Quantcast

Moooooooooore Front Range Goodness

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So I rode home today from work. The thermo on the bike computer never dropped below 101. :dead:

Which made Deer Creek seem easy, since by the time we got up to the trailhead it was registering in the low 80's. What a difference a little elevation & shade makes.

My buddy picked me up at my pad at about 6:15 and we were in the Deer Creek parking lot by 6:30. The initial climb was not too bad until the third and fourth pitches. I was having to stop fairly often and catch my breath.

Then a push up the wall (I had no legs to even attempt it) and another grunt to the Red Mesa junction. We continued the climb to the top of Red Mesa (temps were in the high 70s by now) and did the fabulous traverse around the mountain. I had nearly forgotten how fantastic this loop is. Lots of rocky goodness along with sections of flowy dark trees. :thumb:

We blasted down the double track back to the Red Mesa junction and climbed up Plymouth. Actually I pushed most of the way. My legs had pretty much abandoned me. Pushed to the high point, let the fork out to 125mm and started the fun, fun, fun traverse of Plymouth mountain. More excellent tight singletrack with lots of big rocks to keep it fun, fun, fun. I made it up the last short hill without the humiliation of walking yet again, then flowed down the smooth singletrack back to the main trail.

And made up for all that walking at the wall. I stopped and let my buddy make a couple stabs, but he got stymied by a large rock shortly into the mayhem. He stepped aside and I clipped in and picked a pretty smooth line down through the slabby boulders. By the time I'd gotten past the boulders into the loose $hit I let the front brake go and let speed be my friend. A little sketchy near the bottom and I was across the (dried up) stream.

We then hauled down the rest of the doubletrack and finished with a bit more singletrack at the end. A great, short (10 mile) after work ride. I'm knackered. Completely.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I *tried* to remember the camera this time........... but didn't. We rode it pretty fast.

Well, Seth rode it pretty fast. I pushed it pretty fast. :D
Even if you did have a camera, you wouldn't stop to take a picture, or even pose for one unless someone forced you to.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Rode Deer Creek again this morning. Saw one rider on the upper loops. When I descended to the parking lot I passed about a dozen people coming up. :eek:

Started at 05:45 and finished up at 07:05. In my chair at work after a shower by 08:00. What a fine way to start the morning. :thumb:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Rode Deer Creek again this morning. Saw one rider on the upper loops. When I descended to the parking lot I passed about a dozen people coming up. :eek:

Started at 05:45 and finished up at 07:05. In my chair at work after a shower by 08:00. What a fine way to start the morning. :thumb:
Sorry I didn't hook up with you... I ended up riding with a new guy from work this morning at Walker Ranch. You know, that 1 of 2 only places you're allowed to take a bike on boulder county dirt! Great ride, you'd like it.

I enjoyed my ride so much, I decided to cancell the rest of my appointments and head up into the hills later today.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:

Nice. When I rode Apex yesterday I started at 5:30 and was back at my truck at 6:50. In my chair at work after a shower and change by 7:45. EXCELLENT way to start the morning.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ascentrek said:
Sorry I didn't hook up with you... I ended up riding with a new guy from work this morning at Walker Ranch. You know, that 1 of 2 only places you're allowed to take a bike on boulder county dirt! Great ride, you'd like it.

I enjoyed my ride so much, I decided to cancell the rest of my appointments and head up into the hills later today.
I was gonna drop you a line, but didn't know if I'd actually be able to get to Deer Creek by 5:30. :dead:

I'll probably do it again next Wednesday, God willing. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Went on a ride a few weeks ago and brought a camera with no batteries. Not dead batteries, no batteries at all. At least I remembered to wear shorts.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
I'd rather have no shorts and a camera with batteries. Now *those* would be some pictures worth posting. :D

HAA HAA HA.... they would be pictures, but I don't know about posting them. I'll bring my camera next time... I will make sure to get some great SS shots.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
oh hey, why don't you wear those colored shorts that you gave your wife... weren't those yours to begin with? I know I've got some 80's lycra around here somewhere....