Quantcast

-- Monday's Ride Thread --

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Trainer. Right now it's less than 0 degrees farenheit outside, I ain't that hardcore :nope:
Yea... I tried to ride yesterday... 7 degrees, but a wind chill of -17. Barely got to the end of my driveway.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
Here:

-2°F
Mostly Cloudy

Feels Like -23°F
Same here! No riding this weekend. I'm going to try and ride on Thurs. if the temp gets up past 20 F, and we (SMBA) have a club "Holiday/Festivus" ride scheduled for the 26th. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got in two looong rides in this weekend. It was cold but not very cold, high 30's.

Sunday my friend found a nice crack in the swingarm of his Ellsworth Truth. He's bummed, cared for that bike like it was a museum piece, it's a piece of something allright.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Had a nice long ride yesterday in the FREEZING cold...thank god for my polar fleece socks!!! Rode just about all the trails at SMBA (Carriage loop - to the wall - to carriage loop - to High Roller - to high noon - to bee loop - to inner loop extension - to 107 - to powerlines - to carriage and out) only missed the damn loop and sybil (which appears to be in the line of logging again). About 2.25 hours of riding and under 30 degrees. The ground was frozen and there was some ice, but it was a great ride while the snowflakes were coming down :D

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Wow, it was a balmy 6 degrees F in Simsbury, CT this morning. :) MBC was outside at 6:15 working the new snowblower. BRRRRAP BRAP BRAP!!!!
How Much Snow did you guys get ? we have gotten may be 2 inches , but it is still snowing.

as for rides I did a 37 mile road ride yesterday on the Tandem with My Son, Temps were in the Low to Mid 20's

J

JRB

It was perfect here, yet I couldn't get everything done to ride. I plan on a night ride tonight. I hope to ride with Wumpus tomorrow night.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
How Much Snow did you guys get ? we have gotten may be 2 inches , but it is still snowing.

as for rides I did a 37 mile road ride yesterday on the Tandem with My Son, Temps were in the Low to Mid 20's
We got about five inches on top of a layer of sleet. It was still coming down when I left for work this morning at 6:30.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It was in the high 50s (maybe 60) here yesterday. I took the Bullit out for it's second trail ride. A friend of mine and I did the Dakota ridge / Matthews Winters loop. It was almost completely dry except for a piece of the trail on the north side of one of the mountains. That is such a fun trail! And, I love having the random warm days where I can ride in shorts & a tshirt in the witner here. I'm really going to enjoy riding that bike this summer!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
I plan on a night ride tonight. I hope to ride with Wumpus tomorrow night.
Not unless you are calling in sick and riding at noon. Susan is off tomorrow so I'm getting in my daylight rides before the big chill.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Not unless you are calling in sick and riding at noon. Susan is off tomorrow so I'm getting in my daylight rides before the big chill.
:nuts: no can do :(

I hooked up the Bob trailer yesterday and delivered a maple burl that I had cut to a friend in Bristol, maybe ten miles away. Almost killed myself - the burl weighed oh, sixty pounds, and was big enough so the trailer was a little top heavy. At some point I headed downhill and got into a speed wobble that I thought was going to have me plastered all over the Plank Road. I eventually got there and back.

As long as I had the Bob set up, I did a little bridge construction behind my house, documented elsewhere.

Today started out five below, fierce north wind, and three or four inches of snow. I don't think I'll try riding.

J

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rode saturday. Temps were warm and the ground was frozen. Awesome traction. Rode a combo of Ellison park and Tryon. It was fun. 15 miles total mostly offroad. Probably the latest I have ever rode at Tryon (dec. 18th). Probably won't be able to ride there until next year :( . Stopped by TrailBlazers on sunday and said hello to Victor. That is all.....jdcamb

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
jdcamb said:
Probably the latest I have ever rode at Tryon (dec. 18th). Probably won't be able to ride there until next year :( . Stopped by TrailBlazers on sunday and said hello to Victor. That is all.....jdcamb
Why is Tryon done for the year? Like you said... the ground is finally frozen - this is prime winter riding.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jacksonpt said:
Why is Tryon done for the year? Like you said... the ground is finally frozen - this is prime winter riding.
The dog walkers and the XC skiers stomp down the trails we ride. Very few of them utilize Tryon so the trails in there down get stomped down. We have plenty of other places that do get stomped down so we ride there. As long as the snow stays away we may be able to get another ride in there. Or if we get a thaw and then the ground freezes? Hey you never know. By this time we usually have more snow........jdcamb

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
jdcamb said:
The dog walkers and the XC skiers stomp down the trails we ride. Very few of them utilize Tryon so the trails in there down get stomped down. We have plenty of other places that do get stomped down so we ride there. As long as the snow stays away we may be able to get another ride in there. Or if we get a thaw and then the ground freezes? Hey you never know. By this time we usually have more snow........jdcamb
Interesting... the XC skiers just turn the trails to ice around here, so I can't ride after them.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
jacksonpt said:
Interesting... the XC skiers just turn the trails to ice around here, so I can't ride after them.
Pretty much what they turn them to here. Ahhh the wonders of Tubeless tires :D ......jdcamb

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
I hooked up the Bob trailer yesterday and delivered a maple burl that I had cut to a friend in Bristol, maybe ten miles away.
My first stint with a Bob trailer will be next week for 60 miles across the desert in Big Bend. Camping over night. Should be fun. Should also be warmer than when we hike up to the Rim and camp over night.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
How did you like it? Not much for climbing and craziness, but fun nonetheless.
Not bad at all. The twisty stuff close to the river has some excellent bridge work, and the section around the pond is real nice. Found an awesome downhill along a rock wall coming from the top of Goat Hill that ended up at Goat Hill lock. I got some directions from another rider on how to get to the stuff across 122, so next time.................