Quantcast

*Mundane GMT*

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Words of wisdom: Don't crash.

Heal fast, man.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I'll consider it.

Should be a normal person again in 3 weeks and back on the bike/in the gym for light duty in 6 weeks. Could have been worse.

Puncture wound? Also, your enthusiasm reminds me of this guy
I think I built up too much bad karma from talking shit on killer carbon barz. My alu bars punctured/ripped me pretty good just above and to the right of my JimmyDean. It was pretty terrifying to have a large hole that close to my important bits (the gf was worried). Good thing my junk is a small target :rimshot:

Had to get CAT scanned to make sure I didn't mess up any of my insides and then wait for a few hours for the surgeon to show up. The ER dock said, "I could sew you up and put a drain in, or we can wait for a surgeon" I don't know exactly what that means but he didn't sound too confident so I waited for the surgeon.

As for the enthusiasm. That was after I found out my insides weren't torn up and got put back together so I was pretty stoked. Also it was my first experience with IV drugs but that probably didn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Should be a normal person again in 3 weeks and back on the bike/in the gym for light duty in 6 weeks. Could have been worse.

I think I built up too much bad karma from talking shit on killer carbon barz. My alu bars punctured/ripped me pretty good just above and to the right of my JimmyDean. It was pretty terrifying to have a large hole that close to my important bits (the gf was worried). Good thing my junk is a small target :rimshot:

Had to get CAT scanned to make sure I didn't mess up any of my insides and then wait for a few hours for the surgeon to show up. The ER dock said, "I could sew you up and put a drain in, or we can wait for a surgeon" I don't know exactly what that means but he didn't sound too confident so I waited for the surgeon.

As for the enthusiasm. That was after I found out my insides weren't torn up and got put back together so I was pretty stoked. Also it was my first experience with IV drugs but that probably didn't have anything to do with it.
Did the bar break or just try to take a core sample?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Get a good trail dog. That way when the wife and kids don't take care of it you can make the excuse that you have to take care of the damn thing by going riding.
I've been pretty resistant to getting a dog, but I think we'll manage.

I know a lot of people who think they have good trail dogs, but don't. My main reason for not wanting a dog is that I don't want a BAD dog.

Of course, the onus is on us to not fuck it up. If we manage to channel our collective Caesar Chavez and train him to be good, I'll definitely be taking him for rides. If only just quick ones. We live really close to trails, so he'll get a lot of exposure to the woods.

Now to finish (read: start) those fence gates...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Did the bar break or just try to take a core sample?
Strangely enough neither. Bars are fine, although I might replace them just to be safe, and my shorts/undies are intact. Seems like it ripped the skin but it wasn't an abrasion it just literally tore a hole in me through all the layers of skin. I will definitely be ditching the old grips with metal lock on collars on the outside for a pair with only one lock on collar and a plastic outer end. Not that I think it would have made a difference.

The surgeon told me it must have taken a lot of force to do this and that even though nothing inside was ruptured I'd need to be aware that I could have bruised my colon or intestine similar to a seat belt injury in car accidents. He told me that I'd have to make sure that I was pooping since this can cause inactive bowel. I got hurt on Friday and didn't poop till Sunday. I've never been so happy to take a shit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have some need of a lot of accrued vacation time later this year, so it slightly anchors me here until that time is passed.
Doesn't get paid out if you leave? You should ask HR "for a friend".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I went to Ruby Hill. I did the XS and S lines, slopestyle and jump alike. S was plenty for me!

/that'swhatshesaid

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I went to Ruby Hill. I did the XS and S lines, slopestyle and jump alike. S was plenty for me!

