Quantcast

Mormon Church OKs Firing Squad Change

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mormon Church OKs Firing Squad Change
Thu Sep 4,11:37 PM ET

SALT LAKE CITY - Hoping to clear the way for eliminating the firing squad as a means of execution, a Utah commission asked for and received a statement from the Mormon church saying it does not oppose the change.

In a one-sentence statement provided Wednesday to the Utah Sentencing Commission, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it "has no objection to the elimination of the firing squad in Utah."

The clarification was needed, according to one commission member, because of a purported church doctrine that held that justice was not done unless a murderer's blood was shed.

The Mormon statement removes a significant obstacle in Utah's effort to do away with firing-squad executions.

Commission member Paul Boyden said recent letters to the editor to newspapers indicate some in Mormon-dominated Utah still believe the firing squad is necessary for religious reasons. Commission members feared that belief could hurt the chances of the proposed change in the Legislature.

"If we hadn't (asked for the church's position), this probably would have been a question among some legislators and it may have not made it out of committee," Boyden said.

The commission is studying the issue and plans to formally recommend eliminating the firing squad, leaving injection as Utah's only method of execution. Commission members want to make the change quickly to stop the "media circus" that surrounds firing squad executions, Boyden said.

Utah is the only state that uses the firing squad method, although Idaho and Oklahoma retain it as an option if other methods are not viable.

Utah's last execution by firing squad took place in 1996. Two death row inmates who had chosen that method had been scheduled to die in June, but those executions were delayed.

N8Note: ....what's the diff.... injection or firing squad...??? Sould be allowed to execute prisioners either way....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Since when does the state need the churches blessing? :rolleyes:
Utah is a church state.... if you doubt it try living there sometime...

..uggggg...

Utah is a great illustration why there is a clear seperation between church and state and points out exactly why the 10 Commandments should clearly NOT be displayed in any government building.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by N8
Utah is a church state.... if you doubt it try living there sometime...

..uggggg...

Utah is a great illustration why there is a clear seperation between church and state and points out exactly why the 10 Commandments should clearly NOT be displayed in any government building.
Yeah, I've talked to people who loved living in SLC, but noted that the LDS certainly run the show in Utah. My GF and I considered moving there (great snow and trails), but we decided we're too liberal to handle it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
An eye for an eye, I always say. :monkey:

In my opinion death by injection is too easy on the condemned, I don't give a crap about how those who have been justly convicted of violent offenses are executed. We might as well have a good show.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
hehe, I'm LDS and I'd probably never move there. It would have to be a pretty good job offer. I've lived in areas with lots of LDS people (idaho and arizona) and places with few (Ny, colorado, and washington). I'm not even sure why I dislike Utah. I just didn't get the "feeling" there.

I'm a firm believer in capital punishment too (in a perfect system). I think capital punishment would be much more effective if it were public also. My only hangup on capital punishment is that our criminal justice system is flawed and there are too many innocent people in jail (despite our system being grossly slanted towards freeing the guilty).

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by mr_dove

I'm a firm believer in capital punishment too (in a perfect system). I think capital punishment would be much more effective if it were public also. My only hangup on capital punishment is that our criminal justice system is flawed and there are too many innocent people in jail (despite our system being grossly slanted towards freeing the guilty).
If there are too many innocent people in jail, they system isn't slanted enough toward freeing the guilty, IMHO.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
Our criminal justice system sees imprisoning an innocent as the worst possible outcome of any legal proceeding. It therefore requires a great deal of evidence in order to convict a person.

Because it requires so much evidence to convict someone, there are many guilty parties who are released because of the insufficiency of evidence against them.

Innocent people in jail or on death row are usually people who had huge amounts of evidence against them, despite being innocent.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
execution squad. that would blow.

anyways alot of innocent of people are being put to death, and guilty people get off alot. the problem is that we are an capitalist country, and the lawyers can badger and bribe and turn up all sorts of stuff, depending on how much people pay them. its sick.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
mmm, utah or the mid west... though question :rolleyes:

utah anyday

sure the laws suck, but i can get real beer across the border... plus, the powder and the riding make up for any inconveniences...

parts

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Serial Midget
An eye for an eye, I always say. :monkey:

In my opinion death by injection is too easy on the condemned, I don't give a crap about how those who have been justly convicted of violent offenses are executed. We might as well have a good show.
Whilst I can respect the viewpoint of an eye for an eye, I see no reason to execute anyone in anything less than the most humane way. Aside from the fact that sooner or later an innocent person will be killed (which is my main objection to capital punishment) it is a poor reflection on our level of civilisation if the need for revenge overcomes the need for justice.

But you were probably joking/trolling or whatever, eh?

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Let's bring back beheadings! Guillotine! That's the way to go! The only caveat to this is that a member of the victim's family must release the blade. No more of this sitting behind a 2-way mirror and then get to proclaim "Justice was served today!"

