Quantcast

MRP. Is. Fail. Halp?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have an MRP System 3 chainguide.

I also have an MRP lexanplasticwhathaveyou 36T bashguard that I'm going to assume came with the guide (it was on the bike when I bought it). The current bash on the guide is the metal variety, you know, the one that gets hung up on everything. Tonight I went to change the guard to the plastic one. Not enough clearance between the bash and the chainring for the chain to get onto the ring. I tried using washers and even the e.13 long chainring bolts to get it to work without avail, so I broke out the dremel. After a solid hour and a half of dremeling, I've gone through 4 bits and about to give up.

Is there a trick to this? Does MRP really lack an engineer (as shown by their latest shenanigans re: ripping off e.13) that can competently design something? I'm gonna keep dremeling until there's no dremel left to dremel with.

:(

Last edited:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
not to get too basic here but,

the chainring you're using is on the inside of the spider? while the bash is on the outside, correct?
if that with spacers still isn't enough room. something is seriously wrong with your crank spider spacing.

any chance we could get some pictures of the clearance with chain? and without?

something just seems wrong with the setup here.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, if the spider is between your bashring and your chainring, there should be an ideal amount of space. If not like DHS said, something is very wrong, and it's not with the bashring or the chainring.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Third here for whats already been said, your chain ring should be in the middle position, and the bashie on the outer position. If you need a little more clearance between the bashie and ring, a couple small chain ring spacers should suffice, there should be no need for dremeling anything to make this work, if so, something is very wrong.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Everything is in its proper place, bash/spider/chainring. There just isn't enough goddamned room. Do these bashguards require special chainring bolts?

Keep in mind with the metal bash everything is fine.

Cranks are Truvativ Holzfeller Howitzers, btw...taking a pictar now.

Last edited:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Everything is in its proper place, bash/spider/chainring. There just isn't enough goddamned room. Do these bashguards require special chainring bolts?

Cranks are Truvativ Holzfeller Howitzers, btw...taking a pictar now.
Now I'm a bit confused. Is the chain ring to close to the bashring or to close to the inside of the guide?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
oops, accidentally turned on the watermark in lightroom. pay no attention to that.

In the ones with the chain on, that's about as far as it will go. And yes, straight.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
For the nice young man that called me:

Do they make spacers that can fit over the female chainring bolt thingies? Those would probably work if they were thick enough and I could get it between the spider and the bash. The washers from my e.13 bolts don't have a big enough I.D. Maybe a common hardware store would have something...

Still sh!tty engineering.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Correct me if I am wrong but, is your bash guard infront of mountain bracket thing closest to the crank arm? It looks like your bolting them together. It should be spaced evenly if you mount the bash guard closer to the crank and the chainring closer to the frame so you have a nice even space between the two.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Correct me if I am wrong but, is your bash guard infront of mountain bracket thing closest to the crank arm? It looks like your bolting them together. It should be spaced evenly if you mount the bash guard closer to the crank and the chainring closer to the frame so you have a nice even space between the two.

Yes you can get spacers for the female piece.
I'll have to track some down tomorrow, then.

*relinquishes powertools*

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It is the correct order. Bashring/Spider/Chainring

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
On an E13 Bashring the face around the bolt holes is flat with the inner face of the bashring. It looks as if on the MRP the inner face of the bashring sits over the crank arm tabs rather than being flush with the mounting faces. How do they expect that to work? Get an E13 bashring.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
On an E13 Bashring the face around the bolt holes is flat with the inner face of the bashring. It looks as if on the MRP the inner face of the bashring sits over the crank arm tabs rather than being flush with the mounting faces. How do they expect that to work? Get an E13 bashring.
Yup, I've got a 38T sitting here next to me.

If anyone has a 32T lexan bash and ring they want to swap for my 38T ring and e.13 bash let me know...

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Seems very wierd MRPs usually go together very well unless its your crank

System 3 bash went on my RF crankset no issues!

better picc

Check out there website! if ya haven't already! Im sure others have mounted that no problems on that crank though!

http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product&item=sys3

Looks to me youre mounting it on the inside of the outer spider arms! the tabs of the bash should be on the outside!

maybe Im wrong its hard to tell in the piccs, but Ive never seen a bash that goes over a ring from MRP!

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maybe Im wrong its hard to tell in the piccs, but Ive never seen a bash that goes over a ring from MRP!
You're wrong, everything is bolted together correctly ring/spider/bash. I may be a hamfist, but I know how to assemble a crankset with a bashguard.

I checked the (absolutely worthless) website before I began dremeling. I'll be sure to switch this out for an e.13 DRS when I find the money, at the very least they can design a hunk of plastic properly.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
You're wrong, everything is bolted together correctly ring/spider/bash. I may be a hamfist, but I know how to assemble a crankset with a bashguard.

I checked the (absolutely worthless) website before I began dremeling. I'll be sure to switch this out for an e.13 DRS when I find the money, at the very least they can design a hunk of plastic properly.

I wasn't suggesting you were anything! Ive seen mechanics make mistakes under time pressure anyways fine,! Leave you to it!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Today I went to the hardware store and found some thicker nylon washers after the metal washers I tried to use were too thin. They did the trick, but I still had to do some cutting to get the chain to fit. The bash now looks like crap from all the dremeling (as well as sitting on the spider funny because of the spacers), but I don't care.

The irony of my fix? I had to use e.13 long chainring bolts to make it all work.

Last edited:

Polhill

Chimp
Feb 8, 2008
That particular bashring came with spacers and long chainring bolts to space the rings apart. They haven't made that one for a couple seasons now, likely because the lexan and the aluminum ring will actually separate from impact. Did you even try to contact MRP? Go to the source and save yourself some frustration next time. They may have even offered you a proper one to install.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That particular bashring came with spacers and long chainring bolts to space the rings apart. They haven't made that one for a couple seasons now, likely because the lexan and the aluminum ring will actually separate from impact. Did you even try to contact MRP? Go to the source and save yourself some frustration next time. They may have even offered you a proper one to install.
Yeh, kept getting a "this call cannot be completed as dialed".

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
my shop carries the spacers that you need. i think i personally have some too. if you're still stuck maybe i can help

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't visit the LBS anymore. For the most part, I can do everything and order everything they can (be it mailorder or through wholesalers), but better and cheaper.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Even your mail order should be able to get your chain ring spacers pretty easily. I wouldnt even try to look them up, just call it in, tell them how many, and how thick you need. No need to try to make something, they really are easy to find, Hell if all else fails, let me know how many, and how thick I will grab some this wekend