Quantcast

Most overrated bands EVER!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I know this kind of thing has been beaten to death, but I listened to some jacknut on the way home from LA today prattling on about the Beatles (WHO SUCK!) and I just had to weigh in on my
5 MOST OVERRATED BANDS EVRE

1. The Beatles
Not highly original, ripped off Chuck Berry, Elvis, Motown etc. Plus eventually spawned "Wings" and who could forget Ringo as Mr Condustor on Thomas the Tank Engine...
Went from being pop, top 40 to hiding from the press. Keith Moon could of/should of kicked all their a$$es.
2. The Doors.
Jim Morrison, closet case who denied his parents were alive, although they outlived him. Plus, bad movie w/ Val Kilemr, and NO BASS, WTF?
3. The Eagles.me
So. Cal. power mellow. Gimme a break.
4. The Sex Pistols.
Invented by Malcolm McClaren to capitaliize on a trend and sell records. Joe Strummer could of/should ofkikced all their a$$es!
5. The Kinks
OHMYGAWDDOTHEYSUCK! Aside from "Lola" and "You really got me" what has Ray Davies contributed to society? I bough "The Road" and endede up using for target practice. The f@cking used CD place wouldtn even take it...
So anywya, theres my input for the night. Take it, or leave it...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
JohnE said:
I know this kind of thing has been beaten to death, but I listened to some jacknut on the way home from LA today prattling on about the Beatles (WHO SUCK!) and I just had to weigh in on my
5 MOST OVERRATED BANDS EVRE

1. The Beatles
Not highly original, ripped off Chuck Berry, Elvis, Motown etc. Plus eventually spawned "Wings" and who could forget Ringo as Mr Condustor on Thomas the Tank Engine...
Went from being pop, top 40 to hiding from the press. Keith Moon could of/should of kicked all their a$$es.
2. The Doors.
Jim Morrison, closet case who denied his parents were alive, although they outlived him. Plus, bad movie w/ Val Kilemr, and NO BASS, WTF?
3. The Eagles.me
So. Cal. power mellow. Gimme a break.
4. The Sex Pistols.
Invented by Malcolm McClaren to capitaliize on a trend and sell records. Joe Strummer could of/should ofkikced all their a$$es!
5. The Kinks
OHMYGAWDDOTHEYSUCK! Aside from "Lola" and "You really got me" what has Ray Davies contributed to society? I bough "The Road" and endede up using for target practice. The f@cking used CD place wouldtn even take it...
So anywya, theres my input for the night. Take it, or leave it...
Let me guess your age..........16-19 years old.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
U2.

The Beatles.

I disagree on The Doors.

Edit: oooh someone gave me some red squares!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think underrated bands are far more interesting. I started to put together a list of overrated bands and it was too huge to post.

As for UNDERRATED bands, look at groups like AFI that most people I meet have never heard of, but yet they enjoy many of the bands they influence.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Brian HCM#1 said:
Let me guess your age..........16-19 years old.
16-19? Thats just my dating pool...(I hope the wife never reads this!!) Nice shot, but try 35-40.
Were I 16, I would add Green Day, Blink 182 and Yellow Card, to name just a few poseur punkers out today.
Joe and Keith would whip the sh*t out of those cats!
16-19, sheesh.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My top 5 under rated bands...
1. Webb Wilder and the Nashvegans
2. Dropkick Murphys
3. Anything with Brian Setzer
4. Dire Straits
5. The Who
5a. The Clash

Gimme time, and more beer and my f#cking CD collection (currently hung up in customs...) and I will add a few.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind folks, this is but my humble opinion. So all you Brian Eno, Peter Gallagher and Chris Isaaks fans remember, Keith Moon would whip all your a$$es...
BTW, the Beach Boys suck too, and I live in California...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My top 5 overrated:

Led Zeppelin: I simply hate them. Spare me all the "influencial" crap too. They get so much hype...

Jimmie Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn: Yeah, I get it. You can make a bunch of stupid noises with a guitar. Thanks. Move along please and learn how to FINISH a song. Here's a hint. The point is not to drone on for hours with random, inane solos with no relevance to the rest of the song to the point that the listener becomes bored.

Kiss: Two good songs, 500 crappy ones. Who knew stupid face paint would draw worship from Vh1 for eternity? Please die.

The Eagles: They just suck. Tell me what the hell is wrong with the world that these a-holes have the top grossing record of all time? Which song is it that stands out? I have no ****ing clue...

