Quantcast

MS eula gets even more restrictive.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just grabbed this off of mac rumours:

"As first noted in a HardMac forum post, it appears Microsoft is specifying in its license agreements that the ability to operate in a virtualized environment is prohibited in Home Basic and Home Premium editions, leaving users to have to purchase either the Business or the Ultimate versions of the software to legally run in a virtualized environment.

Mac users have found virtualization solutions such as Parallels Desktop a good way to switch between Mac OS X and Windows. This latest news from Microsoft may inhibit some use of the software as Business and Ultimate editions range from $300-400 verses Home Basic's $200 price point "

Wow, what sort of nonsense is this? MS loses nothing (besides POSSIBLY customers after they get a side by side comparison between the 2 operating systems) by having this run on mac hardware. In fact, they may sell more obscenely expensive retail cost versions of windows as many developers are more than happy at being able to run both to test.

I wonder if they can actually restrict this, or if it is just an EULA agreement everyone will ignore.

The real question is whether this is just really badly written license agreement text (ie: can't use it on a machine as a main install as well as under virtualization or just under virtualization).

Actual EULA copy:

4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Heard this a while ago.

My guess is the hubub about the Microsoft EULA will be for naught and the EULA will be, in its typical fashion, a lot of posturing and not much follow through.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I would hope that that would be the case. It is probably just some legalese, and not much of a technical solution. Complete BS in my opinion.

It could lead to issues with corporations who get audited however, as they will have to buy retail copies of the expensive versions of windows in order to run both.

OE copies won't be allowed, as MS has already ordered a few mac resellers to cease and desist sales of windows already installed as a dual boot (fully legit oe lincense sales).