Quantcast

Moving to CA for the winter, where is the best so cal riding?

BeaconBomber

Chimp
Apr 9, 2009
Beacon, NY
Hey everyone,

Im moving from NY to CA for the winter so I can keep riding. I was thinking about moving to San Diego, I have some friends there. Is there any good DH there? I am looking to race the Fantana series so it would be nice to be day trip distance from there. Any advice on a sick place to live and ride in So cal?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
best place to live and ride super sick DH in SoCal... probably San Luis Obispo
that said, SD has some killer trails as well. There is a lot of good shuttle stuff in Organge County too. You can't really go wrong, as long as you're willing to drive a bit you can always find stuff to ride.

BeaconBomber

Chimp
Apr 9, 2009
Beacon, NY
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get in on some group rides when I get out there. The Whiteface DH race is this weekend here in NY, 3.2 mile track. pumped to be stoked.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I don't know if you've been out here before, but just want to make sure you have a heads up:

Be aware that you might want to carefully consider the bike(s) you bring out here. A good 6-7" travel bike is all you really need at Fontana, and while there are places where you can ride an 8"-travel bike, a lot of the riding out here is really pedally. You'll be pushing your bike a lot. An 8-9" travel bike is overkill in SoCal, in my opinion. I know, I know, you Santa Barbara people might have other things to say, but you still have to push the bike up the hill (SB is 4-5 hours north of SD).

If you choose to live in San Diego, be aware that your nearest DH chairlift access is about 8 hours north at Mammoth, and is not open past the end of Sept.

Fontana is a LOT of fun, but is small and limited compared to Diablo, and tiny compared to Plattekill. There is no chairlift, just a flatbed shuttle truck. No disrespect for Fontana, but coming from NY you might not be aware. On the plus side, at Fontana, you will be able to keep your DH skills and reflexes honed, and have a great opportunity to compare your run times with some top pros. It's a great place to be!

The greatest benefits you will reap here in SoCal will be to your cardio fitness. We pedal a lot around here.

-sunny
(former Jersey girl)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm in Socal and I own a 9 or 10 inch bike or whatever it is, and I don't really pedal for crap and do just fine. I'm around LA though.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
If he's only here for the winter, as he said, where should he ride a long-travel DH bike?

OK, I'll give you Bootleg. That's 5 hours north of San Diego, outside of Vegas. No chairlift; shuttles only.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Eh..he never even said what kind of bike(s) he has. I missed the just for winter part. I guess it all depends on how he is getting out here. Car = bring a trail bike and a DH bike if you got room. Plane = trail bike, definitely a lot more to ride.