Quantcast

Mt Wilson Ride? (Rabie, clean your PMs)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm maybe going to be in LA this coming weekend, and will definitely be in LA the following weekend (13th-14th), and I want to ride Wilson. (probably shuttle, but I *might* try to XC it on the new XC bike if any other slow people are into trying it.)

Anyone in? Rabie? (Pm'd you about the brake and the ride, but your inbox is full).

MD

R

Rabie

MikeD said:
I'm maybe going to be in LA this coming weekend, and will definitely be in LA the following weekend (13th-14th), and I want to ride Wilson. (probably shuttle, but I *might* try to XC it on the new XC bike if any other slow people are into trying it.)

Anyone in? Rabie? (Pm'd you about the brake and the ride, but your inbox is full).

MD
I'd like to say yes, but I am off the bike for a while. Again. Orven was saying he wants to ride Wilson sometime, though, so check with him. And Donnie has your brake, so you can call him and work that out.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's OK...you can still ride the Internet!

Dude, you've got the highest ride-to-break ratio, both gear and body, of anyone I know! Or did you just hit someone in the face this time?

Seriously a bummer to hear, man. Anyhow, will they warranty it? (How has your job's health insurance not kicked in yet? I thought that was a benefit of teaching...)

MD

R

Rabie

MikeD said:
It's OK...you can still ride the Internet!

Dude, you've got the highest ride-to-break ratio, both gear and body, of anyone I know! Or did you just hit someone in the face this time?

Seriously a bummer to hear, man. Anyhow, will they warranty it? (How has your job's health insurance not kicked in yet? I thought that was a benefit of teaching...)

MD
The job is only part time, so I don't get benefits. And I haven't officially started yet anyway. I have some connections to keep the costs down, so it's not going to ruin me or anything, but it's still not something I want to deal with.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Damn...sucks to hear Rabie...

I'd be up to ride but I'm going to Sacramento to test for their department...then on Sunday I leave for Denver to test out there.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As in, "I'm going to brake your face if my bike can't stop..."

Looks like no LA this weekend, so I'm set on the 13th-14th. I have an interview most of the day on Friday, will try to stay in Hollywood with a buddy that night, and want to ride on Sat.

MD

Edit: Paul, FBI is off the list right now...applying with Secret Service and Diplomatic Security service (top choice, and what my interview on the 13th is for.)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Diplomatic Security Service?...what is that body guarding? You got some super secret ninja skills you haven't been telling us about?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Diplomatic Security is kinda like the Secret Service in that it has a protective aspect, for both the embassies (in conjunction with the Marine security guards, I'm sure, but more focused on the security of information, not the facility itself) and diplomats (bodyguard/personal security type stuff) and an investigative aspect (focused on crimes relating to passport fraud, information leaks, and the like). It's a state department agency, unlike the rest of the justice dept/treasury/homeland security investigative positions.

But unlike the secret service, it's 80% living/working abroad, so it's right up my alley. Plus, they pay for your housing while you're living abroad, which helps supplement these pretty meager federal salaries. Not much less than I make now, and actually more after a few years, but unlike the military, they don't pay a housing allowance, which in SoCal, is quite a lot. Still, altogether, the federal pay sucks, so I'm sure not getting into it for the money, I'll tell ya. (Although the security skills are in rising demand in the private sector, so there may be some money in it down the line.)

MD

IMALLSLO

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Alhambra,Ca
To bad you'll be around the weekend of 12 hour. I would have joined ya. This is my local weekend shuttle and I would be doing this one anyway. If you come around again drop me a PM.