Quantcast

Monitorz

I have been using 19" CRTs running the resolution at 1600 by 1200. We have c aouple of flat panels at home, but they only do 1280 x 1024, too small.

The office is shifting over to dual-head wide aspect ratio flat panels, but they won't do 1200 vertical.

Most of the work I do is via remote desktop to servers at hosting sites and writing capacity reports and problem analyses using Word - If I'm going to rejigger my monitor world, I think I should be using monitors with more height than width for my wordsmithing.

What's out there in flat panels that would give me at least 1600 by 1200 and allow me to rotate at least one monitor by 90 degrees?

Apologies if this is a disordered request, but what's out there? I have a reasonable, but not unlimited, budget.

J

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Most 24" widescreen monitors are 1920 x 1200 native resolution. Many can turn 90 degrees now, especially the higher end ones. It is sort of hard to find in the lower end however.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Most 24" widescreen monitors are 1920 x 1200 native resolution. Many can turn 90 degrees now, especially the higher end ones. It is sort of hard to find in the lower end however.
He wants 1600x1200 so he should buy a a regular 20" standard aspect 4:3 monitor if he wants to run in the native resolution of the panel and keep the price lower. Yah he'll have to check the stand so it will probably have to be at least mid-range.

This is a decent guide:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide-f2007.html

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I know for a fact that the Dell 24" pivots. I think the Gateway as well. You're looking at about $500-600 per panel. The cheaper 24" panels I've seen (in the $400 range) don't pivot.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I know for a fact that the Dell 24" pivots. I think the Gateway as well. You're looking at about $500-600 per panel. The cheaper 24" panels I've seen (in the $400 range) don't pivot.
Yup, I have a 21 and a 24" gateway, superb quality, and both pivot. They have really nice stands as well. They weren't cheap however.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It probably won't matter to him but the Dell 2407 HC and other newer monitors in various panel types now come with wide gamut CCFL backlight for the increased gamut. I don't think we'll see wide spread desktop LED monitors until next year or maybe later in the mainstream lineup...

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Just a quick thing about TN panels. The main problem on these panels is that they use 6-bit per channel to index colors, enough said you dont get 100% color gamut. Some use tricks to do this, but its never close to other technologies.

I recently bought a 22" wide TN panel. No problems with the viewing angles, but I did spend almost a week until I had the colors the way I was used to(and still a work in progress).

I nice 22"(TN) that you can tilt 90º: HP w2207h
(beware.. its glossy)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
24" P-MVA $300 LCD FTW at Officemax right now...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1227542
Crappy contrast and response time, even if it has fancy viewing angles.

I'm pretty happy with the "20.1 LG I got from Newegg. 2ms, 5000:1 contrast. It is a TN panel or whatever so the vertical viewing angle can get ****ty at the extremes, but it's not bad at all. Also a rocking deal at $230...1680x1050 res, though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005096

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Get a clue, TN suck for anything but head on gaming and movie usage. Those dynamic contrast ratios and response numbers are marketing bull****, see any real review of TN panels. Cheap panels for the mainstream that don't know any better.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
There is always this set up. This form of monitor installation is used for e-discovery. Actually, this thread has been bookmarked, because I have to purchase and set up such a station for EDD and ESI applications, and this "real world" info is invaluable.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wound up with a pair of HP LP2065s. Came with PivotPro software, which is, well, flaky. Still trying to figure out how much I like the setup. Image quality sucks compared to CRTs.

Thanks for the help.

J
Those are great monitors for the money. I use to have one.

As long as you bought them from an authorized HP reseller (most reseller are), here is $100 back for your efforts:

$50 Rebate, 5 max per address

Are you using the latest videocard drivers for your system. If you are lucky your videocards are new enough and have tilting support right in the drivers. If not there are other multi-monitor software packages out there - you don't have to use the bundled stuff if its not so hot - I never used the feature/software personally.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Don't forget to test your monitor for dead pixels...

Dead Pixel Buddy

If you have too many of them and it bothers you hp will swap them if you qualify:

hp said:
Understanding HP pixel policy
In early 2003, HP flat panel monitor pixel/sub-pixel defect specifications were standardized for HP's entire line of new 2003 models. These specifications apply to future models as well. In a 3-5-5 simplified format, the new HP flat panel monitor pixel defect specifications are as follows:
Bright sub-pixel defects: 3 maximum
Dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum
Total combined bright and dark sub-pixel defects: 5 maximum

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Usually stuck pixels are the worst. I returned one monitor once because it had one bright green stuck pixel 1/3 the way down right in the center of the monitor...really noticeable in black/dark backgrounds.

Those are great monitors for the money. I use to have one.

As long as you bought them from an authorized HP reseller (most reseller are), here is $100 back for your efforts:

$50 Rebate, 5 max per address

Are you using the latest videocard drivers for your system. If you are lucky your videocards are new enough and have tilting support right in the drivers. If not there are other multi-monitor software packages out there - you don't have to use the bundled stuff if its not so hot - I never used the feature/software personally.
Thanks for the rebate tip. I need to check the video drivers - the Dell site's summat confusing in what it offers for driver downloads - I need to figure out exactly which video adapter I have.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If they are Dell Optiplex I think around gx150 or maybe gx2X0 so is where even the integrated Intel video starts offering display rotation in the driver. If you right click on the desktop I think its one of the options.