Quantcast

Montana Rider's private tour for Treesaw in SW MT, 8/17-27 2017

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Some of the trails on my "list" are in the cross-hairs for reclassification under the WSA/RWA National Forest review.

I just got back from a meeting with a group of bikers who are part of a larger coalition trying to find common ground and maintain access to historically used trails within those areas.

If the past is any indication, we will lose access to "some" of the trails we love so much, but hope we can reach consensus with the wilderness advocates to find "some" common ground...

TLDR: a few trails (particularly those outside Big Sky and Lionhead area near West Yellowstone) may be closed to biking in the near future, so ride them while you can...

ETA: this is a writeup of my last "legal" ride on the best trail (Gallatin Crest Trail) that we lost access to in the last go round

https://mega.nz/#!9uAiGLCS!NfXtShDsWs0EaMySB3P5N43TZun_MMR7OyJJ6sS-0oU

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7004100/gallatin-crest-trail (RIP)

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
And predicatably the anti-bike "rider" was removed from the bill in question:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/bikes-for-bottle-caps-mussels-bill-moves-ahead-without-controversial/article_2f4a2369-ee4c-5a8c-b175-ea47aa4ceb49.html

And, until Friday, it included a $25 charge for nonresident bicyclists who come to Montana.

That fee was added via an amendment from Senate President Scott Sales, R-Bozeman. After it passed on a narrow vote, the bill made national headlines. Some lawmakers considered the amendment a joke and expected that it would be removed, but bicyclists were outraged.

On Friday, House committee members voted to replace the bicycle fee with a 2-cent deposit fee for recycling the caps on plastic water bottles.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Back to the subject at hand, the Lionhead is on my SW MT Tour this summer, ride it while you can...

http://www.bikemag.com/lines-in-the-dirt/montana-access/#5KH3Kfa02IhWfs5C.97

And now, with the Blackfoot decided, everyone has turned their attention to a segment of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) outside Yellowstone National Park that Allen calls “one of the most endangered trails in America.” It is also, in the context of everything that has transpired in Montana, one of the most symbolic.

Twenty years ago, the Custer Gallatin National Forest hired legendary mountain-bike trail builder Terry Johnson to link the CDT to the Idaho border in an area called Lionhead, which straddles Regions One and Four of the Forest Service. Johnson spent two summers constructing his masterpiece, complete with 50 switchbacks up to 10,000 feet and flow before the term existed. Altogether, the 35-mile loop includes 7,000 feet of climbing and some of the best views in Montana.

It is a two-hour drive from Bozeman to Lionhead, and when the Forest Service lost a suit brought by three wilderness groups and closed the Gallatin Crest Trail (ETA: RIP) to bikes in 2009, many of the Crest’s devotees shifted to Lionhead. Mountain bikers have maintained the trail ever since and consider it one of the state’s crown jewels.

The only problem? Lionhead sits smack in the middle of a Region One RWA, and with the 30-year-old forest plan set to be revised by 2020, a showdown looms.

someone else's pixels/stories:

http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana-wyoming/mile-creek-high-726318.html
http://ltrainstation.blogspot.com/2012/07/mile-to-sheep-creek-epic-ride-montana.html#!/2012/07/mile-to-sheep-creek-epic-ride-montana.html
http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana-wyoming/lionhead-little-loop-813064.html

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
FYI..... @montanarider some of the areas you listed for riding are open for rifle elk hunting starting August 15th. May want to look into that a bit to make sure no one is in range nor interfering with hunters..... We

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
InterferIng with hunters? I realize this is Montana but how can riding trails and drinking beer be considering interfering?
The bangtails is the location that came to mind for me, where people take particularly long shots at elk. I am not saying the rides cannot happen, but if a hunter perceives you scared off the elk expect a confrontation. More so, I was saying this for people's safety because bullets will be flying. On top of that, wardens will be out so be careful with the drinking in the trails.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Don't take any of that the wrong way, was honestly just giving a heads up. I WL not be a long for the rides cause I will be deep into the final weeks of scouting for hunting. I don't hunt the shoulder seasons cause it's just too warm and do not have a cold enough garage, my hunting will start in mid September.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
The bangtails is the location that came to mind for me, where people take particularly long shots at elk. I am not saying the rides cannot happen, but if a hunter perceives you scared off the elk expect a confrontation. More so, I was saying this for people's safety because bullets will be flying. On top of that, wardens will be out so be careful with the drinking in the trails.
Hey @DirtyMike thanks for the heads up, I'm unfamiliar with the hunting schedule (is that muzzle loading?) but when I poked around online I couldn't find anything corresponding to August dates -- see below...

