Quantcast

Montana Rider's private tour for Treesaw in SW MT, 8/17-27 2017

Post by @Montana rider

"When I was driving back from MDH WTF?! I kept thinking about how much better riding we could find in 109 miles of MT singletrack and about "hosting" a 2017 Monkeyfest in SW MT and riding our faces off...

I envision drinking lots of beer...

Oh and 10 days or so of rides (2 weekends + a week in between) with short/regular and JPB/StiHacka/Full Trucker) length options for each day.

I haven't fleshed the rides out but we could easily fill a week+ with the "best of the best" rides within 2 hours of BZN -- many of which are threatened by WSA/eventual wilderness designations.

I'd be happy to grab campsites and do another Costco run (ahem, @TreeSaw @FullTrucker) and will try to post something up around April so monkeys have enough time re: plane tix/work obligations to make it happen around the last 2 weeks of August

I could even grab a few satellite (quiet) campsites to make it more "family friendly" if folks wanted to bring their mini-monkeys/spousal units out to Yellowstone/fishing/horseback riding/tubing the Madison...

6/12 edit:
  • Thu 17th Bangtail (and Bozeman Brew Pub Tour)
  • Fri 18th Blackmore to Cottonwood (and Bozeman Brew Pub Tour)
  • Sat 19th Homestake Pass
  • Sun 20th Curly Highline
  • Mon 21st Norris Hot Springs, Wolverine Basin possible shuttle or possible rest day
  • Tues 22nd TBD but something like Targhee Pass CDT to Mile
  • Wed 23rd TDB but something like Mile to Sheep
  • Thur 24th TBD in North Hebgen (Red Canyon?)
  • Fri 25th Taylors Fork ride
  • Sat 26 Big Sky Ride (Buck Ridge and/or Yellow mule loop?)
  • Sun 27th Big Sky Ride TBD

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A central location or two would make logistics a much smaller part of the experience... I'm in for sure. :) I've not ridden much around Bozeman due to the 3 hour drive but will make it a point to get a few dozen area rides in over the next 8 or 9 months. :thumb:

I'd be able to hit 2 3 day weekends any time August; but for a full 10 days I would have to be between July and 15th and 30th.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
As it's been written, so let it be done ;)

Looking at the calendar and flexible but Thur 8/17 - 27 allows for breeder pre-back to school travel, and the best chance of good weather / trails being cleared of deadfall

I assume only JBP and the next batch of fun-employed will be able to swing the whole enchilada but that's the point behind 2 weekends: you can pick and choose what works best for you...

Off the top of my head and a counterclockwise driver friendly loop:

2 days BZN (Bangtails & Hyalite) *** I rate Blackmore->Cottonwood above Bangtail Divide, despite IMBA ***
1.5 days S. Boulder (Lost Cabin & Curly Highline), *** was Primo, a bit moto but "12" mile downhill/5000' ***
1 day E Butte (Homestake Pass) *** Decomposed Granite trails, different from everything else ***
4 days riding W Yellowstone area (Hebgen & Lionshead) *** Primo, bring your bear spray***
2 days Big Sky (Taylor's Fork and Big Sky) *** Primo, bring your bear spray ***

Will 2017 surpass the MDH WTF?! "bar" of 35 microbrew varieties and a bunch of fancy hootch??

(reverts back to lurker mode until 2017...)

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:think: Any options kid friendly rides? Both girls are on 2 wheels now and oldest spawn actually rides pretty well (when she isn't complaining about climbing or going to slow because her sister's with us).

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
:think: Any options kid friendly rides? Both girls are on 2 wheels now and oldest spawn actually rides pretty well (when she isn't complaining about climbing or going to slow because her sister's with us).
@TreeSaw

There are a few kid friendly options down in w Yellowstone area. My 'plan' is to have 2-4 ride options per day, from all day sufferfests to kid friendly options.

Off the top of my head targhee Creek as out and back is really smooth and kid friendly, south side of CDT from Targhee Pass is slight more tech but still buff, and there's a really short but fun interpretive trail from our potential campsite at Cliff and Wade...

I found some elk jerky for you which will be cheaper to ship than dealing with dry ice re: elk steaks...

So PM your Addy, and I'll put the kidfriendly mp3s and jerky in the mail.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
@TreeSaw

There are a few kid friendly options down in w Yellowstone area. My 'plan' is to have 2-4 ride options per day, from all day sufferfests to kid friendly options.

