Quantcast

More real estate doom and gloom

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
There is only 3% of developable land in all of Teton county (the rest is federal). The pressure that puts on existing RE is simply astounding.
Just to clarify, this is for a Boise Cascade that was trucked here from a mining camp in Utah 40 years ago.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
That's insane. :disgust:

"Nice" property in my zip code is looking at 20-40% per year at the moment.
Totally sustainable ;)

Well, it's good to know individuals are selling out to rich investors, US or foreign, which are probably corporate entities.

My neighborhood is filled with construction sites, where dilapidated SFR's have been torn down and are being converted to multi-story multi-family condos and apartments. Buy one or two houses for $600k each, tear them down, then sell 5-10 units for $900k+ each, or turn them into a dozen rental units with bachelor units starting at almost $2k per month.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Totally sustainable ;)

Well, it's good to know individuals are selling out to rich investors, US or foreign, which are probably corporate entities.

My neighborhood is filled with construction sites, where dilapidated SFR's have been torn down and are being converted to multi-story multi-family condos and apartments. Buy one or two houses for $600k each, tear them down, then sell 5-10 units for $900k+ each, or turn them into a dozen rental units with bachelor units starting at almost $2k per month.
But, everyone is wealthy in Hollywood!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
But, everyone is wealthy in Hollywood!
Including the guys I watched do a drug deal in front of the coffee shop, today. The guy who unbuckled his pants to get a small plastic bag from deep in his trousers was also riding one of those new boutique ///bicycles that has been aged to look rusted out and is missing a seat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Including the guys I watched do a drug deal in front of the coffee shop, today. The guy who unbuckled his pants to get a small plastic bag from deep in his trousers was also riding one of those new boutique ///bicycles that has been aged to look rusted out and is missing a seat.
Fucking hipsters

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jesus. It wasn't that long ago I was told to not go to St. Johns after dark.
Build a Whole Foods and the neighborhood goes to sh!t. About 5 or so years ago it happened. There are still some sketch parts (along Lombard, found a great dive bar there) but 90% of it has blown up. We looked at moving there 3 years ago and were priced out about a year ago. By the time our place had recovered, it was all $350k+. That's still too rich for my blood. But our place is looking like $320k right now, so...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ok, that's pretty fucked up ...

It actually sold for $1.1 million earlier in the year and is back on the market.

That area just got rezoned mixed commercial and you can build up to five stories. That is 'dozer bait and only valuable to someone who can purchase the neighboring properties to truly develop it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
According to zillow FWIW, my house

:think:

I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure what's happening to real estate around here meets the definition of "irrationally exuberant".
That's what my wife thinks about here (excepting refugees from the heat due to Global Warming).
She is talking bubble, and she has struck lightning twice with our two properties here...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Redfin is giving a price on our place almost 10 grand lower. I'm curious how any of these real estate websites come up with a value. FWIW I suspect, at least in our market, Zillow is closer to actual value.
For my house, Zillow gives $90k higher estimate than Redfin.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Redfin is giving a price on our place almost 10 grand lower. I'm curious how any of these real estate websites come up with a value. FWIW I suspect, at least in our market, Zillow is closer to actual value.
I'm pretty sure they value using an algorithm based on recent sales in your 'hood - but it's probably mostly voodoo-magic. :D

Just checked - Redfin estimate is $35K less than Zillow. :panic:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
According to zillow FWIW, my house

:think:

I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure what's happening to real estate around here meets the definition of "irrationally exuberant".
$11,340 in the past 30 days here. Up 40% since we purchased in 2014.

Only a $6k difference between Zillow and Redfin so I'm inclined to think the estimate is pretty spot on.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Zillow is just shy of $200k north of Redfin. Redfin didn't know about the finished basement, though: I updated the home facts so that'll update the value in a week, it said. ~1000 extra sq ft and an extra bedroom will change its algorithm's output, I reckon.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Surban is the new Burb

“Before its redevelopment from a failed golf course into a so-called ‘surban’ center, King of Prussia was best known for its regional mall, IKEA, bad traffic, and empty, dated office buildings. Today, the suburban Village at Valley Forge offers a full calendar of community events, 24-hour Wegmans, REI, several healthy fast casual restaurants, bike trails, walking trails, and a new Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania.”

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
^ As long as it's redevelopment, I'm on board. Sounds like another horrible contrived "community," but at least it's not more greenfield development.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
^ As long as it's redevelopment, I'm on board. Sounds like another horrible contrived "community," but at least it's not more greenfield development.
This. Here, the sprawl to the east continues, despite the clear lack of water and/or infrastructure. Meanwhile portions of downtown, anything along Academy, and now even the Powers corridor are turning into urban blight. But hey, prices are through the roof!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
This. Here, the sprawl to the east continues, despite the clear lack of water and/or infrastructure. Meanwhile portions of downtown, anything along Academy, and now even the Powers corridor are turning into urban blight. But hey, prices are through the roof!
Srsly - we need to quit considering a 2K square foot house a "necessity" for a family of 4.

Although, around here, it's more like a 4K square foot "necessity." :disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Srsly - we need to quit considering a 2K square foot house a "necessity" for a family of 4.

Although, around here, it's more like a 4K square foot "necessity." :disgust1:
To be fair, kids are annoying and it helps to have 3.5k of house between you and them.

Are they still building houses with a 3 car garage as the prominent frontal feature?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
To be fair, kids are annoying and it helps to have 3.5k of house between you and them.
This is the current reasoning I use for NOT selling our 2300 sq foot monstrosity. Although as kids get into the teen years, they just spend their time in the basement or in their rooms, so my living area is pretty peaceful most of the time.

Are they still building houses with a 3 car garage as the prominent frontal feature?
But of course! You can't have something in suburbia without it. Although around here it's starting to be a 4-car more and more...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
This is the current reasoning I use for NOT selling our 2300 sq foot monstrosity. Although as kids get into the teen years, they just spend their time in the basement or in their rooms, so my living area is pretty peaceful most of the time.

But of course! You can't have something in suburbia without it. Although around here it's starting to be a 4-car more and more...
I frequently drive by all of the development taking place by the old Rocky Flats plant. I love seeing the signs saying, "From the mid 400s!" or "From the mid 600s!" and wondering to myself who can reasonably afford such things. So many 4,000 sqft houses on 4,500 sqft lots.

The wife and I do pretty well and our low 200s mortgage seems like a pretty good balance.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
just went to look at our house on zillow and they have it confused with the house next door, noting it as sold last year (which the house next door did, unlike ours, which we bought in 2006). the numbers are stupid close (5056 versus 5055) but still. reported it. we'll see if they make the change. in general prices in our hood here declined slightly or held steady from 2007-2010 and then slowly rose until last year when they began to rise more steeply. will be interesting to see redfin vs. zillow when zillow fixes it.