Quantcast

Mp3 vs. Normal audio file.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
So heres the big question. Can you tell the difference between original recording and a the mp3 algorithem?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's lossy compression, yes, but they use techniques that try to take away the frequencies you normally don't hear, and ones masked by other frequencies. also, mp3 is a broad category, from 16 kbps mono voice recordings to 320 kbps rips with a quality encoder. i'd wager that 99+% of the population couldn't tell a 256 kbps mp3 apart from a cd on midlevel stereo equipment in a proper double blind test.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i typically rip @ 192 kbps, and use variable bit encoding, so that it bumps the bit rate up when it needs to (ie, complex musical passages), or down (silence, low complexity sections, etc). it's close enough for me to the original wav file not to worry about it, but if i did ABX w/ good headphones i'd probably be able to discern a difference.

there are better compression algorithms out there too (MPC, ogg vorbis, etc) but they are trying to catch up, and i've just resigned myself to rip to mp3 because i've already got so much music encoded to mp3 already.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
yeah, at like 128k or less you can definitely tell a difference easily. I don't notice much at 192 and I can't tell any difference higher than that..... It's not perfect but it works okay.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mack: itunes -> preferences -> importing -> custom... and up the bit rate there

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ok, i got it set on ACC @ 200 kbps. Should be good.

WAV is 1:1 wich takes up too much disck space.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I use a SUPER old ripper called AudioCatalyst made by Xing. It's a 3 pass encoder, reads it, normalize it, encode it. I typically rip at 224kb/s, and when hooked up to a good home amp, you can still tell the diff between a 224kbs mp3 and the original CD. However, in most cases, I use mp3s in cars and little portable players. In that environment, you can't tell at all.

Edit: isn't ACC a "lossless" from Dolby Labs? How big are those files for say a 5 min song?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Audio Catalyst was/is a great ripper. I am currently using Easy CD-DA Extractor from Poikosoft. It's also pretty good. I usually rip at 256kbit/s

Pau11y said:
I use a SUPER old ripper called AudioCatalyst made by Xing. It's a 3 pass encoder, reads it, normalize it, encode it. I typically rip at 224kb/s, and when hooked up to a good home amp, you can still tell the diff between a 224kbs mp3 and the original CD. However, in most cases, I use mp3s in cars and little portable players. In that environment, you can't tell at all.

Edit: isn't ACC a "lossless" from Dolby Labs? How big are those files for say a 5 min song?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
aac (don't know what acc is) is not lossless, at least not in its typical guise.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Pau11y said:

paully, i'd suggest using a more modern algorithm than that Xing one. i agree that w/ car and portable outside noise, it's tougher to hear flaws which exist, but try doing an ABX comparison and i bet you'll see the difference clearly.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
narlus said:
paully, i'd suggest using a more modern algorithm than that Xing one. i agree that w/ car and portable outside noise, it's tougher to hear flaws which exist, but try doing an ABX comparison and i bet you'll see the difference clearly.
Shoot off some proggie name for me to check out. I thought I saw iTunes?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I have now been burning to MPEG 320 kbs. I cant tell the difference, only in some parts of songs where its complex, then i can tell.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Is Windows Media Player that much worse than any of the programs mentioned above? I know there are die hards that insist that winamp or some other player is best, I ripped most of my collection to .wma and copied the files to cd-r's to listen to at work (cheap computer speakers in an office with lots of warehouse noise just outside of the open door,) our IT guys will crap kittens if I installed something on my computer at work and I'm not going to go back and rip all my CD's again but I might consider using another program to rip new CD's if there was really a differance.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Kornphlake said:
Is Windows Media Player that much worse than any of the programs mentioned above? I know there are die hards that insist that winamp or some other player is best, I ripped most of my collection to .wma and copied the files to cd-r's to listen to at work (cheap computer speakers in an office with lots of warehouse noise just outside of the open door,) our IT guys will crap kittens if I installed something on my computer at work and I'm not going to go back and rip all my CD's again but I might consider using another program to rip new CD's if there was really a differance.
I only use WINAMP to listen to my mp3s and CDs, not rip them. I don't like Media Player because of the interface.. a bit clumsy to me. Winamp is just more elegant IMO.