Quantcast

MtnbikeMike

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I just ordered an SL3.

Who do race for? And out of what state? You coming into TX for the TX Tough Grand Prix? Just saw that Ivan Basso is racing. As well as quite a few AeroCat riders.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Where is it for sale?

You interested? I can give you the run down

Up for grabs is a Aerocat R505 Team Edition. Full carbon frame and fork. Frame is what they call a 58cm. ST is 58cm to top of collar. TT is 56cm. Bike is under 16 pounds as built.
Frame : full carbon
wheels: Bontrager XXX Carbon Clinchers
cranks: SRAM red
shifters: SRAM red
rear der: SRAM force
cassette: SRAM red
brakes : Bontrager Speed Limits( not pictured)
bars: 3T Team Ergosum 44
stem: Thomson x2 110
seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece(not pictured)
bottle cages: Zipp ( not pictured)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Yep. Love the DeSalvo.

That SL3 is a damn rocket. Snatched one up as soon as they were available. Now they're gone (color scheme I wanted).

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Sorry to derail, but I'll copy and paste the race report from the first few races that I sent to my team, then give you cliff notes for the rest. :D

Day 1: Shorewood criterium
The course was a rectangular, but with a tight chicane betweens turns 3 and 4, and very rough pavement coming into turn 2. Preriding the course, the corners seemed wide open for the most part, but once the 135 riders started riding it in a pack, riders were hard on their brakes if they were behind the top 10. I was able to slowly claw my way up to the front of the pack where James was, covering a few moves. I covered a couple, including one that went when they called out a $75 prime. I followed a few wheels, and was able to win it on the line. It took a fairly big effort, and I fell a ways back into the field as I recovered. In the closing laps, I made it back to the front, hoping to be able to lead out James, but he missed me, I fell back in the ensuing bar-jockeying, and I rolled across the line in 22nd. James took 11th.

Day 2: Theinsville criterium
The weather forecast called for thundershowers, and they didn’t disappoint. The race was close enough to our host house that we rode to the start. The course had 4-corners with some tight bends, including a painted brick crosswalk which caused multiple crashes on the rain-slicked course. The race start was delayed while they waited for the lightning to cease, but the rain continued to come down. The team got a poor starting position because it was based on the order of our bib numbers, which were all in the 120’s. The wetness of the course amplified the accordion-effect in the corners, which meant it was full brakes into the corner, and sprint out of it to the next corner, where you grabbed another handful of brake. The effort this required took its toll on the field, causing gaps to open and the field to split a few times, but fortunately it came back together. After what seemed like forever, I made it to the front and found James, who I followed around while he kept me no further back than 15th or so. With 3 laps to go, James had me on the outside through turn 2 when the group inside of us hooked out and took out James’ front wheel, sending him to the ground. I hit the brakes and was able to go outside of him, albeit through the grass in someone’s front yard (thankfully there was no curb). I lost quite a few places in the field, but fought hard in the remaining laps to get near the front, only to have some guys a few wheels ahead sit up, taking me out of contention to sprint with the main group. I finished 24th.

Day 3: Giro di Grafton
Grafton was another race close to our housing accommodations, so we rode to that race as well. The race also happened to be part of the USA Crits Series, which meant big a big purse: $9000 to the top 30 to be exact. The race started out hard, with attacks one after another. The wide-open, 6-turn course was fast, but easy to move around in the group. I was able to get to the front, hooked up with James and rode with him for a few laps. They called out a $100 prime and we decided to go for it. James got me right to the front, past some of the other riders who had attacked in hopes of going home with $100, and I was able to take it with relative ease (thought I still had to sprint, it wasn’t a cakewalk). After recovering in the group once again, I made it back to the front to follow James to set me up for the finishing sprint. Unfortunately I lost James’ wheel in the ensuing madness, but was still near the front coming into the sprint. On the finishing straight, 3 riders hooked bars and went down in front of me. I thought I was experiencing déjà vu from yesterday, and again was able to ride between one of the downed riders and his bike. I lost a lot of momentum, but restarted my sprint and crossed the line 17th. James was a bit up the road in 7th.