/that'swhatshesaid
The med line for DJ isn't too bad; I found myself brake checking the first one a lot. I just prefer to hip left, so the right turn to the jumps was frustrating.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Doesn't get paid out if you leave? You should ask HR "for a friend".
Nope. We're not in CA and it's not credited as vacation time anymore. It's a nebulous "my time" which covers sick and vacation interchangeably and doesn't get paid out if you don't use it (but you can use it without spending the time to earn it).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Strangely enough neither. Bars are fine, although I might replace them just to be safe, and my shorts/undies are intact. Seems like it ripped the skin but it wasn't an abrasion it just literally tore a hole in me through all the layers of skin. I will definitely be ditching the old grips with metal lock on collars on the outside for a pair with only one lock on collar and a plastic outer end. Not that I think it would have made a difference.

The surgeon told me it must have taken a lot of force to do this and that even though nothing inside was ruptured I'd need to be aware that I could have bruised my colon or intestine similar to a seat belt injury in car accidents. He told me that I'd have to make sure that I was pooping since this can cause inactive bowel. I got hurt on Friday and didn't poop till Sunday. I've never been so happy to take a shit.
I read this as

"I got something stuck up my butt and am using a bike wreck as an excuse"

NTTIAWWT, it's a free country.

At least you didn't get another appendage entangled into some farm equipment again.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I tore a hole in my abdomen in the same spot, right next to my Johnson. OTB on a DH bike and a massive hit to the stem ripped a hole through several layers of tissue. That said, I finished the day of riding on the hill, refusing to look in my bloody shorts, then drove home, showered, discovered the hole, fed the cat and checked myself in a hospital. The ER staff made me test if I can pee, then a nurse stitched me up and home I went. Seeing your own fat is kinda weird, I still have a massive scar there.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I read this as

"I got something stuck up my butt and am using a bike wreck as an excuse"

NTTIAWWT, it's a free country.

At least you didn't get another appendage entangled into some farm equipment again.
Not everyone has the grace and poise to admit that they can't fit as much handle bar up their ass as they though they could.

I tore a hole in my abdomen in the same spot, right next to my Johnson. OTB on a DH bike and a massive hit to the stem ripped a hole through several layers of tissue. That said, I finished the day of riding on the hill, refusing to look in my bloody shorts, then drove home, showered, discovered the hole, fed the cat and checked myself in a hospital. The ER staff made me test if I can pee, then a nurse stitched me up and home I went. Seeing your own fat is kinda weird, I still have a massive scar there.
Stupid bikes. All hard and full of edges. We need to get IMBA to make smooth, safe bikes to go with their trails.

I'll post a picture of the wound for comparison (behind multiple layers of NSFW cause it's nasty) when I get it from the surgeon. I knew it was for sure bad when the ER staff looked at it and started making worried faces.

The whole right groin region is currently swollen to the point of being jiggley and the discoloration is getting kinda gnarly looking. As added insult the base of my dick is now purple.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Swapping in a new rear tyre on the trail bike.
Decided to re-tape the yellow tubeless tape.
Roll ran out three spoke holes to go.
Kill list.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Their espresso, while not great, is decidedly less horrible than their regular coffee.
I've come to the conclusion that management and R&D has decided to use a bean that tastes like crap when unadulterated, but "blends" well with milk. Most likely because they jam shots into all sorts of milk-based conditions.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
come on down. I maybe have enough to go around once.
Thanks. I ordered some, will ride the hardtail for a couple of days. If it looks like it's not turning up before the weekend I might take you up on the offer.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
drinking gose beers for a change of pace. because summer and sharing with wife and stuff. have some stout on backup for later...

stupid ear is still kinda clogged...DAMMIT

Spent most of the day working from home yesterday, in early today to finish up some power point engineering.

I'd be bitter about it all but it will end up with a flexed day off. I'll trade a day working by the window while hanging out with the pup for a day on the trails in lieu of a day working in this dump.
Powerpoint engineering...

moving sllllooowwww...enjoyed watching leogang dh on the tv last night.

left ear has been feeling stopped up for past 2 days for no apparent reason. driving me nuts.

might squeeze in a local ride this evening. would be nice.
Try pulling your nuts out of your ear.