Quantcast

Motorcycles at the trails

urbanbiker45

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Hi all,
I am looking for some advice for a problem at the local trails. A motorcycle trials rider has decided to use the local trails as his training ground. I am cool with moto guys but he has been riding on and around the jumps, creating some nice ruts and eroding the jumps and berms--not cool. I have told him respectfully not to ride on the jumps twice before and he has shrugged me off and said he thought I was being unfair. Today when I found him riding on the jumps and the paths for the jumps causing more rutting (it was particularly bad because the ground was soft) I asked him not to ride on or around the jumps lines because it was causing damage. He became nasty with me demanding why I would make such a claim. He said that no other rider has ever had a problem with him and I should be ashamed of myself, my claims were baseless, I was being biased to motorcycles, i was lame for not just making repairs after him, etc. I just kept my cool and didn't try and provoke him anymore. The jumps are off a local bike/walking path and motorcycles are stricly illegal on the paved path and in the woods. The jumps are adjacent but are on private property and have been bulldozed two years ago. I was contemplating calling the cops but I didn't know how effective it would be and i didnt want to jepordize the trails. I dont want to get physical (im not a big guy and am not the fighter type). I know there are some seasoned trail builder/riders on these boards, so does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks!
Sam

Last edited:
WTF that guy sounds like a royal d1ck. We have issues with motos at our jumps 2(and i ride moto just not ON or around dj's for crying out loud) but its with pit bikes wanting to jump.
We had to posse up and scare em away.
I have a feeling though that the perp would likely vandalize your jumps as payback.
Good luck with that asshat but your probably gonna have to have some back up 2 make your point...:rant:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I am not kidding here: I spent 3 years building jumps in an area surrounded by rednecks and their dirtbikes. I had these boards with 3.5" nails sticking out of them, whenever I'd leave my jumps, I'd lay down the boards in front of all of my jumps, and cover them with leaves. The dirtbikers came a couple more times before they got tired of flats. I had one particularly douchey fourwheeler rider who would ram all of the jumps, nothing a rope tied between two trees, about 2 feet up,
across the trail couldn't fix.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am not kidding here: I spent 3 years building jumps in an area surrounded by rednecks and their dirtbikes. I had these boards with 3.5" nails sticking out of them, whenever I'd leave my jumps, I'd lay down the boards in front of all of my jumps, and cover them with leaves. The dirtbikers came a couple more times before they got tired of flats. I had one particularly douchey fourwheeler rider who would ram all of the jumps, nothing a rope tied between two trees, about 2 feet up,
across the trail couldn't fix.
agree, call the cops and loose your trails, at least this way you have a "chance" -he cant call the cops about nails at a place he cant legally ride in.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Try to explain how much work goes into maintaining the jumps. Ask him to clean up after himself or to buy a shovel and build his own damn berms. Be firm, but rational. This is your handiwork he's wrecking and you need to make him understand that.

If that fails, threaten to call him in. If you do something physical he'll feel obliged to retaliate and cause further damage. Careful application of meanie mugging is also useful. Making fun can help. This works better if there are a few of you.

Last-ditch efforts;
Dig pits in the center of the berms and fill them with sticks.
Make the jumps as steep as you dare and cement your landings.

urbanbiker45

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
thanks for the replies. I don't really want to booby trap the guy because i feel that you can get in some deep trouble if he figures it out and calls the cops. I am thinking about getting some of the bigger guys out to scare him away. Any other thoughts?

urbanbiker45

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
yeah thats a good point demo. I have been thinking about calling the cops from the paved trail and reporting the motorcycle guy from there. I am suprised he hasn't gotten sh1t for it already-this is in suburban maryland and he is easily spotted from the trail with the bare leaves...just a thought.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Any other thoughts?
Get into his head. Tell him that if he does not stop destroying what you work so hard to build, that you will have no choice but to unleash the most devastating horror upon his life. If he calls your bluff, then look at him with a stern face for a good 5 seconds, and say very calmly "it is within your best interest that you do not take my insanity lightly, who knows what might happen if you decide to test me." :)

Or...

Next time he is there, pay him no mind. If he stops near you, have a tape measure ready, walk over to him and act like you are taking measurements of his height. Then mutter under your breath (but just loud enough so he can hear you) "Yes I think he'd take up a good amount of room under the new jump..."

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Id say call the cops man. Unless there is a sign saying something like "government property... no trespassing" they'll probably be on your side.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
you shuld just rebuild them....except make it steep enough that there's no way he'll be able to make the jump.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
are you talking about 7 courts? I noticed you said suburban md, I was back there today just seeing how they survived the winter and noticed some dirtbike tracks. I second the booby trap notion.

Edit: if it is pm me I'm definitely down to stomp him next time hes there, I live pretty close. Just remember, people avenge small wounds but not great ones so if you do get physical you gotta beat the piss out of him.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Got any big friends? You're gonna have to make it clear to this guy he's taking his life in his hands riding there.... He may retaliate and your jumps might get plowed or vandalized, but with him tearing them up, it's the same difference.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Sam, is this going down at CC?

If so, it would take me about 5 minutes to get over there the next time this dude turns up.

I can be very persuasive.

You have my cell?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was kidding with the shovel, but there is no reasoning with an idiot.

He doesn't care about the dirt jumps or he wouldn't ride them.

