Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
got a call to talk about director position at a little museum in monterey, ca. seems like a cool area...looked at previous directors' salary, looked at zillow...NOPE

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been wondering how the hell people afford houses in Seattle. Talked to the bank today and I could qualify for a house almost twice as much as I think I can afford.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Been wondering how the hell people afford houses in Seattle. Talked to the bank today and I could qualify for a house almost twice as much as I think I can afford.
:stupid:

I've been saying this about Portland. We could break even on our place (she bought in '06) but couldn't afford anything near town for less than $400k.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I should sell high, then sit on it (can sit on it tax free for 2 years) under the ass falls out, then buy myself something nice.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Got a generous offer in the mail yesterday from my bank/mortgage holder. I could re-fi and start over on a 15 year loan at a higher interest rate if I want to cash out! 35,000 at 3.9APR or 70,000 at 4.1. How can I say no? Time to buy that giant gas guzzling 8MPG SUV I've always wanted!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got a generous offer in the mail yesterday from my bank/mortgage holder. I could re-fi and start over on a 15 year loan at a higher interest rate if I want to cash out! 35,000 at 3.9APR or 70,000 at 4.1. How can I say no? Time to buy that giant gas guzzling 8MPG SUV I've always wanted!

Get a nice big TV while you are at it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Earliest we'd move would be around January 2018. That way we'd be in this place 2 years so could capture the capital gains later with the $500k shelter. Then we'd either sell just prior to 3 years from that (so as to still meet the lived in 2 years out of 5 rule) or rent it forever.

Looks like projected rent would be $500 more than my current mortgage PITI, although that latter is undervalued a few hundred dollars due to property tax valuation changing. Either way we'd get some equity out of renters' blood every month...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just applied for mortgage approval. Looking for a house in a fucking expensive area in a peaking market when a destabilizing megalomaniac is at the financial helm of the country. What could go wrong?

Haven't stepped in a singe house for sale here in Seattle, but from what I can gather I have the choice of a tiny old and obscenely expensive place in an awesome urban neighborhood that checks all the social boxes or slightly cheaper 'way too big homes' in neighborhoods full of uptight old white people. later option does include possible ocean/mountain views. In town options offer significantly lower risk of massive devaluation and an upside-down mortgage.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
nashville has gotten swank as fuck in the 20 years since i have left....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Earliest we'd move would be around January 2018. That way we'd be in this place 2 years so could capture the capital gains later with the $500k shelter. Then we'd either sell just prior to 3 years from that (so as to still meet the lived in 2 years out of 5 rule) or rent it forever.

Looks like projected rent would be $500 more than my current mortgage PITI, although that latter is undervalued a few hundred dollars due to property tax valuation changing. Either way we'd get some equity out of renters' blood every month...
be a out of state landlord.....that is hell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
be a out of state landlord.....that is hell.
I did that whilst in grad school. Used a broker. Worked out well, my profit margin was better than Toshi's though. Broker will take 10%, tax situation is rather favorable, less so if you do not move back in before selling.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
We are out of state landlords...but the property is 18 miles away. So not too bad.
seeing pics of glacier/teton/jellystone in the winter could tempt me to htfu and do a winter vacation one year.