Off the top of my head targhee Creek as out and back is really smooth and kid friendly, south side of CDT from Targhee Pass is slight more tech but still buff, and there's a really short but fun interpretive trail from our potential campsite at Cliff and Wade...

I found some elk jerky for you which will be cheaper to ship than dealing with dry ice re: elk steaks...

So PM your Addy, and I'll put the kidfriendly mp3s and jerky in the mail.
Awesome! Done!!!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Sounds very cool. Mudgirl has plans for my 40th birthday the second weekend and I don't think I'd want to make the trip out for just a couple days of riding, I'd want the whole enchilada.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Sq-Earl and I are thinking we might be able to swing this with the girls.....not sure if we're bringing our own kid-sitter or if we'll have to rock-paper-scissors ride options but this could be fun. Are the camping areas small camper friendly?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Sq-Earl and I are thinking we might be able to swing this with the girls.....not sure if we're bringing our own kid-sitter or if we'll have to rock-paper-scissors ride options but this could be fun. Are the camping areas small camper friendly?
Hey TreeSaw -- most of the places I was thinking about camping at would be small camper friendly.

As we get closer I'll lay out our options, but near Bozeman I was thinking of camping in Hyalite, which has paysites we could reserve in advance (on the reservoir) -- or free sites on the creek

Quieter/smaller:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/chisholm-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73592

Bigger:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/hood-creek-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73595

And I was planning to grab a few sites down by Cliff & Wade Lakes (which are first come first served)

ETA: Taylor's Fork near Big Sky is where I was thinking of camping for those rides and that should be fine (and free) re: small trailer

The only potential overnight campground where you could have problems with a trailer would be Curly Lake Highline. That road gets a bit rough (but still navicable for the most part by low-clearance passenger cars) if you want to drive up to the trailheads, but there's plenty of easier trailer-friendly camping sites on the way up, where you could park the trailer if you get nervous re: driving too far.

For the BZN rides, I could find y'all a sitter.

I'm hoping my wife/kids will be holding down the fort/campsite at Cliff and Wade, so we're probably set there, which means Curly (big day) & CDT Butte (smaller options) and Taylor Fork (short/long options, though could look into childcare options at Big Sky Resort < 30 mins away) would be the days where you might have to tag team.

Hoping to make it kid-friendly, my kids are equally adept at retrieving beer from coolers, can read and understand the difference between IPAs, Stouts and the like (natch...)

And of course we have a great Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman; Yellowstone Park is very kid-friendly, and we'll have our SUPs and Canoe on Cliff and Wade for the kiddos.

ETA2: I've seen this beer/bike tour company around BZN lately,

http://gearbelly.com/

It could be primo re: Monkey beer swilling shenaniganas and hijinks, but don't know much about them or their tour options (yet) and we could probably arrange a bigger/better self-supported microwbrew tour amongst ourselves. Montana laws limit consumption to a 3 pint maximum, but we have 6+? places to choose from in BZN/Belgrade

ETA3: just saw this blurb on gearbelly's site, scatch that would prefer DIY:
Inappropriate behavior while on the tour will result in the immediate termination of your tour and a $100 penalty per person or $480 for a group tour. Examples of inappropriate behavior include, but are not limited to:
• Extreme Intoxication
• Excessive Noise
• Littering
• Public Urination
• Public Indecency

Attachments

Last edited:
I have been looking at the idea of hauling the camper over - with my average speed to date of camper hauling, it looks as though it would take me six days to get out there. I might be able to cut it to five...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have been looking at the idea of hauling the camper over - with my average speed to date of camper hauling, it looks as though it would take me six days to get out there. I might be able to cut it to five...
Step 1: set current camper on fire
Step 2: get a faster camper (image below)
Step 3: get to MT in 5 hours
Step 4: profit?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
They can ride to the cooler to get us more beer.
i think that they would have to pull a wagon....

once they get to the cooler will they have the strength in their little legs to pull the wagon back?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ETA3: just saw this blurb on gearbelly's site, scatch that would prefer DIY:
Inappropriate behavior while on the tour will result in the immediate termination of your tour and a $100 penalty per person or $480 for a group tour. Examples of inappropriate behavior include, but are not limited to:
• Extreme Intoxication
• Excessive Noise
• Littering
• Public Urination
• Public Indecency
I'm gonna need further clarification on a few of these.