Day 4: Appleton Criterium
Appleton was yet another crit, though I was a full 2-hour drive away. The course was a wide-open rectangle, with a few sections where the curbs pinched in. The race was fast once again, though not unbearable when sitting in the pack. Getting to the front was not too difficult either. With James sitting 8th on GC after the Grafton race, we decided to set him up for the sprint should it come down to it. During the race, we attempted to go for a couple of primes, but came away only with feathers. A late-race break got up the road containing 3 riders, and they stayed away to the finish. With a lap to go, and with James on my wheel, I moved James up to the front and tried my best to keep him up there. Unfortunately, my leadout was mistimed and I began to run out of steam right before turn 3, when James had no other option but to go. All things considered, James was able to roll across the line in 9th.

Day 5: Road America Road Race
This was the first road race of the series, a 72-mile circuit race on the approximately 4.04-mile Road America race course, which was a twisty piece of road with a bit over 200 feet of climbing per lap. At the start, the team did a good job of covering moves. Unfortunately, a few laps in, a break went with none of us in it. The break quickly built up a lead and we went to the front to try and bring it back. The gap hovered at about a minute, but was brought down to about 20 seconds with 3 laps to go. The peloton was either tired or just uninterested in racing, so that ended up being the closest we saw of them. The team was nearly cracked from chasing, and no one else took up where we left off. All they seemed to do was attack, look back, and sit up, then look at each other some more, all while the breakaway rode off into the sunset. In the last couple of laps, we went with, and initiated a few small breaks, but the group chased them down and then promptly stopped pedaling. Somewhere in the confusion, a sizable group of riders got away, and it became a fight for 26th place, which we opted not to contest, but instead save our matches for the next day, but not after a total of 3600’ of climbing.

Day 6: Sheboygan Criterium
Day 6 brought us back to crit racing, with another rectangle with 4 left-hand corners, all of which were wide open save for turn 4 with a curb that pinched in at the exit of the turn. The race once again started out hard. The team was doing a good job of trying for breaks, as well as going for primes. In our 4 prime attempts, we got 2nd in all of them. The race, a break went early (about 30 minutes into the 90-minute race). With 4 riders up the road, we were racing for 5th place in the field. In the last few laps, the peloton would surge and then sit up, so getting to the front to lead out James proved difficult with riders spreading out curb to curb making their attempt to get to the front. I was able to move near the front on the last lap, but it was too late to do anything to help James, so I ended up getting a line to sprint to 9th place. James got hooked by another rider in the sprint, but was still able to finish 11th.

From here, there were 4 more crits and one more RR. I'll try to remember as much as possible.

The Waterloo race was a longer circuit through town, which then looped through a park. I snagged 8th there, right behind my teammate James.

The day after that was the Greenbush Road Race. It was 84 miles of an 8-10 mile loop with a couple of false flats, a nice little stair-step climb, a twisty descent and plenty of open road with crosswinds. I got into the winning break, which went off on lap 2. The last time up the climb, the attacks went and I was on the wrong wheels; gaps opened up and by the time I realized they were there, it was too late. I tried to organize a chase, but the group of 4 didn't have the legs to chase down the 6 guys up the road. I ended up winning our group sprint for 7th.

The next day was another 4-corner crit in Fund du Lac. It started out with the same monotonous attack/chase/attach/chase/etc etc. In the closing laps I tried to get James in position for the sprint, but started too far out and couldn't keep him up there. I finished 30-something.

The second to last day was the Downer Classic, a 3-corner course shaped like a right triangle. The racing was beginning to wear on me, so it was survival mode for me. I didn't have legs to do much, other than roll across the line cross-eyed in 17th or so.

The last day in Waukesha was a disappointment. In the opening laps, a large break rolled off when I was still trying to get to the front. Eventually I got to the front and attacked on a small hill after turn 1. Hilton Clarke and the yellow jersey of Stemper bridged up and we started working. We got within 10 seconds of the break, I pulled for a few seconds too long, and when Hilton pulled through I couldn't get back on. Fvck. Rookie move on my part. The two of them made the break, which went on to lap the field. I soft-pedaled for a few laps of shame before the peloton caught me. In the closing laps, UHC was controlling the field, and I went with a couple of guys who jumped. We stayed away, and sprinted for 9th. I got beaten to the line by two of my breakaway companions and was 11th.

Overall on GC I ended up 11th; it would have been nice to break into to top 10, but I came up short.

The end! Ok maybe not. After that, I had 3 weeks to recover before racing Cascade, which apparently was not enough, and I did terrible there. Survived to the last day where I pulled out on lap 2 of 5 in the circuit race.