Quantcast

Mountain Bike Geometry Comparison Tool

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A buddy of mine has been pining over a new bike for a while, something to replace his 2013 Yeti SB95c. Fit and geo are all the rage these days, and he was wondering how newer Yetis compare in fit, slackitude, wheel travel, and the likes. So he did some simple cut-and-paste comparisons in an Excel spreadsheet, which he imported into Google Sheets. I went full nerd on it, and created a tool where you can add a bike model by adding a sheet with the specs, then a comparison page where you select your current bike and what bikes/sizes you want to compare it to.

Mountain Bike Geometry Comparison Tool

We're Yeti fanbois so it's currently pretty Yeti model heavy, but there's a couple others in there as well. There are also instructions on the sheet that does the comparisons on how to add additional bikes... feel free to add bikes but try not to fvck it up too badly okay?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
And if it's not clear, what the tool is setup to do is compare 2 sizes of 3 different bikes to a "master" bike, which has only one size. The idea is to see how a planned purchase compares in geo specs to your current bike, or a bike that you are familiar with.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
This is awesome, thanks.

I build my own spreadsheets to test ride a new frame before purchase, but this much better than anything I've ever made.

I'll probably add some Banshee content.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So the function that fetches all the sheet names (and populates the dropdown options) couldn't be attached to a NOW() thingy (technical term) so I put a ribbon trigger on it that which runs every 10 minutes or so. So to add a bike, duplicate the template sheet and immediately rename it, and by the time you get all the geo specs entered it should be available in the dropdowns.

So. Much. Nerding.

@mtg you got any suggestions for this thing? And/or wanna add all the GG models to it?

:brows:

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I was expecting frame silhouette overlays and R.A.D. coefficient calculator.
There's a cool excel spreadsheet I found online years ago - Bike_Comparator-v.1.7 which does do graphical overlays of the frames/cockpit between two different entered sets of geo.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I tossed my Reign in there... but it ain't showing up in the drop-down. Bug??
Clearly a bug. I'd file a report on the developer's issue tracker.

But seriously, I've been having trouble figuring out how to get that function to run either on a timed or activated by action trigger... I basically just refreshed the function itself and your bike is in the dropdown. I'll dick with it later, it's time to go drink beer and ride bieks.