Quantcast

moving to western NY-need dh trails.....HELP PLEASE

Apr 1, 2005
Cloud 9
Hello everyone. I am an ex-dh racer moving back home to Rochester from Colorado in July and I was wondering if anyone knew of any dh trails or dirt jumps in the area. You are probably thinking that I am crazy for moving back to NY from CO, but due to reasons beyond my control, I have to put my family first and that is where they are.:nopity:

So, with that out of the way....I am looking for resorts, dirt jumps or shuttle trails and I am willing to drive a bit as I am used to travelling at least a couple of hours to get to the resorts here in Colorado. I am aware that shuttle trails can be very prized possessions, but I am more than willing to help build, maintain or drive (I have a truck) shuttle. I can also trade trail knowledge and point you in the right direction regarding trails in CO if anyone ever wanted to come out here.

Anyways, I would really appreciate any info you guys could share.
:help:Thanks, Pete

Cmon, lots of views and no replies.....someone has to know something.

I have found Whiteface, Gore and of course Plattekill. Maybe someone knows travel time, what is best, etc.
But there has to be more as I know you New Yorkers are not just going to sit idley by and get fat on the couch.

Please help a dude out, thanks.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135732
This is in Syracuse, like an hour and a half from rochester.
I don't ride DH so I can't say I know the kind of trails that you would like but here are the ones in the area I can think of off hand in general.
Tryon park, Durand park (in irondequoit), dryer road (out in victor), pinnacle hill, hammond hill, skytop (syracuse), splitrock (syracuse), webster has some I believe as well. Most of these are pretty much xc, but skytop and pinnacle hill should have some jumps and there are some pretty intense dh sections in skytop. Also there are random jumps and stuff you can find throughout the city, some right by dinosaur bbq in the city if you know where that is.

Apr 1, 2005
Cloud 9
Hey Gumbafish. Thanks and I checked out the link you left, looks pretty cool. I can stop there on my way to Turning Stone. I will most likely be contacting you when it gets closer to my move date for directions and maybe see if you want to set up a ride, if that is ok. I knew there were more riders out there, lol. Talk to ya later and keep building!
Pete

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah I'll be here in Syracuse untill may, then probably back to Rochester for the summer. But I'll definately still be hitting up skytop for some riding over the summer plus all of the places in Rochester.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well, there's Tryon. It's kind of lost steam and I hardly ride there myself anymore, but if you want to do some trail riding, the ellison park wetlands are great, and theres some riding in the rest of ellison park aswell (not as much, however). Theres someplace in victor that's opened up recently. I have yet to check it out, but I hear good reviews. Unfortunately, I can't remember it's where abouts or its name.
Check out www.cycle-cny.com. Thats the Central NY riding site, you'll find who should be in this forum over there.
For good downhill, most of us just make the drive out to Plattekill, Diablo, snowshoe, etc. Rays is a good day trip aswell.

Apr 1, 2005
Cloud 9
Thanks guys. Just wondering how long of a drive is it to Plattekill from Rochester and I have not heard of "diablo" or "Ray's". Would you mind elaborating please? Thanks again for the references.

Apr 1, 2005
Cloud 9
Thanks fellas. I will get in touch with you when I get in town Gumba. I will be there in July. Cya
Pete

I do have another question.......Has anyone ever ridden Gore Mtn or Whiteface? Apparently they run the lifts in the summer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
learn to ride street. there is a strong street scene there. they ride every thursday night. i just made a temporary move from rochester to philly but will be back in september. this is gonna be my first year racing DH (platty, diablo, mt snow, and snowshoe) so i'm really stoked about it. definitely check out the CNY forums, there are actually a ton of people that ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh btw, ray's is an indoor park in cleveland. www.raysmtb.com i believe. its cool stuff, box jumps, skinnies, and now a park (ramps, spines) designed for 26". i've heard of whiteface, isn't it in vermont or something?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
diablo is vernon new jersey. i'm well under 3 hours from it now :cool:

and just over 3 to platty i think

echo's times are close. every time i've been to diablo from 585 we would go through binghamton and stay with bill. and i never bothered to keep track. its like ~2 to crazy bill's place, and around ~2.5 to diablo from there.