Quantcast

'Murca! You're doin' it all wrong...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha...

Gotta love Porter and his extremely narrow minded views.
Yet again completely missing the point.
Bikes should also be fun to ride Chris. And what makes a bike fun to ride comes down to personal preference.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-interview-chris-porter-2017.html

"Then with really short chainstays, lean back and there's a limit to how far you can go back before the thing loops out. You've got a very small window. A very small envelope within which to move backwards and forwards, and that's simply because the wheels are close together."

For me... that small window is pretty much why I ride all the bikes I do. Yes it takes more skill and concentration... that's half the fun.
If Chris had ridden BMX instead of motorcycles I think he might actually "get" this.

SRSLY Kidz. Could you really trust the words of a man who sets his saddle at this angle?

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm with you on this one. I will always like short chainstays. Might I point the obvious and say short chainstays don't come into play when talking about looping back a modern, long reach bike? Most of the modern bikes are as hard as fuck to manual, since the weight bias towards the front takes a lot of effort to lift the god damn thing from the ground.

In fact the very review PB posted yesterday of the Pole Evo Link stated this, and was posted by one of the main defenders of Porter's line of thought in the press, Paul Aston. He precisely stated manualling the Pole was a hard task because of the front weight bias. Plus he also rides retarded saddle positions :D.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
don't come into play when talking about looping back a modern, long reach bike? to ANY rider who can hold a fucking manual
I'm not a fan of modern looong reach bikes specifcally coz of...
Most of the modern bikes are as hard as fuck to manual, since the weight bias towards the front takes a lot of effort to lift the god damn thing from the ground.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Ha ha...

SRSLY Kidz. Could you really trust the words of a man who sets his saddle at this angle?

maybe if his saddle wasn't forcing all his weight forward he wouldn't need such a long reach.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Most of the modern bikes are as hard as fuck to manual, since the weight bias towards the front takes a lot of effort to lift the god damn thing from the ground.
Usually i'm blasting huge mot-style jumps, hucking off of cliffs, or pinning it down vertical rock chutes on my DH bike, typically not manual-ing around the parking lot like a fairy. So...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Usually i'm blasting huge mot-style jumps, hucking off of cliffs, or pinning it down vertical rock chutes on my DH bike, typically not manual-ing around the parking lot like a fairy. So...
Valid point. However, Porter's point was the DH geometry should be exported to shorter travel bikes. How long of a wheelbase do your Megatrail and your DH bikes have?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

And only someone who doesn't actually move their bike around thinks 'manualing' only applies to sustained slow speed manuals in a parking lot.

Go watch gee atherton's run from pmb 3 years ago (I think it was 3). He was the only person to squash one of those mach stupid table tops in a row, not at mach stupid.......but at mach retarded. Guess which high speed not in a parking lot technique he used.....*jeopardy music*

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ha ha...

Gotta love Porter and his extremely narrow minded views.
Yet again completely missing the point.
Bikes should also be fun to ride Chris. And what makes a bike fun to ride comes down to personal preference.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-interview-chris-porter-2017.html

"Then with really short chainstays, lean back and there's a limit to how far you can go back before the thing loops out. You've got a very small window. A very small envelope within which to move backwards and forwards, and that's simply because the wheels are close together."

For me... that small window is pretty much why I ride the all bikes I do. Yes it takes more skill and concentration... that's half the fun.
If Chris had ridden BMX instead of motorcycles I think he might actually "get" this.

all i'm really getting from this article is that the dude repeats himself a lot. did he have a few too many pints before the interview?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
And only someone who doesn't actually move their bike around thinks 'manualing' only applies to sustained slow speed manuals in a parking lot.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my massive size and strength makes manualling even the longest, heaviest bikest an effortless joy.

Valid point. However, Porter's point was the DH geometry should be exported to shorter travel bikes. How long of a wheelbase do your Megatrail and your DH bikes have?
I think they are around 52-53"? Can't remember off the top of my head. Reach on the MT is 20.5", reach on the new GGDH is gonna be 19.5"

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
It's what I've been saying for years - mountain bikes with the wheelbase of a recumbent are faster. Sure, not easy to manual in a parking lot, but a more stable base to move around between the wheels. Like Porter says, even if you have a seizure on the bike, that nice big window between the wheels keep you rolling

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Which is good, because we never have to turn to avoid cliffs.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
literally the first question in the interview

"The first big question: why should people listen to you?

They shouldn't necessarily, should they? That's their own decision, isn't it? "

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
one of the more condescending and arrogant interviews they've ever posted on PB...Wragg couldn't help but try and belittle non-euro trails too

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'd love to see him get a proper tour on some of our "easiest" trails with that shit mobile of his.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I take it he's not a fan of Wheelie Wednesdays

Also....we need to talk about this guys body shape.....

.....is it me or does anyone else see some sort of bizarre man boob/upper gut area smiley face shape thing going on underneath that jersey in the photo? I'm strangely fascinated by this....

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
just noticed the way forward roll on his bars as well.
saddle pushing all his weight forward, long reach, shorty stem, bars rolled past the stem neutral point. profit...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
totally want to try a geometron. seems we've been timidly inching towards this geometry for years; perhaps it's the logical conclusion? or not. curious regardless. i actually like this guy. he's got conviction, and has some compelling ideas.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know what everyone is complaining about, I looked at the pictures in this review and give it a solid 4/10.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
@Udi I may adopt your technique so I don't have to read stupid shit like this:
"They don't have that sort of interesting and illegal trail network that we've got."

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I take it he's not a fan of Wheelie Wednesdays

Also....we need to talk about this guys body shape.....

.....is it me or does anyone else see some sort of bizarre man boob/upper gut area smiley face shape thing going on underneath that jersey in the photo? I'm strangely fascinated by this....
So that's where Kuato went!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Not sure what to think about all this. I guess I'm glad someone is thinking about progressing and testing things.

But you know, I have 2 bikes from 2 different geomebro generations. Old school and new school. And you know what? I enjoy them both immensely. It's like having two kids (or dogs:). They are different, but you love them both equally....usually ;)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I don't get this forum.

New standards? Booooo, burn the heretical new standards

Old bikes? Better come up with 50 different ways to make my fork/wheels/brakes better by cobbling together different parts, a dreamer and some zip ties

New bikes (which actively try not to include new standards)? boooooo, why change what isn't broken (even though every other post is about broken parts and how to get better performance)

The interview being discussed has Chris Porter against 29" wheels, against pointless new standards, against fancy carbon parts for the sake of it... but people still think he's the devil because he wants longer bikes. A bike which he essentially designed for himself - and now has a following.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The only problem I see is them sending out bikes to guys that are under 6' tall to review and they are basically for people that over 6' 4". At least get them in the ballpark. I inquired about one a little while back I am 6' 1" with shoes on so 6' even and they suggested the second from largest. No way I am riding that I think the middle sized one would fit the best....and I still plan on getting one down the road. the 29' version BTW.