Quantcast

***Monderp GMT***

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
watching ride from pitchfork music festival yesterday.....the guy who spent time in oasis is easy to spot.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Drought is finally over. After two full day without rain it poured all night. Yeee for muddy trails...

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!!

A scorcher of a week ahead - almost as if we were in Summer or something.

It was a grueling day of yard work on Saturday....temps were blowing up, and it was one of those days where every piece of equipment was being fussy...let's call it a six-beer effort to complete.

Went fishing with my son for a few hours that evening and wore the bluegill out with the slip-bobbers and a can-o-worms. Old school.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
going to see ride in philly/dc this weekend...need to change oil/clean out car.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Had a fun weekend in Cleveland for the USA vs Nicaragua soccer game (we won 3-0). Started off Saturday at Great Lakes Brewery, then Hansa Brewery, then the tailgate, then the game. Might have taken a few years off my liver that day.

(pic during warmup before the game started)

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Got a text from my wife right when I got to work telling me I forgot my breakfast sandwich on the counter. Doh...

Spent yesterday riding some bikes with some old friends from away. Did a good sized loop and capped it off with some grilled meat and beers. 1/2 the crew doesn't drink anymore so things stay mellow.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
One of the bossess decided calling employees during the weekend and repeatedly using insults is fun. 1 person quit. Others are looking for jobs and will quit when they find one.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. Sleepy. I swam before work and forgot to pack my recovery pb&j sandwich. My soul was crushed when I got to the car and opened my lunch bag.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
crap, I woke up at home this morning "we're not in the Sierras anymore Toto"

Short bus then a stupid project for the boss. I have a severe case of GFYS, maybe coffee will help fix that.
can you post the picture of your sunrise again. it was awesome. and I need some awesome this morning to get me through this week, which is my last until 4 weeks of holidays.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Grrr... For the first time this year, I think, all VT trails were rated green on TrailHUB...
Hey JBP,

I'm thinking of heading down to Kingdom with my 6 year old next week. Can you recommend a place to camp with him? I don't need it to be super close to the trails, within an hour drive would be fine... you seem to know the camping spots quite well. If it were up to me, I'd stay closer to Burlington and Waterbury, but he's really just beginning to ride so I'd need to keep rides short and smooth, which Kingdom seems to serve up in spades...

Normally I'd take him canoe camping around here, but with all the rain we've had, I'm worried the bugs would be too bad. He seems to be mildly allergic to bug bites, and really swells up when he gets bitten...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! If I work my benefits right, my last day of true employment will be August 11th, followed by 7 weeks of vacation before termination. I mean retirement.... that means just 4 more weeks. Today I need to set up some sort of a account where I can draw enough to cover health insurance and not be penalized. I have heard that you can draw retirement funds early with no penalty if used for this purpose. What would @stoney do?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. It's 54* and I'm sitting on the patio Santa Cruz drinking coffee and eating bacon. Plans for today are family, but tomorrow is demo day. I've decided to demo a Bronson. @Nick made a good point that the 27.5 might be a bit more reasonable which my riding style: flicky and poppy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Good morning Monkies! If I work my benefits right, my last day of true employment will be August 11th, followed by 7 weeks of vacation before termination. I mean retirement.... that means just 4 more weeks. Today I need to set up some sort of a account where I can draw enough to cover health insurance and not be penalized. I have heard that you can draw retirement funds early with no penalty if used for this purpose. What would @stoney do?
Rule 72: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule72t.asp
Substantially Equal Periodic Payments. Effectively a monthly draw, you cannot take excess distributions and you must continue them for 5 years or until 59.5, whichever is longer. Tax with a tax advisor about how much you can take out.

Are you 55 yet? Does your employer plan provide for partial distributions?

Feel free to email me if you want.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Rule 72: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule72t.asp
Substantially Equal Periodic Payments. Effectively a monthly draw, you cannot take excess distributions and you must continue them for 5 years or until 59.5, whichever is longer. Tax with a tax advisor about how much you can take out.

Are you 55 yet? Does your employer plan provide for partial distributions?

Feel free to email me if you want.
Not 55, 52. The first 3 years will be super expensive but totally worth it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SM will you be fired or will you resign? I'm assuming the latter, which means no unemployment compensation, which means rolling an IRA over to take advantage of its more lax medical expense rules is void.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/retirement/02/111202.asp

See point 2 there.

What I'd do is look into your state exchange and have the documentation for a premium subsidy ready to go. Stoney's SEPP advice is good, too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On @slyfinks recommendation, I picked up some water friendly sandals with covered toes to walk/hike trails in.

I also picked up a sling messenger type bag which only uses one shoulder. This thing will allow me to pack more beers on said hikes and has a hidden bong pocket.

One of my tomato plants has literally doubled in size over the last few days. And my pepper plants have done fruits just about ready to pick. I'm excited.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After working both days this weekend I usually get a whole academic day the following Monday. Due to being short staffed I have to come in this afternoon, plus one of the other attendings on is the lazy old one who needs to retire for my sanity. Harrumph.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
SM will you be fired or will you resign? I'm assuming the latter, which means no unemployment compensation, which means rolling an IRA over to take advantage of its more lax medical expense rules is void.

See point 2 there.

What I'd do is look into your state exchange and have the documentation for a premium subsidy ready to go. Stoney's SEPP advice is good, too.
IIRC it's an early retirement

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

See point 2 there.

I should qualify for the state exchange in 2019, also - my exit is voluntary.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Fought with the car starter this weekend. The starter was redesigned to prevent damage, but it didn't seem to fit. After fighting with it half of Friday and a better part of Saturday, I called around and ordered a new one figuring I got the wrong one (was listed for a truck but also listed as fitting the car, too). Not happy with ordering a 1.5x more expensive version locally, I went to the internet to see what it said.

Turns out the plastic cover over the flywheel can interfere with the install. Once I understood, I was able to get that bitch in and rolling. Then I rode the bus today because I have to get a suit for next week.

Did not get to ride this weekend, hope to ride next before "vacation". Yay.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is this boss still a boss?
Hahahahha. That's a good joke. Yes of course. Wellcome to Eastern Yurp work culture. That woman is impossible to kick out. She is a high school friend of the owners wife, her husband is our company lawyer and that plus some financial shenanighans she does for the owner.

Hey JBP,

I'm thinking of heading down to Kingdom with my 6 year old next week. Can you recommend a place to camp with him? I don't need it to be super close to the trails, within an hour drive would be fine... you seem to know the camping spots quite well. If it were up to me, I'd stay closer to Burlington and Waterbury, but he's really just beginning to ride so I'd need to keep rides short and smooth, which Kingdom seems to serve up in spades...

Normally I'd take him canoe camping around here, but with all the rain we've had, I'm worried the bugs would be too bad. He seems to be mildly allergic to bug bites, and really swells up when he gets bitten...
Researching...

wife just went into surgery. hoping it goes smoothly. hoping even more the next 4-5 weeks of recovery does.
My best wishes!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Hahahahha. That's a good joke. Yes of course. Wellcome to Eastern Yurp work culture. That woman is impossible to kick out. She is a high school friend of the owners wife, her husband is our company lawyer and that plus some financial shenanighans she does for the owner.
Well. Good luck with your job search then!