Quantcast

Moto-style armor?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have a 661 Pressure Suit, but it's uncomfortable, very hot, and doesn't fit that well, and I don't have enough money to replace it with something else. Fortunately, I have a pretty-new Thor motocross chest protector laying around my house. Do any of you ride DH with moto armor? If so, how well does it work? Has it been enough protection in your crashes? My main concern is that there is no foam covering your spine (only plastic), so it doesn't seem like it would work that well if you fell hard on your back, especially on something fairly pointy.

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
i wear moto stuff. i wear thor a force chest protectr and force knee pads the knee pads have alot of protection on your upper leg, and the chest protector has both rubber and plastic for your spine. i wear mine euro under my jersey. i've had some really bad crash on my moto both on supercross and hare scrables,and came out pretty good,so i trust mine to the fullest.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
My Friend crashed HARD on his moto armor. He was coming out the bottom of a trail, and there had been a trench dug in it that no one told us about, and it was hard to see until you came up to it.

Anyway, he was probably going 30+MPH and got thrown quite a distance. He broke the shoulder plate on the armor in half, and came out of it with a 2nd degree seperation in his shoulder.

The Moto armor is better than nothing, but from what I understand, it is not made for crashing, it is made to deflect the rocks the rider in front of you kicks up. (although, my 661 pressure suit has a tag on it that says that too....:rolleyes: )

My opinion, yes, it is better than nothing, no it is not as good as the pressure suit

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by BigMike
My Friend crashed HARD on his moto armor. He was coming out the bottom of a trail, and there had been a trench dug in it that no one told us about, and it was hard to see until you came up to it.

Anyway, he was probably going 30+MPH and got thrown quite a distance. He broke the shoulder plate on the armor in half, and came out of it with a 2nd degree seperation in his shoulder.

The Moto armor is better than nothing, but from what I understand, it is not made for crashing, it is made to deflect the rocks the rider in front of you kicks up. (although, my 661 pressure suit has a tag on it that says that too....:rolleyes: )

My opinion, yes, it is better than nothing, no it is not as good as the pressure suit
Remind me to waste my time explaining the origination of the term roost guard to you and everyone else.

In short,

It is really similiar to the miss use of the term "leathers" in todays MX word....it is tradition. They haven't sold leather MX pants for over 20 years. They are all cordura this and nylon that....not leathers.

A roost guard in the day was like a Baseball catchers chest guard...a padded "bib" if you will. They sell MX protectors that just come in the front plate for similiar effect.

MX "chest protectors" (again leading back to bibs) is as good as your preasure suit at much when fit correctly. MTB armor comes up short in hard plating though there are many different kinds. I doubt your armour would stop a seperation of a shoulder or a collar bone break any better than a MX gear. There are pros and cons to both.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
most armor will only protect from cuts, bruises, and impact related bone damage (ie, if you had to hit your elbow as hard as you could with a ball peen, id rather do it with my pressure suit on) unless its set up like football or hockey gear, its not going to protect against dislocations or breaks caused by stess on your bones. with that said, i would definitly look for something with spine plates like your pressure suit at least. you only have one spine and it kinda keeps your body together. if it was me, id rock the pressure suit despite its drawbacks untill you can afford whatever seems to fit you better. just be smart. go with as much protection as you can.