Tell him he doesn't give a damn about the jumps or he'd either fix them or not ride there.

Bring a few friends and tell him to beat it or 1. you are going to chain them up, and 2. you are to chain whip him. Even though 2 is a bluff, how is he going to know that?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Sam, is this going down at CC?

If so, it would take me about 5 minutes to get over there the next time this dude turns up.

I can be very persuasive.

You have my cell?
Clay, wear a black business suit and dark glasses with your hair slicked back when you show up.
Step 1
Go into the trunk of your BMW, remove a spade, a tape measure and a machete.
step 2
Walk over to the guy, stick the machete in the ground. Pull the tape measure out and size him up.
step 3
Yell the measurments to Urbanbiker as you toss him the shovel. Tell him as he starts digging a hole "deep enough that we won't smell it, but not too deep... we want his body to be found"
Step 4
explain rationally how much work goes into the building of trails, and why RESPECT IS KEY...
step 5
evaluate his response... If response is favorable tell Urbanbiker, the new jump is shaping up nicely.
If MOTOperp is being a dick... tell Urbanbiker "you don't need to dig anymore, we can just chop this guy up small enough to fit in that hole."
Repeat step 4-5, making adjustments as needed.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
thanks for the replies. I don't really want to booby trap the guy because i feel that you can get in some deep trouble if he figures it out and calls the cops. I am thinking about getting some of the bigger guys out to scare him away. Any other thoughts?
Hey, he's the one riding where he's not supposed to be. So I saw go for the booby traps. The 4x4 posts and chains in front of jumps sounds good too...

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Take photos of the guy at the trails or the bike path, but dont let him see you do it. Then take the photos to Kinkos and make a few legal looking flyers about the bike being wanted for tresspassing and illegal operation. Use a phony # for the police dept and offer a reward for his arrest. Then post up the flyers on the bike path and at the jumps. Dude should get the message.

If that dont work contact a local trail users group in your area and ask for help.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
We had some flatbillers come out into our state forest area and proceed to roost on the face of one of the step ups. I got right in some face and made it clear somebody gonna get a shovel handle in the goggles if they did it again. They started talking some brotherhood of nature crap, then they left immediately. It probably wasn't the best way to handle it, but I have a good rep at the spot now.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just don't understand some people. I build a lot on our DH trails and have built some DJs as well and I had to deal with 4wheelers and dirtbikes as well. They think they have the right to just ride anywhere and destroy others work. I think it goes back to their upbringing. They just don't have respect. Some how you have to make them understand. On our DH trails we learned a bunch of different ways to keep them off. We use lots of bulk head drops, doubles, and post and cable at the entrances and exits of our trails. The 4x4 and chains sounds good.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
we've had a couple guys ride in and make tracks but not ride the jumps (just too tight)
for the most part they've been cool w/ us.
over the winter our crew dug a nice long trench across the main entrance. 1. for dirt 2. keep out the 4 wheelers / moto's. its obvious we don't want them riding in there now.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
anyone seriously suggesting boobie traps is thinking like a moron. There have been plenty of cases where these things have injured/killed people. In this case, I would say your only bet is to really confront the guy face to face and tell him to screw. Putting up boards/chains would be good too (not boobie trapped stuff) but he could still get to the berms/run ups. Anyway good luck

urbanbiker45

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
Sorry I didn't clarify this but the guy is a motorcycle trials rider so he doesnt hit the jumps, just wheelies around and hops on them, which is even worse than just riding them. He will also use the landings as a bank to do roosts and stalls which really hurt the jumps. He is also in his 50s (different generation, different concept of property and rules maybe?) and i am a punk teenager, so this guy obviously feels like he has some seniority. The jumps aren't 7courts (those are some fun jumps too), they are down in bethesda. I would love to fly people out to help but if i had that kind of money I would be invitingyou to my private riding compound. Booby traps seem a step in the wrong direction because that could elevate into a nasty lawsuit. Has anyone called the cops or a something similar about an issue like this.

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
tell him he's waay to old to be playing around on a kiddies park, really make him feel DEAD about where hes riding... make him feel like its just for children.... or get yer dad on him like "you been haraasin my boy? you feelin lucky, PUNK?" heel understand the dirty harry quote ;)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This can be a tough scenario because MXers, especially the old ones, are used to being kicked out of lands, ticketed, running from authorities, etc. Lots have seen their childhood riding spots shut to them because of encroaching suburbs, park lands expanding, whatever.

Regardless of the whys and wherefores of that, the bottom line is these dudes can be pretty jaded to someone telling them no. Kind of like those of us who used to be street skaters: there's an outlaw mentality.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This can be a tough scenario because MXers, especially the old ones, are used to being kicked out of lands, ticketed, running from authorities, etc. Lots have seen their childhood riding spots shut to them because of encroaching suburbs, park lands expanding, whatever.

Regardless of the whys and wherefores of that, the bottom line is these dudes can be pretty jaded to someone telling them no. Kind of like those of us who used to be street skaters: there's an outlaw mentality.
But this is what makes it even more pathetic. Now HE'S the douche bag ruing something for someone else....someone who's actually put WORK into a riding spot of their own.

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
if i tried to get my MX (some biig Husaberg 400cc enduro bike) i wouldnt get any air, id go strait through the jump, it wouldnt even fit up the launch... the only way to get this asshole away... is to hold... A DEATHMATCH!! :¬)