Quantcast

"Moral Values" and "Cultural Conservatives"

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
So anybody who watched the votes come in on CNN probably heard them talk about these two factors in the election about a half a dozen times. To me, the fact that Bush and the republicans in general get huge numbers of votes based on his supposed "Moral Values" is one of the great tragedys occuring in our country today. I say that not because I think moral values aren't important, but because the Republicans are suckering millions of Conservative Christians in this country into thinking the republican party is on the Christian side by paying lip service to them on a few select issues, and I think abortion would have to be the biggest one. Personally, I think abortion is wrong and it is my hope the eventually society in general will view it as arcane and barbaric, much as we now view slavery or lynching. But the simple fact is, George Bush has no intention of making an effort to ban abortion, and even if he did it wouldn't matter because he could never accomplish it. Yet he gets millions of votes by simply claiming to oppose abortion when he knows damn well he wont have to do a thing about it. He also portrays a down home, agrarian, christian image, when in fact he has been fabulously wealthy his whole life and if his views on war and human life tell me anything, it's that he is most definately not a Christian ("Christ Like"). By that a mean a person who esposes the ideals of love for all mankind, peace, and turning the other cheek(or at least not turning around and killing the other guy for slapping you). I guess my question is, Where the FVCK are the Christian Liberals??? Am I the only one that has actaully looked at what the republican party does and decided that they have nothing to do with Christianity?? The general population of those calling themselves christians in the country make me ashamed to be a part of the religion, even if a far removed part from the norm.

If you would like to comment on the embarrasing results of the gay marriage referendems, please do, damn rednecks... Chalk another one, well ten actually, up to religious ignorance.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TheInedibleHulk said:
Am I the only one that has actaully looked at what the republican party does and decided that they have nothing to do with Christianity??
Well, quite a few of us here noticed, but in terms of the general populus of the US, I'm gonna say:

Yes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The funny thing on CNN was Larry King wanting to call it a night and go home (quite rightly) and Wolf being all 'No, no - we're here all night folks!' - It was great. Larry was clearly knackered and pissed off by about 3am Eastern, and had no more enthusiasm for it all. He repeatedly pointed out that nothing more could happen this evening (last night?) so y'all might as well call it a night. Everyone ignored him and dug deeper into pointless speculation. I think I saw Larry slump forward in his seat when they went over the remaining states for the third time in about 4 minutes.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TheInedibleHulk said:
...post...
And what happened to conservatism being about individual choice and liberty, and keeping the government out of your life?

Personally, though, I think Bush's most brilliant move was initiating the gay marriage amendment. Absolutely no chance of it passing (and it damned well shouldn't...the Constitution should guarantee freedoms, not restrict them...that's for federal laws if it's really that big a deal), so he 1) doesn't have to deal with an actual backlash of any sort from moderates who might actually be scared if it passed and 2) looks like a martyr fighting to good fight to legislate "morality" in this "decadent world." He becomes the emblem to all of middle America that thinks this country is going down the toilet.

It blows my mind that many Americans seem to care so much about the President's personal faith (or appearance of it). I think I'm much more a libertarian than a republican...but I'm also pretty convinced that the economy and society do need some sorts of regulation, so I guess I'm not a *real* libertarian either.

MD

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Looks like Kerry didn't score the "Democratic Security Mom" vote that would have put him into the White House. These were women who normally vote Democrat but, who this time voted Bush based on 'security issues.' These are base democratic voters who abandoned Kerry because they just don't believe/trust him.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
N8 said:
Looks like Kerry didn't score the "Democratic Security Mom" vote that would have put him into the White House. These were women who normally vote Democrat but, who this time voted Bush based on 'security issues.' These are base democratic voters who abandoned Kerry because they just don't believe/trust him.
I'm just glad that now I don't have to ever worry about terrorism...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
lol, 52% of US-ers trusted more an absolutely self-assured guy who dragged them into a war with false information, and sent 1100 US-ers to die there, then flip-flopped over the reasons to go to war. Over the other guy.

how bad was that guy portraited to US-ers for them to choose GWB over him????? or... how stupid were those who votted republican to vote for GWB in spite of the war?????