Bangtails see a crap ton of bike useage and is the most popular/used ride of the circuit so I'm more concerned about the rides down in the Lionhead/West Yellowstone area re: bears than anything else.

I've ridden all these trails that time of year and typically don't have any interaction with hunters outside seeing their parked cars at the trailhead or cruising by as they target shoot/site their scopes.

We should plan to wear orange if need be, bring bear spray and travel in groups.

I'll be bringing up the tail end as per normal so I can be eaten by the bear that is riled up by @johnbryanpeters who doesn't give a fuck.

+++++

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=79534

These dates are provided only as a general
reference. Check current regulations for specific
dates. Visit our website @http://fwp.mt.gov
2017 Big Game Seasons
Antelope
900 series .........................Aug 15–Nov 12
archery ..............................Sept 2–Oct 6
general ..............................Oct 7–Nov 12
Bighorn Sheep
archery ..............................Sept 2–Sept 14
general ..............................Sept 15–Nov 26
Bison ..............................Nov 15–Feb 15, 2018
Black Bear
spring Apr 15–Varies
(May 31-June 15)
archery ..............................Sept 2–Sept 14
fall ..............................Sept 15–Nov 26
Deer & Elk
archery ..............................Sept 2–Oct 15
youth, deer only ...............Oct 19–Oct 20
general ..............................Oct 21–Nov 26
backcountry – HD’s 150, 151, 280, 316*
archery ...........................Sept 2–Sept 14
general ...........................Sept 15–Nov 26
Elk Shoulder Seasons ..........Check website
Moose ..............................Sept 15–Nov 26
Mountain Goat .....................Sept 15–Nov 26
Mountain Lion
archery ..............................Sept 2–Oct 15
fall ..............................Oct 21–Nov 26
winter ..............................Dec 1–Apr 14, 2018
Wolf ..............................adopted in June, 2017
* HD 316 does not have an Archery Only Season
These dates are provided only as a general
reference. Check current regulations for specific
dates. Visit our website @ http://fwp.mt.gov
2017 Upland Game Birds Seasons
Mountain Grouse .............Sept 1–Jan 1, 2018
Partridge ..........................Sept 1–Jan 1, 2018
Pheasant .........................Oct 7–Jan 1, 2018
Sage Grouse ...................Sept 1–Sept 30
Sharp-tailed Grouse ........Sept 1–Jan 1, 2018
Turkey
spring ...........................Apr 8–May 21
fall ...............................Sept 1–Jan 1, 2018
2017 Montana Fishing Seasons
Lakes ...............................Open entire year
Rivers** and streams .................
3rd Saturday in May - Nov. 30
**some rivers are open entire year
– check the fishing regulations
2017 Montana Furbearer Seasons
For general reference only.
2017 dates adopted in July, 2017.
Trapping Districts 1, 2 & 3
Beaver .............................Nov 1–April 15, 2018
Bobcat .............................Dec 1–Feb 15, 2018*
Trapping Districts 4, 5, 6 & 7
Beaver .............................Sept 1–May 31, 2018
Bobcat .............................Dec 1–Mar 1, 2018*
Portion of Trapping District 6
Swift Fox ..................Nov 1–Mar 1, 2018*
Fisher, Marten, Wolverine
(where open) .......Dec 1–Feb 15, 2018*
Mink, Muskrat, Otter ...Nov 1–Apri15, 2018*
* May close earlier when the quota is reached.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
@Montanarider go to www.fwp.mt.gov download the deer elk antelope regs, look at the shoulder season regions. You will have to compare those a map for exact locations and descriptions. MtCadastral is probably the easiest map to use. 312, 390, and 393 all open for cow elk on Aug 15th. Bangtails is in 393, go to the west side of the 86 and you are in 312. I don't know off hand where 390 is cause I don't hunt it.

I won't be in the bangtails regardless because people are plain stupid up there

Edit... Trying to copy the shoulder dates from the regs but my phone does not like adobe

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Perhaps I should be elk hunting & riding while out that way....could make for some delicious dinner!
Assuming enough monkeys show, I'm planning to make another Costco run re: bacon, eggs, peppers and other essentials and continue to do Q/C product sampling at the tentative stops on the brewpub tour (406 Brewing Company)

The Midge and I will preride some too re: trail conditions for the more remote rides prone to deadfall (Silky saw is on the way FTW)
IMG_20170417_161547.jpg

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
We went camping last weekend at Cliff Lake which is my happy/hoppy place and our extended "home" for the southern rides in the Lionhead CDT area.

