Quantcast

mtb overnight camping trails?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd like to load up and ride into the mountains.

Do any of y'all know a mtb trail that can be camped near a decent size water source?

I'll take any and all suggestions, but ideally, one would need to ride at least 10 miles from any road to get to such a 'campsite'.

TIA!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I would say that sections of the Colorado Trail could be ridden and camped, starting from past Pine Junction or so. There may also be some good riding up near Twins Lakes that would have a good water source, and probably tons of stuff near Fraser/Winter Park.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Kenosha Pass on 285. I camped on the left hand side of 285. Trails on the other side of 285.

Edit: There is camping on both sides. I have only camped on the east side of 285.

Pretty in the fall.

I have also camped at hotels/ bed&breakfasts in Aspen.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I figured out what I want... I think I'm looking for a hiking trail that allows camping deep into them that also allows bikes that isn't too technical for a loaded rig. :)

Full Trucker said:
I would say that sections of the Colorado Trail could be ridden and camped, starting from past Pine Junction or so. There may also be some good riding up near Twins Lakes that would have a good water source, and probably tons of stuff near Fraser/Winter Park.
Good start! I think the CT can be and is allowed to be ridden for most if not all and lots of people hike that.

Pau11y said:
LO, might I suggest a sag wagon? Bring along a chic who doesn't ride, but likes to go camping ;)
Dude, I scored bro! I found a woman who rides dirt and pavement. She did her first century in Santa Fe a couple weekends ago. She likes hiking too, but I have a bad knee. She's cute and assertive. Assertive enough that if I asked her to drive a sag wagon, she'd kick me in my bad knee. She's also girly and wants me to go with her to the theater. Some opera with a ghost or phantom menance. :D I hope they have light sabers.

stevew said:
Kenosha Pass on 285. I camped on the left hand side of 285. Trails on the other side of 285.

Edit: There is camping on both sides. I have only camped on the east side of 285.
Can you camp on Kenosha Pass trail? I haven't done that yet, so not familiar.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
LordOpie said:
<snip>

Good start! I think the CT can be and is allowed to be ridden for most if not all and lots of people hike that.
Yup. All but the "Wilderness" sections can be ridden & camped. There isn't a single part of that trail that is 10 miles from a road, though. There would be precious few parts of that trail, though, that would be "sag-able" with a loaded rig.
<snip>Can you camp on Kenosha Pass trail? I haven't done that yet, so not familiar.
You can camp anywhere if it's National Forest and there aren't explicit restrictions on camping.

-S.S.-

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:
Can you camp on Kenosha Pass trail? I haven't done that yet, so not familiar.
You can certainly camp it, and there is CERTAINLY trails that are 10+ miles from roads. Start at Kenosha Pass campground and head west towards Breck, up and over Georgia Pass = you being stoked.

The only reason I didn't mention this was the inavailablitity of a water source. You'd have to pack all your water as well as gear and stuff in. Nice thing about water though - it ALWAYS weighs less coming out than going in.

:thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Full Trucker said:
You can certainly camp it, and there is CERTAINLY trails that are 10+ miles from roads. Start at Kenosha Pass campground and head west towards Breck, up and over Georgia Pass = you being stoked.
That'd be a pretty harsh route with a bike loaded with gear. I'd recommend doing a camping gear "drop" at one of the road crossings and not trying to ride the whole thing with gear.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Full Trucker said:
I just came across this in the MudHunnies forum, and it looks like the coolest thing EVER. It ain't gonna happen for me this summer, but maybe next summer I could get after it...

http://www.sanjuanhuts.com/
Yeah! That would be the way to do the bike camping thing. :thumb:

We've been contemplating a big ride down in that neck of the woods. Molas Pass to Durango..... 72 miles....... 10K feet of climbing. :eek:

-S.S.-