Quantcast

Montana Rider's private tour for Treesaw in SW MT, 8/17-27 2017

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Just put this tentative plan/schedule out to a couple friends and My Person™ ... not saying we're in but there's some interest. Is the schedule as outlined in the OP the current going schedule for rides, etc.?
Funny you should mention this. Since we're just about 6 weeks out (i.e. the cheapest airfares) I wanted a roll call so we can "adjust" the schedule and goods if need be to maximize quality over quantity.

I think @TreeSaw and family are still in *though they were leaving by Thursday-ish 24th*
@johnbryanpeters and Vero are in *though I believe Vero will be leaving Weds/Thurs as well*
@StiHacka was tentative, but he should just quit his job and start fun-employment.
@Pesqueeb was iffy, but he should just lose his job and start fun-employment and bring the family.
@Serial Midget is a Tue-Thurs warrior, though he may try to juggle things around
@DirtyMike said he may be able to make a few rides as well...

Are any other lurkers / possible maybes?

I don't need a real hard count until the week prior when I'm shopping for bacon and beer and snagging the non-reservable sites.

I would rate
Blackmore

Curly

Wolverine Basin (new to me, hoping to scout out in a few weeks but came highly recommended),

And the stuff in the Henry's Mountains
Sheep

Mile

CDT

in the upper tier

Followed closely by North Hebgen

Taylor Fork

and Big Sky rides

And I'd put Bangtail, Homestake at the lowest tier. Great rides, but not epic back country *lowercase* wilderness rides.

BLACK OUT THE SUN

I planned Monday as a Norris Hot Springs/Recovery day with the possibility for Wolverine Basin shuttle thrown in, but that's also Solar Eclipse.

Our next basecamp (leaving Curly) is Cliff/Wade Lakes and only an hour from Ashton ID and the closest sight line for the full eclipse in SW MT. Unfortunately the show is 10 to 1:00 PM, I believe, so we'd have to beat feet early that morning or (more likely) pack up Sunday night instead.

If there's interest in the eclipse we can juggle the schedule a bit, and leave door open for Wolverine Basin Shuttle assuming traffic back to MT isn't zombie apocalypse bad...

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

TLDR: @Full Trucker, if you (or anyone else) make it up, we will work out ride schedules accordingly.

I'll have have mellow family-friendly options (bike/hike/canoe/SUP) too so monkeys can customize their own adventures and recovery days.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
TLDR: @Full Trucker, if you make it up, we will work out whatever you want to do re: rides...
Well shitbitch there you go. If (and it'a big if) I make it up, I'll likely have to work some/most of the time during the day so I certainly wouldn't want ya'll to change up plans based on my weirdness. I'll have to dig into the itinerary if My Person™ and friends are intradasted, and go from there. Some thoughts for me, not for you guys but just for my purposes:
  • Travel day(s) will be tough to sort out, particularly if this gig goes full-time.
  • Blackmore and Curly are early in the trip and a Fri / Sun thing, so could be in on those.
  • Highly recommended rides seem to be on the menu for Thu-Sun of each week, which is good for me.
  • Bob Log III just came up on shuffle hoo-dang.
  • Probably have to post up somewhere and work Mon-Wed minimum.
  • Could sneak out for a Wolverine Basin shuttle on that Monday if it can be done late enough in the day.
  • Beer is delicious.
  • Do I still owe @Montana rider money for bacon? Shit, I'd feel bad if I do... but I have been unemployed for a bit...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I'll likely have to work some/most of the time during the day
Me too. I have usb solar charger and a 54000 mAh powerbrick which accepts grounded laptop cords and has a car charger.

I have my eye on the only campsite on the "God" spots at Cliff Lake which has cell service (mobile wifi) if you stand on one leg, and more reliable cell/wifi within 5 minutes drive on the road back to hwy and Mile/Sheep.

Capture.JPG

I've logged a bunch of work hours at Cliff over the years and most of our tentative campsites are similarly sited to minimize drive time and maximize beer/ride/work time.
In fact, with enough alpine motivation you'll be more efficient working on the road:cheers:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am still hoping my trip will happen, albeit only for an extended weekend. I am in a new jerb talks too that may or may not happen - gotta figure all that crap out. Do we have a final agenda about locations to stay for each day yet? I'll need to start looking at airports/airlines soon, and where to have my bike shipped.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I am still hoping my trip will happen, albeit only for an extended weekend. I am in a new jerb talks too that may or may not happen - gotta figure all that crap out. Do we have a final agenda about locations to stay for each day yet? I'll need to start looking at airports/airlines soon, and where to have my bike shipped.
Sounds good, I suspect we'll do most of the rides outlined, but may reorganize and drop one or two if folks bail before 2nd weekend.

