Quantcast

Multi Sport training while racing XC

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm only 16 and I plan to be an XC pro racer but i'm still only racing cadet. The next 2 years i'll be racing Junoir X. I've been training like crasy all winter and i'm much faster i was doing weights and on a trainer almost everyday and have been following Friels plan. With help from Indieboy;)
I start racing in 2 weeks and have a really busy summer planned. I'm also interrested in trying some triathlon races and road races along with starting running racing later in the fall. I want to start running again now but will this be bad for XC racing or will it help i won't be running alot 1-2x a week the rest beeing on bike. Will this be bad for my futur Pro racing dreams and sort term winning dreams or will it be good in the long run.
I don't see how it can be a bad thing it'll just make me a better well rounded athlete. Right or wrong.?

Is it true that what training i'm doing now won't really make a difference in a few years when i would start racing pro?

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
of the two texts, "supertraining" by mel siff, and "science and Practice of stregth training" by Vladimir Zatriorsky, both say that running is not beneficial as cross training, for many reasons. one is the hip flexors, which are used in very different ways. basically both the books say
"in other words, it is inappropriate to try to simulate sports specific movements with supplementary training activities. NOt only does this not accurately develop the necessary fitness and motor abilities, but it can also alter the neuromuscular programmes which control the motor actions. Rather it is important to focus on developing the specific type of fitness and motor characteristics of the sport." I think that running could work if you were in very bad shape, but i dont think that you are in bad shape. so stick with cycling and other activites that are similar as far as neuromuscular coordination goes.
charlie

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I'm only 16 and I plan to be an XC pro racer but i'm still only racing cadet. The next 2 years i'll be racing Junoir X. I've been training like crasy all winter and i'm much faster i was doing weights and on a trainer almost everyday and have been following Friels plan. With help from Indieboy;)
I start racing in 2 weeks and have a really busy summer planned. I'm also interrested in trying some triathlon races and road races along with starting running racing later in the fall. I want to start running again now but will this be bad for XC racing or will it help i won't be running alot 1-2x a week the rest beeing on bike. Will this be bad for my futur Pro racing dreams and sort term winning dreams or will it be good in the long run.
I don't see how it can be a bad thing it'll just make me a better well rounded athlete. Right or wrong.?

Is it true that what training i'm doing now won't really make a difference in a few years when i would start racing pro?
i wouldn't do running but i would do whatever cycling you can whether it's track, DH, DS, road, cyclocross. whatever you can get in your system while you can.....

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
me again qoting books, but i was doing more reading and this seemed to answer the question well, "for example, muscle endurance gained through supplementary running training does not mean that it will directly improve the performance or a competitive rower or cyclist. special physical prepardeness(spp) depends on developing the necessary physioligical qualities with the same muscles and neuromuscular mechanism that are encountered in the given sport. Therefore, training for special physical preparedeness must be based on a thorough understanding of the different types of specificity discussed in 1.3 and the characteristics of the interaction between teh various organs and neuromuscular system, which determines the change in special work capacity."
i would highly reccommend purchasing Supertraining by Mel Siff, and checking out the other books for sale at elitefts.com, best way to get better is to get smarter

you may want to pitch the question to martin or tom on the q&a portion of the elitefts.com website, they are both olympic or pro level athletes with masters in similar fields, and coach some of the top runners, boxers, and other athletes in the world, probaly give you a really good answer.
charlie t

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Triathletes commonly train 6 days a week - 2 days each for running, swimming and cycling and a day for rest. Cross training is mandatory for multisport but not for single discipline competition.

I cycle, run and paddle but I have no pro asperations - I just do it because I enjoy it. If I did just one thing all the time I am sure I'd become very bored. I like variety.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well it turns out that all the Triathlons are on the same day as big races i already have planned so i geuss tri is not really going to happen. I was planning to do a 10km running race with my school running team just so i could kick their asses:D but that's next wendsday which is during a rest week and i know i'll be so sore after. But when i finish racing in October i'll be going into base training soon after so i think I'll start doing running races and stuff like that than take a break in December than get back into Base training. I think next winter i'll do more cross training cause going on a trainer for 4 months wasn't that great mentally. It makes you not like biking as much.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Serial Midget
you should do it just to see where you are at... 10K are not difficult and recovery is pretty fast. :)

Ya ok it's just that when you don't run normally and all you do is bike it hurts after. I'll do it anyways. I think once racing is over for this year i'll start training to do a marthon somewere warm during the winter it would be great Base training.

This spring i went running for the first time i did 15km in 1 hour that was a steady pace which i could of doubled but my legs were hurting cause that was the first time running in months but if i actually trained a little I could do a marathon for sure.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ya ok it's just that when you don't run normally and all you do is bike it hurts after. I'll do it anyways. I think once racing is over for this year i'll start training to do a marthon somewere warm during the winter it would be great Base training.

This spring i went running for the first time i did 15km in 1 hour that was a steady pace which i could of doubled but my legs were hurting cause that was the first time running in months but if i actually trained a little I could do a marathon for sure.
Thats a 38 or 39 minute 10K pace... pretty good for soemone who does not run. You'll probably place easy enough. :thumb:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Thats a 38 or 39 minute 10K pace... pretty good for soemone who does not run. You'll probably place easy enough. :thumb:
I don't think i'll do this race anymore cause i have to peak and win a race on the 17th of May because it will put me on the Quebec Team which would be awsome. I don't want to risk injuring myself from running just before.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't think i'll do this race anymore cause i have to peak and win a race on the 17th of May because it will put me on the Quebec Team which would be awsome. I don't want to risk injuring myself from running just before.
:think: :think: :think: Sounds like an excuse to me... :D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Topaz
What about running up steel hills?
or the Niobium hills of Tangezetine?

Stay away from running until the end of your season (you'll get real sore).
But do as much different stuff as you can in the off-season.
Beleive me when i tell you from experience, the guys who are pro now were doing a million different things at the age of 16 and for the most part were NOT standout junior racers.
The intensity of elite level MTB racing is a great way to burn out the stars of tomrrow

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout

Beleive me when i tell you from experience, the guys who are pro now were doing a million different things at the age of 16 and for the most part were NOT standout junior racers.
The intensity of elite level MTB racing is a great way to burn out the stars of tomrrow
lol we know a LOT of those don't we. lol does anyone know how much weight matt kelly has gained since he quit? :confused:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout

Well roland and Hesjedal were both canadian Junior Champs so ha.;) But ya i think next winter i'll be doing almost just cross training for Base stuff.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well roland and Hesjedal were both canadian Junior Champs so ha.;) But ya i think next winter i'll be doing almost just cross training for Base stuff.
that's 2 of many, many, many juniors still a pretty low probability buddy :)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Our man Lance was quite the triathlete in his younger years. Do the 10K... you'll smoke the field with a sub 38. :cool:
Oh well umm it's to late it's tomorrow and i never got around to signing up. But when school starts again after the summer the running thing is much bigger and i'll be finishing racing soon after.

I'm still deciding about tri