AC/DC: Same song, every song, every time. Tired of it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
a.) SRV is probably the best pure blues guitarist that you will ever hear
b.) who ever rated Kiss as being good?
c.) Nirvana = highly overrated.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
As far as classics that are way overworshipped, I highly agree with the doors nomination. Not that I don't have any appreciation for them at all, but they are most certainly overrated.

I agree that Dire Straits, and most notably Mark Knopfler are very underrated.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I think the Kinks are one of the most underated bands of all time! If your exposure to their discography is limited to two songs, you've heard nothing yet!

Neg Rep for dropping that one my friend! :redhot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :redhot:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The Beatles - Not highly original,
:rofl:

that mark knopfler sure is an envelope-pusher. :rofl:

the kinks mid period (from _Face to Face_ through _Arthur_) is a hugely sucessful musical legacy. don't blame yr ignorance on the straitjacketed FM radio programmers.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
narlus said:
:rofl:

that mark knopfler sure is an envelope-pusher. :rofl:

the kinks mid period (from _Face to Face_ through _Arthur_) is a hugely sucessful musical legacy. don't blame yr ignorance on the straitjacketed FM radio programmers.
I knew this thread would give you a laugh. Dire Straits.:dead: :dead:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
JohnE said:
16-19? Thats just my dating pool...(I hope the wife never reads this!!) Nice shot, but try 35-40.
Were I 16, I would add Green Day, Blink 182 and Yellow Card, to name just a few poseur punkers out today.
Joe and Keith would whip the sh*t out of those cats!
16-19, sheesh.
You should change it to bands you personally don't care for.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
JohnE said:
1. The Beatles
2. The Doors.
3. The Eagles
4. The Sex Pistols.
5. The Kinks
Wow you picked some pretty interesting ones.

The beatles? For their time they changed everything... and JL's songwriting still inspires musicians today. The Doors? The Eagles? I never liked the them but their sound was very professional and tight.

Anyway my picks (and I'm not going to think about it too hard) are:
1. Blink 182
2. Limp Bizkit
3. Kenny G.
4. Mosty any band related in some way to large groups of Harley Davidsons
5. Almost any band post 1990 that starts with "The"

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
MMike said:
That guy that "sings" "Beautiful" with the Rod Stewart wannabe voice
LOL. Dude, that's Joe Cocker... who is basically who Rod Stewart copied. At worst, they both arrived on the Brit-blues scene around at the same time. :p

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ian F said:
LOL. Dude, that's Joe Cocker... who is basically who Rod Stewart copied. At worst, they both arrived on the Brit-blues scene around at the same time. :p
No no no....the new guy. Song's been out for about a year or so... was the musical guest on SNL this past season....

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
MMike said:
No no no....the new guy. Song's been out for about a year or so... was the musical guest on SNL this past season....
Ah... that guy... vaguely heard of him... my bad. I don't pay much attention to new music anymore... I've been on a classical kick for a few years now. I can even listen to opera. :rolleyes:
:nopity:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, here are some of mine:

modest mouse
dave mathews band
grateful dead
slayer
jimmy buffet

i am in full agreement w/ the doors/eagles being absolute tosh.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
narlus said:
ok, here are some of mine:

modest mouse
dave mathews band
grateful dead
slayer
jimmy buffet

i am in full agreement w/ the doors/eagles being absolute tosh.
Modest Mouse??? The devil you say! Whats next? Pavement? Cat Power?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i can't stand ian's singing style, really, and the rhythm isn't my bag either. 'dramamine' is about the only song i really like.

pavement and cat power will never be overrated on my list.

btw, i saw the worst band in the world friday night, and i blame ian brock directly (they had a similar sing/songy-shoutey vocal style). the band was called Bound Stems and i hate them w/ every fibre of my being.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Slayer?

You think Slayer is overrated?

You seriously think that?

Sad really...

EDIT: Then again, you also dont like Iron Maiden, so therefore your opinion on metal is flawed from teh start. I shouldnt be surprised.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
you mean, 'all the songs sound the same' slayer?

it was basically just a ruse to get a fish on the hook, so pat yrself on the back for grabbing the shiny spoon.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
MMike said:
His name is James Blunt, and yes, he is entirely overrated. Then again, I didn't like him to start with.

This is all just subjective, but fun none the less.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
_what would the community think_ is probably my favorite...the covers she does of "fate of the human carbine" and "bathysphere" are incredible, and i love the originals too (peter jefferies and smog, respectively, if you've not heard 'em).

her cover of 'satisfaction' could be the best cover version of all time.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Eagles:further proof that there is no god, or else they'd be dead.

Social Distortion: your christian, you whine alot and your songs sound the same....we get it.

Duran-Duran: a spectacular turd in a decade of floaters. Courtesy flush please.