BZN is our airport, though for fare shopping you could try Butte (1:15 away) or Billings (2+)

Happy to help with any logistical issues, just let me know...

A bunch of bike shops in BZN re shipping...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If short people want to participate I have 3 decent bikes and I can only ride one at a time, that would make logistics easier for anyone 5'8" or under. The Yeti has a Pike and e13 tires....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well shitbitch there you go. If (and it'a big if) I make it up, I'll likely have to work some/most of the time during the day so I certainly wouldn't want ya'll to change up plans based on my weirdness. I'll have to dig into the itinerary if My Person™ and friends are intradasted, and go from there. Some thoughts for me, not for you guys but just for my purposes:
  • Travel day(s) will be tough to sort out, particularly if this gig goes full-time.
  • Blackmore and Curly are early in the trip and a Fri / Sun thing, so could be in on those.
  • Highly recommended rides seem to be on the menu for Thu-Sun of each week, which is good for me.
  • Bob Log III just came up on shuffle hoo-dang.
  • Probably have to post up somewhere and work Mon-Wed minimum.
  • Could sneak out for a Wolverine Basin shuttle on that Monday if it can be done late enough in the day.
  • Beer is delicious.
  • Do I still owe @Montana rider money for bacon? Shit, I'd feel bad if I do... but I have been unemployed for a bit...
Love the ride ideas and bacon, beer, etc.
We do have a generator that is quiet, uses a little gas but will definitely power work options.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
We are 100
Funny you should mention this. Since we're just about 6 weeks out (i.e. the cheapest airfares) I wanted a roll call so we can "adjust" the schedule and goods if need be to maximize quality over quantity.

I think @TreeSaw and family are still in *though they were leaving by Thursday-ish 24th*
@johnbryanpeters and Vero are in *though I believe Vero will be leaving Weds/Thurs as well*
@StiHacka was tentative, but he should just quit his job and start fun-employment.
@Pesqueeb was iffy, but he should just lose his job and start fun-employment and bring the family.
@Serial Midget is a Tue-Thurs warrior, though he may try to juggle things around
@DirtyMike said he may be able to make a few rides as well...

Are any other lurkers / possible maybes?

I don't need a real hard count until the week prior when I'm shopping for bacon and beer and snagging the non-reservable sites.

I would rate
Blackmore

Curly

Wolverine Basin (new to me, hoping to scout out in a few weeks but came highly recommended),

And the stuff in the Henry's Mountains
Sheep

Mile

CDT

in the upper tier

Followed closely by North Hebgen

Taylor Fork

and Big Sky rides

And I'd put Bangtail, Homestake at the lowest tier. Great rides, but not epic back country *lowercase* wilderness rides.

BLACK OUT THE SUN

I planned Monday as a Norris Hot Springs/Recovery day with the possibility for Wolverine Basin shuttle thrown in, but that's also Solar Eclipse.

Our next basecamp (leaving Curly) is Cliff/Wade Lakes and only an hour from Ashton ID and the closest sight line for the full eclipse in SW MT. Unfortunately the show is 10 to 1:00 PM, I believe, so we'd have to beat feet early that morning or (more likely) pack up Sunday night instead.

If there's interest in the eclipse we can juggle the schedule a bit, and leave door open for Wolverine Basin Shuttle assuming traffic back to MT isn't zombie apocalypse bad...

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

TLDR: @Full Trucker, if you (or anyone else) make it up, we will work out ride schedules accordingly.

I'll have have mellow family-friendly options (bike/hike/canoe/SUP) too so monkeys can customize their own adventures and recovery days.
We are 100% in and can't wait! I have your flash drive and some money....do you want me to send it or bring it along with some special beers to make-up for my inability to get these to you in a timely manner? We are PSYCHED!!!

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Bring it along with some special beers...We are PSYCHED!!!
We're psyched too.

Spent the weekend camping and doing trailwork on Mile/Sheep area with Southwest Montana Mountain Bike Association (SWMMBA)

Our crew cleared 30+ trees from the Dry Fork of Targhee Creek and overall some 130 trees were cleared and EVERY ride in the Henry's Mountains is good to go.

:monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance:

It takes balls of steel to ride with a chainsaw, much respect:

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
We're psyched too.

Spent the weekend camping and doing trailwork on Mile/Sheep area with Southwest Montana Mountain Bike Association (SWMMBA)

Our crew cleared 30+ trees from the Dry Fork of Targhee Creek and overall some 130 trees were cleared and EVERY ride in the Henry's Mountains is good to go.

:monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance::monkeydance:

Done deal!!!! My youngest is riding well, but not really ready for trails yet (she doesn't have a lot of braking control) so we will have to figure out who's riding when (my oldest is willing/able to stay back and watch her if wildlife isn't a big concern).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The bail list seems larger than the attend list. If you can get you butt here the cost will be minimal and the trails are awesome. I also have good bikes I can loan if you are shortish and don't want to schlep yours across the country. :)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Did I already bail? I think I might have bailed in a GMT somewhere... I was always a maybe on this trip anyways, much planetary alignment would have been required. Turns out I am going full time with the new job on August 15th, and will be traveling to D.C. 8/21-8/28 for team building, kick-off meetings with a client on a huge project, etc. So no dice for this guy... which is a drag because my ladyfriend was really intradasted in going.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I
The bail list seems larger than the attend list. If you can get you butt here the cost will be minimal and the trails are awesome. I also have good bikes I can loan if you are shortish and don't want to schlep yours across the country. :)
was thinking this as well! We are in! Debating which bike I should bring...oldest is on her fat bike so maybe that's what I'll roll too!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Bummer dudes. YEAH Treesaw! I will be in full unemployment and able to do the who shebang.
Sweet! I'll be beginning full unemployment mode too! Do you recommend hardtail or full suspension (or should I just roll fat with my oldest)? My youngest will have her Jamis and a Trail-a bike to ride some of the rides too. I went to the beer store and picked up some delicious local brews today too.

Can you guys get Troegs out west? How about Southern Tier or Magic Hat?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sweet! I'll be beginning full unemployment mode too! Do you recommend hardtail or full suspension (or should I just roll fat with my oldest)? My youngest will have her Jamis and a Trail-a bike to ride some of the rides too. I went to the beer store and picked up some delicious local brews today too.

My preference for climbing is a hardtail but every climb has a descent and @Montana rider is skilled at mapping maximum descent so... full squishie.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
@johnbryanpeters could you please rename this thread @TreeSaw private montucky toar (SICk) 2017.

@StiHacka @Full Trucker: tour guide offer letter extended... Just let me know when you're in the 406

@TreeSaw I saw the writing on the wall a few weeks back, and dialing back some of our back to back to back hubris the campsites all have fun kiddy singletrack nearby.

In any case bring full squish and we'll plan rides according to your (parental) needs and a mix of high Alpine epic.
And of course bear / beer
IMG_20170731_173739.jpg

My preference for climbing is a hardtail but every climb has a descent and @Montana rider is skilled at mapping maximum descent so... full squishie.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
@StiHacka @Full Trucker: tour guide offer letter extended... Just let me know when you're in the 406
So rad of you to say, sir. I will definitely take you up on it... bummed (but also stoked) that my impending full-time employment got in the way of this trip. Prior I was hoping to push F/T status out until 9/1, the ladyfriend was digging the idea of a Montucky trip... alas it is not to be.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
imgcache.jpg
Will be shopping for local brews on Monday....any special requests?
I trust your judgement, as long as it's either strong, hoppy or dark ;)

I still have an intact Puff can, that I'd intended to make a photo frame for a MDHWTF group shot when I'm feeling Martha Stewart...

FYI, smokey fire season has begun.

There's nothing burning near where we are hoping to ride (so far) but visibility on those saddles before the 3000-5000 foot downhills will not be as dramatic...

For example, this is the saddle from our local Hyalite Epic (Friday?) where the (3200'?) dropin into Cottonwood drainage starts in the foreground and BZN off to the distance (our campsite in the center right at the reservoir...)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
View attachment 126055

I trust your judgement, as long as it's either strong, hoppy or dark ;)

I still have an intact Puff can, that I'd intended to make a photo frame for a MDHWTF group shot when I'm feeling Martha Stewart...

FYI, smokey fire season has begun.

There's nothing burning near where we are hoping to ride (so far) but visibility on those saddles before the 3000-5000 foot downhills will not be as dramatic...

