SoCal
It was a few bucks so I said, "Why not?" Behold, the Chainring Nut Wrench

Save your dough and get this instead

Got any useless crap in your toolbox?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have two Campy cassette tools after BTI billed one as cassette and one as BB...they're one and the same spline. And didn't even fit my (older than UltraTorque) Campy BB.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have two Campy cassette tools after BTI billed one as cassette and one as BB...they're one and the same spline. And didn't even fit my (older than UltraTorque) Campy BB.
Welcome to the joys of Campy ownership. I am currently in the midst of dealing with a guy trying to put a modern Campy drivetrain on an old Peugeot frame. I've tried to convince him this is a terrible idea, but he's adamant, so I'm going to spend some time tomorrow reaming out the BB on said frame, and retapping it to accept an Italian BB. It'll be fun.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Knuckleslammer?

Ohhhhhh, tool in my toolbox??

Pvc cutters. Hacksaw is faster and straighter.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have used every one of those tools. You just have to need them. The chain ring bolt tool is just to hold the back side. The wide end works far batter on self extracting bolt caps than a spanner. The tire squeezer will work if you are working on some old crappy wheel and you can't get the bead to pop out. I can mount almost any tires sans tools, but have found use for it on occasion. They all have their purpose.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are you serious? You must not work on enough older bikes to appreciate the "third hand" tool. It also works great on getting zip ties super tight.
:stupid:

They're also really good, with a little modification, at keeping bladed spokes from winding up when building/ truing a wheel.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

While not completely useless you just can't use both ends at the same time. You'll need two of them.
yeah i never understood that. you can tighten it with that wrench, but still need a crescent or something similar to loosen it along with the whip.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Are you serious? You must not work on enough older bikes to appreciate the "third hand" tool. It also works great on getting zip ties super tight.
Angrymetalsmith (aka Jack) used this tool brilliantly one day shuttling. I think it was T-Pirate/Mulestar or his buddy. They sheered their Hayes Sole disc brake right off the bar. He used that thing and like 12-15 zip-ties to hold the assembly in place.

Kid rode with it for a long time afterwards and it was dang near stronger. Big ups to Angrymetalsmith/viking butt pirate/beer snob/Jack. :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I hate regular allen wrenches. Too short to get enough torque.
I have not used regular allen L-keys for a long time. A gooseneck 3/8" rachet driver and a set of 3mm-10mm allen bits works really nice and really fast in comparison.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You must be a fixie rider or something.
He means you can't use the side of the tool away from the chain whip, that is designed to hold the Park cassette tool. You can tighten the cassette with that end, but you still need another one to loosen it since you're holding the cassette in place w/ the chain.

I use every tool in this thread regularly, aside from that Campy sh!t.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm about to change out the pivot bearings on my M6. Is it worth buying a dedicated puller/press or will sockets and a long threaded rod be good enough?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You must be a fixie rider or something.
see below

He means you can't use the side of the tool away from the chain whip, that is designed to hold the Park cassette tool. You can tighten the cassette with that end, but you still need another one to loosen it since you're holding the cassette in place w/ the chain.

I use every tool in this thread regularly, aside from that Campy sh!t.