I'll have all the water toys (canoe, SUPs and kid-sized kayak) and am hoping to grab a "God-spot" or two again the Tuesday prior which may be complicated by demand from the Solar Eclipse on 8/21.

Nobody could've predicted that bringing a bunch of (drunken) Monkeys to MT would block out the sun but there you have it...
IMG_20170604_224025.jpg
image.png

Indian Creek

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
I might be interested in this. Are the dates still the same as the thread subject (8/17-8/27)? I rode Mile and Sheep creeks a couple of years ago and it is truly a spectacular ride. I would like to ride it again before it is potentially closed to cycling.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I might be interested in this. Are the dates still the same as the thread subject (8/17-8/27)? I rode Mile and Sheep creeks a couple of years ago and it is truly a spectacular ride. I would like to ride it again before it is potentially closed to cycling.
Dates should be good, I'm still thinking about rides, but should look similar to this:

Th 17th Bangtail (and Bozeman Brew Pub Tour)
Fri 18th Blackmore to Cottonwood (and Bozeman Brew Pub Tour)
Sat 19th Homestake Pass
Sun 20th Curly Highline
Monday 21st Norris Hot Springs, Wolverine Basin possible shuttle or possible rest day
Tuesday 22nd TBD but something like Targhee Pass CDT to Mile
Wed 23rd TDB but something like Mile to Sheep
Thurs 24th TBD in North Hebgen (Red Canyon?)
Friday 25th Taylors Fork ride
Sat 26 Big Sky Ride (Buck Ridge and/or Yellow mule loop?)
Sun 27th Big Sky Ride TBD

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Which campsite, Hood Creek or Chisholm?
I'm going to put out a Google doc itinerary for the duration, with campsite info, route options and alternative kid friendly activities when I get caught up on "work" but we have Chisholm Thursday and Friday sites 4 & 5

Free Camping up the Boulder (Curly) Sat and Sun
Pay camping at Cliff Lake Monday through Thursday ish
Free camping in Taylor's Fork Thursday through Sunday...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm still trying to figure out how long it'll take me to make it out there driving solo in the van.
We were talking about the drive last night. We are planning on heading out after work on the 11th (I think) and then making stops along the way to sight-see with the girls as we make our way to Lincoln, NE to visit some family for the night. Our goal is to arrive in MT on the 17th and stay until the 24th or the 25th depending on how the drive out goes (we have to be back by the 28th). We can caravan home if that makes sense to you...not sure if you want to take the scenic route out with us either, but you're welcome! Is Vero able to come too?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Annoyed about a timing conflict as I would love to ride up there again :(

Wife and I have guests flying in that week to ride the CO goods so can't make it.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
What if @Serial Midget and @Montana rider threw a party and no one came...

I'm still trying to figure out how long it'll take me to make it out there driving solo in the van.
You can "dry dock" at our house if you arrive before 17th, but I will probably be grabbing campsites until 16th

We were talking about the drive last night. We are planning on heading out after work on the 11th (I think) and then making stops along the way to sight-see with the girls as we make our way to Lincoln, NE to visit some family for the night. Our goal is to arrive in MT on the 17th and stay until the 24th or the 25th depending on how the drive out goes (we have to be back by the 28th). We can caravan home if that makes sense to you...not sure if you want to take the scenic route out with us either, but you're welcome! Is Vero able to come too?
Ditto re: early arrival. Let me know if you want some suggestions re: stops on the drive. If you want to show the kids Yellowstone take Beartooth Hwy (south of Billings through Red Lodge) and you could hit a few spots in the park (Lamar Valley for wolves, Old Faithful for Geysers) and exit via West Yellowstone (or Gardiner)

Annoyed about a timing conflict as I would love to ride up there again :(

Wife and I have guests flying in that week to ride the CO goods so can't make it.
Bummer, I was counting on you and the missus to tire the bears out given your proclivity for self-inflicted all day sufferfests

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bummer, I was counting on you and the missus to tire the bears out given your proclivity for self-inflicted all day sufferfests
HA!
I've got 7 days, 200 miles, 30000ft of vert planned for our sea level east coasters to suffer through with most of it above 10000ft :D