The Cheese

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by SuzyCreamcheese
Let's bring back beheadings! Guillotine! That's the way to go! The only caveat to this is that a member of the victim's family must release the blade. No more of this sitting behind a 2-way mirror and then get to proclaim "Justice was served today!"

The Cheese
No we're talking.......and after the deed is done you get to hold the severed head aloft and shout "behold the beast is dead" and it is then impaled on a pike and left outside the gates to the city as a warning to any recalcitrants:rolleyes: ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by fluff
But you were probably joking/trolling or whatever, eh?
Fluff! My favorite ignorant slut!!! How ya been? Aint't George Bush just crazy?

Anyhow I was not joking - if the condemned wish to die by fireing squad then so be it. These guys only chose that method as a stalling tactic in order to attract attention to their last minute appeals.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Fluff! My favorite ignorant slut!!! How ya been? Aint't George Bush just crazy?

Anyhow I was not joking - if the condemned wish to die by fireing squad then so be it. These guys only chose that method as a stalling tactic in order to attract attention to their last minute appeals.
You do say the sweetest things.

That's why I keep coming back!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ther have been too many people on death row proven innocent to make the death penalty defendable. one person is too many.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Originally posted by ummbikes
Are you comfortable with this?
Just because the poor bastards could not get the right represetation that`s their fault not mine ,btw the firing squad should be by B-B gun until dead make them really pay ;) ;) ;) ;) ;),if they would have done this while being rich they could just buy their way out like that big POS OJ

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Another thing we should do is public stoning. Yep, the guillotine and stoning. Enough of this chicken **** "lethal injection" stuff.

The Cheese

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by SuzyCreamcheese
Now THAT'S cruel and unusual punishment!

The Cheese
What? :confused: Goes in one side of he head without enough power to exit.....bounces around a little and the deed is done. Seems pretty quick and economical to me. :rolleyes:

It is not like the convicted gave much care into violating their targets in a kind and safe manner.........

To the tune of an old Pace Piante Sauce commercial:
".......in Texas where people know what public execution is supposed to look like.....why this is more of a debate in......NY City! ...........get a rope"

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by ummbikes
Why not crucifixion too?:rolleyes:
No,no,no...torn apart by wild horses is much better.....KILL KILL KILL....THRILL THRILL THRILL:rolleyes: ;)
Ooh, ooh, almost forgot......what about being hung, drawn and quartered, that has commercial breaks built in...

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I wouldn't mind the cruxifiction, guillotine, stoning or the hanging/drawing/quartering.

Do you really think people would be so quick to murder another person if they knew they could very well be drawn and quartered?

Same with the head on a spike, it sends a VERY strong message.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Jorvik
I wouldn't mind the cruxifiction, guillotine, stoning or the hanging/drawing/quartering.

Do you really think people would be so quick to murder another person if they knew they could very well be drawn and quartered?

Same with the head on a spike, it sends a VERY strong message.
ROTFLMAO:D :D - I see these all went sailing right over your head, didn't they. You'll get it someday young fella, but right now you're struggling:rolleyes:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Seriously, whats wrong with these methods if we have absolute proof of a criminal's actions.

I'm not saying do this for shoplifters and whatnot, but for serious offenses, Murder, rape, kidnapping, etc, whats wrong with it? Other than that its not politically correct that is.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Seriously, whats wrong with these methods if we have absolute proof of a criminal's actions.

I'm not saying do this for shoplifters and whatnot, but for serious offenses, Murder, rape, kidnapping, etc, whats wrong with it? Other than that its not politically correct that is.
I don't dissagree with you. Just be carefull on your language. Rarely is anything "absolute" and that gives the loop hole people look for to get off easy.

I don't understand the courts appeal process fully.....but sometimes it seems that death row people can keep them selfs alive with appeals no matter what you do.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Absolute was a poor word choice, but I reckon most people understand what I mean. What I really mean is just that the person was proven to be guilty with solid evidence.
I knew what you meant but if anyone ever wanted to argue with you that is an easy target. "Proven... guilty" and "solid evidence" are also problematic......

If you are found guilty of a crime, it is "beyond a resonable doubt." Even that is cloudy if one tries to argue it. So you could simply say if they are found guilty.........(nothing more)

I would like to think that the "innocent" memebers on death row are a lot less than is claimed by the town criers. I don't think a few innocents should stay the execution on the hords of guilty members on death row. This is an unpopular stance, I know.

Please realize I come from a family whose father grew up on a farm and used to take "excess" farm cats to the back fence when he was young and put a bullet in there head. That was the way it was back then. Now I am sure he would have gone to jail. Also if a dog bit or snapped at anyone, they were removed from existance. Many of these qualities have passed to me. I have never killed a cat or dog, but I can see the point of population control and puplic safety. Only the good dogs lived back on the farms and only enough barn cats were kept that were reasonable to control rodents.

If you (back to people here) snap and kill or lash out enough to be convicted in this society. What is our society losing by removing you? Housing, clothing, and feeding them is a drain on society that is overly excessive.....only thing we did is take them off the streets (for a little while) and take money away from law abiding citizens and there daily life.