dinner at Monte's - great italian food with super cool old italian guy waiters - it rocked.

Sunday Laura and I took a walk down 5th Avenue to Rockefeller Center, watched the skaters, window shopped at Saks 5th Avenue, went inside St. Patrick's Cathedral - so beautiful, walked around the Library where they had an outdoor plaza filled with vendors and artisans, walked around Times Square and the theater district and just had a blast.

The weather was awesome and I saw a lot of cool bicycle rickshaw like drivers down in Manhattan. Looked like it would be a fun gig.

Manhattan is just such a cool city to visit! :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
15' tree? damn, how big is yr house? and what kind of stand do you need to secure that monster?
It isn't our tree... it's my step-mother's tree (they went with us). She's got cathedral ceilings, so she gets em as big as she can... only concern is fitting it in the door. Her stand has 5 legs.. they are basically rebar coated with some kind of plastic/rubber stuff to protect the floors. The truck of the tree is drilled to fit over a 1/2" diameter 6" long spike. The legs are about 5' in diameter.

FWIW... ours is only an 8' tree.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Wumpus said:
Did you get another new bike, biggins?
yeah its my new dh rig, i dont like it a whjole lot though, the bottom bracket and center of gravity are a little high.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
narlus said:
you riding @ harold parker?
:think: That sounds right. Is it decent? We're going to ride for a couple hours and then go back to my friends place for beers before we going into the city for a show at the Paradise. Hopefully there won't be much snow on the ground there....

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Some State Park in or around Andover. Meeting by buddy at his house in Andover at 2pm on Thurs! You free??????
I would guess Harold Parker as well. There's some nice singletrack there. Sadly, I have to work. Otherwise, I would join you. Just started the new gig today, so probably not a good idea to take time off yet. :sneaky: