Quantcast

-- Monday's Ride Thread --

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Had a killer ride yesterday - weather was perfect (60 and sunny) and I was feeling really good. I did about 3.5 hours and I'm guessing about 25 miles of XC on my favorite trails. Because of all the rain, I hadn't ridden there in about 2 months - it was good to be back. My 575 really shines there... and I had a 3 hour reminder of how great a bike it is. The fast, rough singletrack is a blast on this bike and the slow, tight switchbacks are a breeze. The bike climbs well enough, climbs great when you consider it's a 28lb 6" travel bike. I was really impressed with the Hopes yesterday, as there were a few times I had to really get on the brakes. They feel great, and are very consistent. My Conti Verticals simply kick ass in all conditions. I can't say enough good about this bike.

As funny as it may sound... I'm also learning how to ride better. I've found myself burning out after about an hour the last few times out. Turns out, it's because I was trying to spin the highest RPMs I could in my biggest cog on climbs. I slowed down my cadence a bit and used slightly harder gears. Found out I could ride longer and was generally in better control of my bike.

It was a solo ride, so I only have a few post-ride bike pics. The trails were drier than I thought, but still had plenty of gooshy spots.

So, anyone else ride this weekend? Anyone riding today/tonight?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
From the condition of that bike, it looks like you had fun. I got covered with muck on Saturday at Killington doing some "lift assisted trail riding." I hesitate to call it downhill because of the damn uphills. Glad I have a Bullit, because pedaling up some of those hills on a real DH bike would have sucked. It was still fun though - we got over 30 miles in! I was barely able to walk yesterday, so no riding for me even though the weather was great.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
3.5 hours solo...impressive!

30 minutes into my ride Friday, my chain came off and jammed / I couldnt get it out - so had my 1st walk back to the parking lot this year

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
30 minutes into my ride Friday, my chain came off and jammed / I couldnt get it out - so had my 1st walk back to the parking lot this year
Bummer man... walkouts suck (I've had 1 this summer). Were you able to get it fixed once you got back to your truck? Or did you have to scratch the ride?

J

JRB

It rained Saturday and I was a slug yesterday. I planned to ride, but did not. I did sand and paint an old manitou mars.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
Bummer man... walkouts suck (I've had 1 this summer). Were you able to get it fixed once you got back to your truck? Or did you have to scratch the ride?
being the chain wa stuck so was the crank / I was hoping on to ride/coast the dh sections and I must have loosened the chain cause a couple guys wanted to help me, so flipped the bike - and looky there its 1/2 way unstuck - yank -pull and got it

I was about 1/4 mile from the car and being I had plans (it was friday!) / I scraped the ride

no rides sat or sun either (that was spent being a construction worker on my own house)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i did my 1st trail ride since being back. my buddy is loaning me his enduro w/ talas fork, and that bike kicks ass. even though my stamina is pisspoor, i was able to make all the tech, bony climbs. am sold on the 4 bar hype; i've been a single pivot or hardtail guy all along.

good stuff. what do you think i should offer for this bike:

'02 (maybe '03?) enduro expert w/ fox float shock (has lockout)
king headset
hugi front wheel/mavic 217
king rear wheel/rhyno lite
avid mech disks
talas RLC fork
generic post
flite saddle
azonic stem
race cranks and bb
xt shifter/ders
answer protaper bar

the bike is in very good condition, and the fork is basically brand new. i was thinking somewhere around 1500 for it; does that sound like a fair deal?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Still no riding for me! Anyone ever pull a calf muscle? I pulled my right calf at Northstar two weeks ago and it still hurts like a bitch. I can not even squat down because of the soreness. I tore the same calf muscle skiing a few years ago and walked around with a limp for several months.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
i did my 1st trail ride since being back. my buddy is loaning me his enduro w/ talas fork, and that bike kicks ass. even though my stamina is pisspoor, i was able to make all the tech, bony climbs. am sold on the 4 bar hype; i've been a single pivot or hardtail guy all along.

good stuff. what do you think i should offer for this bike:

'02 (maybe '03?) enduro expert w/ fox float shock (has lockout)
king headset
hugi front wheel/mavic 217
king rear wheel/rhyno lite
avid mech disks
talas RLC fork
generic post
flite saddle
azonic stem
race cranks and bb
xt shifter/ders
answer protaper bar

the bike is in very good condition, and the fork is basically brand new. i was thinking somewhere around 1500 for it; does that sound like a fair deal?
I think you should buy my Belair frame instead Tim. ;)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I took a kickass ride at Letchworth State Park. It's a little bit of a drive (in a different county) but hey, the trails are LEGAL! :p

It's an in-and-out ride, which usually I don't like, but this trail actually feels like a different trail on the way back out. Also, it's cool because the singletrack flows really well, and you feel like you're going downhill a lot in both directions. But there is definitely some climbing, and Tweek definitely kicked my ass on the uphills (again).

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Rode Fri, Sat, and Sun. My legs feel it today. Fri's ride was interesting. My buddy brought his new dog on it's second ride ever. It is one of those hypo-alergenic dogs, a Labradoodle I think. Dog is dumb as a rock. Constantly in the way, at the worst times, and nearly got hit twice by cars returning on the road.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Decided to give my new truck a test drive up to Big Bear this weekend to go riding.

Unpacking the bikes and getting ready for fun

Bad shot of me.....nice shot of Big Bear Lake :D

Learning to drift and use clipless on the DH bike.

I'm such an attention whore I had to make sure I ducked to stay in the picture :rolleyes:

Two days of DH and lots of fun! :thumb:

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Friday was a 1 hour ride thru some trails, I was on the 575 with platform pedals and maxxis minion tires. 900 gm. Slow reezay tires will kill speed on any trail bike!

Saturday I worked on all my bikes and caught up on some sleep. Sunday did some trail maintainance. Today, more trail maintainance and a short ride to try out the trail :devil:

That about covers it.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Shyrmp said:
Decided to give my new truck a test drive up to Big Bear this weekend to go riding.

Learning to drift and use clipless on the DH bike.

looking fast !! when you going pro? :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Instigator said:
Friday was a 1 hour ride thru some trails, I was on the 575 with platform pedals and maxxis minion tires. 900 gm. Slow reezay tires will kill speed on any trail bike!

Saturday I worked on all my bikes and caught up on some sleep. Sunday did some trail maintainance. Today, more trail maintainance and a short ride to try out the trail :devil:

That about covers it.
platforms and 900gm slow reesays - are you trying to kill yourself???

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
jacksonpt said:
platforms and 900gm slow reesays - are you trying to kill yourself???
I just got back from a 1 hr. lunch time urban ride with stuntmatty on my single speed, now that thing is going to kill me. SS and a hardtail to boot!

SS=Kona cowan

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Shyrmp said:
I'm such an attention whore I had to make sure I ducked to stay in the picture :rolleyes:

Nice truck :thumb: Now I am afraid to come out and ride with you...you're going to kick my arse and I'll probably break my neck trying to keep u pwith you ;)

As for me...nice XC ride on Friday night and bike maintenance this weekend. Hopefully heading out for a night ride tonight as well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Instigator said:
SS=Kona cowan
Cool. There's just something about Konas that I've always liked. I've been talking a bit with Victor about a kona frame (the 18" cinder cone frame he's got upstairs). I wanna tear apart my old FS that's collecting dust and use the parts to build up a decent hardtail. All I'd need is a headset, bb, front der. and disc brakes.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I went on a long ride on Saturday in North Georgia. Did an out an back - 2 hours of climbing then a a fun 1 return trip all Downhill.
I picked up some Chamois (sp?) butter. Never used the stuff before. Can't say I like that just crapped in your pants feeling..... Especially since it is cold. It felt like somebody else crapped in my pants before I put them on.

splat

Nam I am
Well on Saturday I did a Long Ride with SloMoJo, 17.5 miles of which the last 4 was on the road , becasue we were running out of light. and he thought we could finish what was probaly another 7 miles of technical single track in 30 minutes. I also Broke another helmet doing an Endo. Thats 2 this year . Better them than my Noggin.

Sunday did a SHort ride with IF_rider , we were not out very far when a Stick rudely removved his derailer hanger.

and today at lunch SloMoJo and I took a long lunch and did about 12 miles of off road fun.

Since I'm on call, I'm sort of on a short leash, so my riding yesterday was restricted to trails behind our house and across the creek.

There are no real trails across the creek, because I have not settled on lines I want to finalize yet, so it was all logs and dense brush and ledge and deer trails with constant course decisions based on limited line of sight.

For whatever reason, I seemed to be riding better than average, which ain't saying much.

J