Quantcast

Montana Rider's private tour for Treesaw in SW MT, 8/17-27 2017

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Damn near back to winter in late August!
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows...

I suggested the later part of August so breeders could get their kids to school, the trails would have the highest probability of being cleared of deadfall and most importantly:

the bears are "usually" not quite yet in hyperfagia by then.

As the slow fatty, I am most likely to be eaten, when the racer boys stir up the hungry bear and I toddle along 30 mins later...

Stage 4—Hyperphagia is a period of excessive eating and drinking to fatten for hibernation. Black bears with unlimited food and water ate 15,000 to 20,000 kcal per day and drank several gallons. Large amounts of water are needed to process the large amounts of food and rid the body of nitrogenous waste. Daily urine volumes for two bears were 2-4 gallons (8-16 liters). Nitrogen losses were 2.4 to 3.7 ounces (69-104 grams) (Nelson et al. 1983).

https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/hibernation/191-5-stages-of-activity-and-hibernation.html

While in hyperphagia, grizzly and black bears gorge and gain up to four pounds a day as they forage for anything and everything even remotely edible. And for a bear, that really can mean just about anything.
Grizzly bears eat up to 20,000 kcal a day.

http://www.nature-track.com/Sept-26-2013_Hyperphagia.html

@Serial Midget had talked about pre-riding some of the rides prior so you're welcome to ride our singletrack whenever you can make it up...

#themoreyouknow
#SHENANIGANS

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is true - I'll pre-ride with MontanaRider and take the gopro so monkey's can preview the awesomeness of the various trails. Plus by time August rolls around I should be ready for a 50K mountain run should anyone care to join. :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
This is sounding like a trip we might be able to make (part of). We have to be back for 8/28 so we would need to arrive back in ny on or before 8/27. That being said, we would need to leave by the 24th I think as we're travelling with the girls and our camper. What's the dog policy? Ours is a great trail dog, but can also be an a-hole (likes to get into garbage and will eat anything!) if he isn't tired out...which shouldn't be too big a problem if he's going out on rides.

We'd also really like to take some time in Yellowstone with the girls...not sure if there is any riding in or around there, but just putting it out there.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is sounding like a trip we might be able to make (part of). We have to be back for 8/28 so we would need to arrive back in ny on or before 8/27. That being said, we would need to leave by the 24th I think as we're travelling with the girls and our camper. What's the dog policy? Ours is a great trail dog, but can also be an a-hole (likes to get into garbage and will eat anything!) if he isn't tired out...which shouldn't be too big a problem if he's going out on rides.

We'd also really like to take some time in Yellowstone with the girls...not sure if there is any riding in or around there, but just putting it out there.
I like dogs. I think there are trails near Yellowstone...

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Prescient time for a bump, as I have a note to make reservations for the BZN campsite [Hyalite Reservoir area] for the first two days of riding [17th/18th] next week when 2017 dates go live online.

The other sites I had in mind are either free and/or first come first served [no reservations] so that's all good until August

Pending a non-binding head count, I'll probably reserve 2 sites and could tack on Wednesday 26th, if monkeys were planning to arrive Wednesday

@StiHacka
@Serial Midget (in)
@eric strt6 (doubtful)
@Pesqueeb
@johnbryanpeters
@Full Trucker
@junkyard
@Heidi
@TreeSaw
@BadDNA (doubtful)
@stevew (will snark for cheap beer)
@canadmos
@SkaredShtles (will snark for beer)
@w00dy
@carolpeters

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

Dogs are fine (except for Yellowstone, but you can presumably leave them in trailer when hiking...)

The majority of rides are <1 hour drive from W Yellowstone (entrance) but you could also hit sections of the park coming out, I can make more specific recommendations offline (Beartooth HWY FTW)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OOF, might be up in the air, coworker left and that is technically my busy season. Before I could have swung it with him covering. Now..... :(
Curious though, has anyone ridden in Salmon, Idaho?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
i may tag along with @carolpeters (that's my Mom) and bring my wife and 7 year old. is it too late to be the first tardy sign up?
The more the merrier...

Its never too late in Montana, although I have heard that attending children need to be well trained beer assistants. :)
This is correct, all (child) servers are required to pass a quiz to ensure no session beers will be served.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am going to practice making whole wheat and almond flour flapjacks, if successful I will make them for all. As long as the women folk chop the wood. That is not a euphemism.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am going to practice making whole wheat and almond flour flapjacks, if successful I will make them for all. As long as the women folk chop the wood. That is not a euphemism.
My oldest is excellent at cooking bacon and I have a huge portable grill/griddle that we will be bringing.

Also -- I have been told that I chop wood well (euphemism or not lol)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
While troubling, the article is not terribly clear on what the "bicycle fee" is for, how it will be collected or even enforced. Second, while its not PC to say so, some roadies are rude and inconsiderate. Making sweeping judgmental statements based on limited facts is the current direction of politics. Thanks Trump.

Since it is doubtful that anyone on this forum has direct knowledge of "this shit" I felt it would be more effective to simply ask the State Senator direct, he is up for primary election in June and should be eager to share insight to his views.

You can e-mail too chasvincent@hotmail.com

I would have preferred g-mail but I still use yahoo so who am I to judge?

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Having out of state cyclists pay for aquatic invasive species mitigation?

I'd like that as asshole to explain just how out-of-state cyclists have ANY skin in that game. :think:
First they came for the road cyclists, and I didn't speak out -- because I don't wear spandex

Date: Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 7:22 PM
Subject: SB-363

To: winwithwhite@gmail.com, brownformontana@gmail.com, Rep.Theresa.Manzella@mt.gov, Rep.Kim.Abbott@mt.gov, Rep.Bob.Brown@mt.gov, vcourtforlegislature@yahoo.com, Rep.Willis.Curdy@mt.gov, Rep.Ross.Fitzgerald@mt.gov, JohnFlemingStIgnatius@gmail.com, Rep.Kelly.Flynn@mt.gov, wyliegaltformt@gmail.com, Rep.Steve.Gunderson@mt.gov, Rep.Dale.Mortensen@mt.gov, marknolandhd10@gmail.com

Good day:

I would like to recommend that you remove from SB-363 the provision taxing bicyclists from out-of-state to pay for invasive aquatic species removal.

I'm one of about twenty cyclists who have been planning to spend ten days in Montana, paying for food, lodging, and other services, at the end of August. I'm sure that there are many more out of state bicyclists with similar plans.

Speaking only for our group, I think we'd be quite happy to redirect to, say, Oregon, should the legislature of Montana continue on this ill-advised course.

Thank you,

John Peters
New Haven, VT