Quantcast

More cyclocross bike love

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The ride reports are a bit lacking this time of the year, so I'll contribute this: In the winter months I use my cyclocross bike a lot because of the crushed cinder that they use for snow melt and traction on the snow here. When the snow melts it gets swept to the bikelanes. Also, it's very convenient for hammering on pavement to the trails. I can easily spin to a trail through fields or on the road, then spend time on a dirt trail loop, and then pedal back to the office. Granted, it's a little different on trails when I'm riding a fully rigid bike, and the braking and cornering is a bit of an art, but it is SO MUCH FUN!

Here are two simple pics of yesterday to inspire anyone who needs inspiration to love riding. :)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Granted, it's a little different on trails when I'm riding a fully rigid bike, and the braking and cornering is a bit of an art, but it is SO MUCH FUN!
So true. Looks like some sweet trails! I'm thinking about possibly moving to Oregon for the riding and whatnot. Maybe towards the end of the year depending on what happens to my company after the acquisition is done.

When I stay over at my girlfriends house she leaves a lot earlier than I normally do for work. I normally just go into work way earlier than normal and make it a 9 hour work day. So instead of sitting around at work I am just going to start doing CX rides in the morning before I head into the office. Cant wait.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I'm using my old CX with flat bars as my comutter in NYC. Rode trails with it on saturday and let me say, cornering needs to be relearned immediately! An yah, it was a fun time!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
They're great commuters too!
This is going to come across as one of the stupidest comments I have ever made, perhaps on the monkey in general.

I have a Sycip hardtail frame lying around that is getting no use. Would it be possible turn it into a 650c cross bike? I'd have to use Avid BB7 roadies because the frame is disc only.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
This is going to come across as one of the stupidest comments I have ever made, perhaps on the monkey in general.

I have a Sycip hardtail frame lying around that is getting no use. Would it be possible turn it into a 650c cross bike? I'd have to use Avid BB7 roadies because the frame is disc only.
haha, it'd be like an old time trial bike. I don't think you need drops to race cross actually, but you could build it up like an old Tomac styled racer...

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
not you can actually race a full mtn bike cyclocross as long as you DON"t have disc brakes. for some reason disc brakes have been bann from CX, but if you are jusr doing it as a fun bike then go for it. also i don't think there are 650c CX tires out there right now (though i could be wrong on that) just use a 26" wheel and tire that is narrow and acn take a hirgh pressure. i have sen this done before and it work very well. one thing to note though is that you are going to want atleast a 46T front chain ring. any smaller than that you will be spinning it out all the time on the road.

after reading this post the frist time it sparked me to rebiuld an CX frame i have but i forgot to bring my CX tires with me and i have been stuck with my raod tires over the past month and i have not been on the bike for over 5 miles because of that (it too windy here in the winter to have an enjoyable road, you get wind chill near 0 F. and the wind will push you all around)