Quantcast

Mothership Wit Organic Wheat Beer

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I bought a 6'er of New Belgium Brewing Co's Mothership Wit Organic Wheat Beer on a whim last evening.

It's about as colorful as Sprite.. and it doesn't taste much like beer either really.

But, I need to have a couple more to make a final judgement.

Anyone else give it a go?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I kind of like it. A true Belgian Wit is quite a masterpiece, one of my favorite styles of beer, but IMHO not many of the few breweries that do them do them right. A lot of spices not normally associated with beer go into them so I don't think many breweries make them purely due to cost factor. New Belgium is the only brewery I know of doing them even close to major production scale.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
It's not bad, alot better than that Fat Tire crap everyone raves about. As far as new Belgium goes I like the 1554.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It's not bad, alot better than that Fat Tire crap everyone raves about. As far as new Belgium goes I like the 1554.
The "Lips of Faith" series is well worth the bomber (and the slightly higher cost).

I've had the Bier de Mars (WOW!!!) and the blond (also pretty good...).

The 1554 is awesome!! Best beer next from them that I can find on a regular basis. (the mars was a one time thing in Portland for me...haven't seen it ever here in Seattle...and the blond is hit or miss at stores here...)

As far as Wit's go...I've tried (listed in best to good ranking):

St. Bernardus Witbier
Sam Adams Imperial White (it's pretty rockin'...so are their other "Imperial" lines)
Hoegaarden White
Allagash White
(and yes...even coors has touched my palate...) Blue Moon....

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I dumped a big bottle of Wit on the compost pile...even after many sips I couldn't find anything to like about it. Like 2.0 said...It didn't really taste like beer and had a aftertaste like bacon fat. I'll drink a Fattire if it's offered and like the 1554 best out of all of them.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Whatever you do don't try the New Belgum Old Cherry. I don't know if they still make it but it used to be in the variety packs with the Whit and 1554.

I'm not one to let beer go to waste, and I've had more than a few crappy beers in my time, but I could never finish a bottle. Lets just say it tastes like it sounds.