Quantcast

more travel for the SGS DH

Y

yos1s25

Did anyone here ever tried to turn the link that holds the rear shock?
That will make the travel 9" and it is more linear.
I've tried it and it's work's great.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by yos1s25
Did anyone here ever tried to turn the link that holds the rear shock?
That will make the travel 9" and it is more linear.
I've tried it and it's work's great.
I developed the kinematics for the 03 and 04 SGS frames and I can tell you that you are wrong on both counts. Sorry.

Be careful with tire to seat tube interference and shock to seat mast interferece also, because it is DAMN close.

dw

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by dw
I developed the kinematics for the 03 and 04 SGS frames and I can tell you that you are wrong on both counts. Sorry.

Be careful with tire to seat tube interference and shock to seat mast interferece also, because it is DAMN close.

dw

I'm getting a little tired of your mr. know-it-all, smarty pants attitude...

Y

yos1s25

Why will I lose the warranty?
if DW will say that it will make me lose it... I'll change it back to the way it was.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If you damage the frame by reversing the link (which you aren't supposed to do) You might be risking it.

The bigger question is WHY? Why do this to your bike?

Why do you need more travel than the 8.5" on an SGS DH. That is a good amount of travel by any ones standards, even when going huge. If your suspension doesn't feel plush enough you need your shock tuned for your riding, not an increase in travel. Especcially one that could damage the frame.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
dude, if you need it to be soooo much more plush, then get a 100# lighter spring...

Reversing links like that can lead to regressive susp. rates that cause very harsh bottom-out, which can definitely crack your frame, bend your shock mounts, etc etc. Bad idea unless the links were designed with that in mind, and they obviously were NOT.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
if DW will say that it will make me lose it... I'll change it back to the way it was.
Yes, it will void your warranty!

-ska todd

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
put an avalanche shock on it if you need more "plush" or someting

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I can guarantee you that this will void your warranty. sorry

Dave

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by dw
I can guarantee you that this will void your warranty. sorry

Dave
So I'll have to turn my linkage upside down now? :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I flipped the plates around only to see how it would feel. The small my gf has came with a 450# spring (much too stiff) and I wanted to make it more rideable for her, just temp until the new spring comes. While the travel was increased, the quality of the travel went way down. Also, in general on the FSR bikes I have worked on, when flipping the plates "long travel", if the cable routing follows the links, the increased bending cable causes the derrailleur to wander.