For example, this is the saddle from our local Hyalite Epic (Friday?) where the (3200'?) dropin into Cottonwood drainage starts in the foreground and BZN off to the distance (our campsite in the center right at the reservoir...)
Awesome...I picked up a couple that fit the bill last night at the local brewery!
Love the Puff can idea. By far one of my favorite beers.
That scenery looks AMAZING! Kids are psyched too...we'll be packing up the camper today and tomorrow and they are so ready to start our road trip. After I pack up everything I'll know for sure, but I think we should be ok food-wise (probably will need an ice stop and grab some fresh fruit/veg and maybe restock the meat on our way to you and I believe we will be driving through a city or two).

ETA -- I have 10 pairs of eclipse glasses too!

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
ETA -- I have 10 pairs of eclipse glasses too!
Nice! Our Cliff Lake campsite is 1 hour or so from the path of totality if you feel up to driving into the Eclipse-pocolypse, otherwise I suspect our campsite would be 90+% eclipse, I'm fine either way.

@Serial Midget and I are planning to do a few rides and grab THAT non-reservable campsite at Cliff the Tuesday 15th prior to your arrival.

We can totally hash out your rides over beers at the campsite in Hyalite and adjust on the fly based on weather and tired legs but I was curious if you had a better sense for when you needed to to head back?

I thought it was around Wed/Thursday (23rd or 24th) to make it back in time for school but wanted to check before we prepay for Cliff.

We'll also grab a trailer-friendly camp spot for the Curly Highline ride so by the time you arrive, all our lodging should be finalized.

I'm in the middle of a two-week stint as tour guide for a visiting family member, so I'm really looking forward to focusing on the important things in a few weeks (beers & bikes)

We just got back from Glacier -- stupid flat (car) tire prevented my one planned bike ride North of Polebridge but at least the Yeti got to take in some nice scenery on a dusty/smokey road trip -- and off to Yellowstone Monday for Part Duh.

Lastly, let me know if you want any suggestions for stops re: the kiddos and Yellowstone or Beartooth Hwy on your drive out...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Excellent! We plan on starting the trek home the afternoon of the 24th. I know we plan on checking out Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and some other things (maybe old faithful if we aren't going to be close to there) along the way but we'd love some suggestions too!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Nice! Our Cliff Lake campsite is 1 hour or so from the path of totality if you feel up to driving into the Eclipse-pocolypse, otherwise I suspect our campsite would be 90+% eclipse, I'm fine either way.

@Serial Midget and I are planning to do a few rides and grab THAT non-reservable campsite at Cliff the Tuesday 15th prior to your arrival.

We can totally hash out your rides over beers at the campsite in Hyalite and adjust on the fly based on weather and tired legs but I was curious if you had a better sense for when you needed to to head back?

I thought it was around Wed/Thursday (23rd or 24th) to make it back in time for school but wanted to check before we prepay for Cliff.

We'll also grab a trailer-friendly camp spot for the Curly Highline ride so by the time you arrive, all our lodging should be finalized.

I'm in the middle of a two-week stint as tour guide for a visiting family member, so I'm really looking forward to focusing on the important things in a few weeks (beers & bikes)

We just got back from Glacier -- stupid flat (car) tire prevented my one planned bike ride North of Polebridge but at least the Yeti got to take in some nice scenery on a dusty/smokey road trip -- and off to Yellowstone Monday for Part Duh.

Lastly, let me know if you want any suggestions for stops re: the kiddos and Yellowstone or Beartooth Hwy on your drive out...
Yes.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Excellent! We plan on starting the trek home the afternoon of the 24th. I know we plan on checking out Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and some other things (maybe old faithful if we aren't going to be close to there) along the way but we'd love some suggestions too!
Stop by the ma da hey and ask yourself why... :D

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
camper is packed (fridge isn't yet), coolers are staged to fill tomorrow...loading bikes and kayaks and then heading west to the inlaws tomorrow night.
Nice!!!

Does your driving plan still have you arriving in BZN on Thursday?

If you wind up getting into town on Weds, you could "dry dock" at our house.

The Midge and I should be done grabbing campsites by Wednesday and returning to town in the evening...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Nice!!!

Does your driving plan still have you arriving in BZN on Thursday?

If you wind up getting into town on Weds, you could "dry dock" at our house.

The Midge and I should be done grabbing campsites by Wednesday and returning to town in the evening...
Perfect. I will know more once we are on the road on Friday, but we may be in BZN on Wednesday to restock. I'll keep you posted!