Quantcast

Mountain Bike Trip.......Places to go?

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Ok, i need a little help in regards a mountian bike trip i want to do this year. if it was just me going it wouldnt be a big deal but my wife really loves to ride and she really wants to go on a trip this year, im very excited that she wants to go, i bought her a new bike this year to help pump her up for the season and it worked she is ready. i want to go some place that will be fun for me and fun for her. i enjoy everything, Downhill, Freeride, single track cross country, stunts, dirt jumps etc. my wife loves fast flowy single track stuf, she also enjoys lift access DH/FR runs as long as she doesnt have to do anything crazy, she even likes ladder bridges and fun stiff. ive been thinking about Snowshoe sounds like a good place for both of us but i have never been, what do you ladies think of it? all opinions are much appreciated and any recommendations for other places to go, we have been to Diablo and might end up going back but id like something new, im from NY so i dont want to drive much further than Snowshoe unless its a killer place to ride. help me out, thanks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Where are you in NY?

I would suggest hitting The Kingdom Trails (East Burke, VT). They have AMAZING fast, flowy singletrack there.

For lift assisted, you could even check out Whiteface. They have some new features built and their stuff is tough, but well worth the trip. Snowshoe is fun...we took a trip down there in 2004 when the freeride stuff was just opening.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
SNOWSHOE!!!

In addition to the lift assisted stuff on the mountain there is a vast amount of XC oriented trails also. I've taken 2 XC trips to the mountain and 6-7 DH trips.
Check out Elk River for XC recommendations in the Slatyfork area.
http://www.ertc.com/
One trail I would highly recommend is Prop's run for a fun XC 6-7 mile downhill.

The DH and FR stuff on the mountain is great and there is a good amount of DH trails there for beginners/intermediates. Make sure you check Snowhoe's lift schedule before you decide on a date. Having the western lift working is a plus.

We're from VA and are looking at Diablo for a trip this year.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
snowshoe is awsome for just about every thing. I went up 8 days last year, the freeride side has really muddy and slippery roots but on the western territory is just about the oppisite, dry and rocky but some sections can be real fast and flowy. I would recomend going, it is awsome.

Jane

Chimp
May 9, 2003
People's Republic of Golden
Crested Butte... tons of singletrack, plus downhill (I haven't ridden the lifts there, so can't speak for the DH), dirt jumps, etc. And phenomenal scenery. You'll think you stumbled into the Sound of Music movie set on the 401 trail.

I haven't been biking in Whistler in about 4 years. Back then, there was not as much singletrack and trail riding as CB. But Whistler's DH speaks for itself, of course!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
SNOWSHOE!!!

In addition to the lift assisted stuff on the mountain there is a vast amount of XC oriented trails also. I've taken 2 XC trips to the mountain and 6-7 DH trips.
One trail I would highly recommend is Prop's run for a fun XC 6-7 mile downhill.

The DH and FR stuff on the mountain is great and there is a good amount of DH trails there for beginners/intermediates. Make sure you check Snowhoe's lift schedule before you decide on a date. Having the western lift working is a plus.

Keep me posted and I'll try to make it down for some runs! I definitely need to hit Diablo more than twice this summer!

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
SNOWSHOE!!!

Another vote for Snowshoe!

They really do have everything you are looking for. As stated, Slaty Fork is really awesome also, but no lifts - more XC oriented, which is what I do. Both are required riding for the discriminating mountain biker!

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Keep me posted and I'll try to make it down for some runs! I definitely need to hit Diablo more than twice this summer!
Barring injuries and traveling burnout the tentative plans are to make it for the May 20th race and add on another riding day either Friday or Monday to make the long trip worthwhile.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Crested Butte... tons of singletrack, plus downhill (I haven't ridden the lifts there, so can't speak for the DH), dirt jumps, etc. And phenomenal scenery. You'll think you stumbled into the Sound of Music movie set on the 401 trail.

I haven't been biking in Whistler in about 4 years. Back then, there was not as much singletrack and trail riding as CB. But Whistler's DH speaks for itself, of course!
The DH there isn't too great although if you can arrange a shuttle for Doctor's Park that can be great. And there are several ski resorts within a couple of hours that have awesome DH (Keystone, Vail, and Winter Park. you can skip Snowmass and Breckenridge IMO).

I was tempted to toss that out as an idea yesterday but he said he didn't want to drive that far so I refrained.
However, if the distance was manageable I would say head down there for Fat Tire Bike week and tack on a few days at the beginning or end to hit Keystone, Vail, ad Winter Park.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Sweet! You going to be racing? Not sure if I would enter the race or not, but I do love to ride there.
Yep I'd be racing in Amateur. We're hoping that East Coast series comes about and if so we're planning on trying to race 7 of the 11 races plus the three Snowshoe races. It may be a little much but we'll find out. It's probably the only year we can devote to racing anytime soon so we're going to give it a go.