Quantcast

mtn biking, pregnancy

Cajonezzz

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
oceanside ca
Hi all. My wife just gave me the news yesterday that we're expecting (our first).

we ride crosscountry, local trails a couple times a week. She's thinking Mtn biking should take the back burner while she's pregnant.

I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience and or advice.

Thanks! craig

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I can give you no assistance on your question...for obvious reasons ;) but I just wanted to say congrats on expecting a little Cajonezzz! :) :-)think: wait that didn't sound right. lol )

Rhino

PS- I would talk to the Doc when you go in. I am sure every woman is different.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Well, if she's been riding frequently already and its not tiring her out, then I'm sure it would be ok. If she has a tendency to fall quite a bit and hasn't really been riding that much, then she's got the right idea in holding back. I would never forgive myself if I had a fall that would have made me lose my baby.

I played basketball and soccer up until I was almost 6 months pregnant with my first three and then my center of balance was so off, I couldn't even play. With my fourth, I had been mtn biking fairly regularly, but had only started that year so by the time I was about 12-15 weeks along, I decided not to take any chances and stopped riding. That lasted almost a year only b/c I was so exhausted from dealing with a newborn that I had no energy to ride. 45 min. of riding would totally knock me out. Of course, everyone is different and women tend to bounce back much faster with their first babies than with their 3rd or 4th.

Best bet though, is to check with her OB. He/she will probably recommend another form of exercise like swimming or walking or whatever it was that she was doing before.

Cajonezzz

Chimp
Mar 8, 2003
oceanside ca
wow. 4 children....you're a hero.
I think I'm gonna get the tandem (it's a mtn tandem) dusted off and set up for the road with some nice fat n cushy slicks. I think playing it safe is probably best as she has been known to take a digger or two in the last year. She's only been riding for about a year and a half.
thanks so much for the replies. !
craig

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Ha, I'm such a dork! I forgot to say "Congratulations"!!! and I'm sure you'll have many happy years to come! :) When is your wife due? The last couple of weeks are the hardest b/c its like waiting for Christmas but wayyyyyyy better :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I haven't had experience with the whole baby process yet, but it's been on my mind (and the hubby's mind) for a little while now. I would definately check with her OB and go with it.

The tandem idea rocks too!!! :thumb: Way to support the wifey during the difficult 9 months ahead :D

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Cajonezzz said:
I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience and or advice.
Hey. My wife is due 2 months from today with our first.....so congrats & welcome to the club.

My wife is super active - a runner & cyclist & gym rat.
She limited her mountain biking to easier trails (fireroads, mostly) after we found out that she was expecting. She also decreased her running a bit. To compensate, she really increased her road cycling and was cruising away at that until about the 6th month, when the stomach started to interfere with comfortable on-bike position. She still tools around on her townie bike though.

Since she's reduced the road riding, she's added a recumbent exercise bike at the gym. She's also been doing lots of eliptical stuff.

I guess that as the pregnancy reaches fruition, the added weight up front can throw ballance off, so that's something to be aware of. We have also read that as the joints relax in anticipation of the big squeeze, so you can be a little more prone to injury. Also, with electrolytes being harder to manage (calcium is being gobbled by the kid) cramps can be an issue. She'll need to stay hydrated.

My wife also just told me that the best thing she's been doing through all of it is yoga - the breathing & stretching seem to help her with bearing the extra weight.

So that's our experience. I suppose that your wife's body will tell her when she's pushing too hard.

Have fun, and enjoy sleeping while you can.