Quantcast

'Murca! You're doin' it all wrong...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
The interview being discussed has Chris Porter against 29" wheels, against pointless new standards, against fancy carbon parts for the sake of it... but people still think he's the devil because he wants longer bikes. A bike which he essentially designed for himself - and now has a following.
The issue is that he comes off as a condescending prick. And is relatively easy to make fun of for his silly saddle angle and ludicrous bike.

He doesn't come across as someone who says "different strokes for different folks, I like this, don't care what others think as long as they're having fun". He bashes North America for it's "lame trails" that don't warrant a bike like his monstrosity, basically implying that the rest of the world is wrong.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't get this forum.

New standards? Booooo, burn the heretical new standards

Old bikes? Better come up with 50 different ways to make my fork/wheels/brakes better by cobbling together different parts, a dreamer and some zip ties

New bikes (which actively try not to include new standards)? boooooo, why change what isn't broken (even though every other post is about broken parts and how to get better performance)

The interview being discussed has Chris Porter against 29" wheels, against pointless new standards, against fancy carbon parts for the sake of it... but people still think he's the devil because he wants longer bikes. A bike which he essentially designed for himself - and now has a following.
like zhendo said, he comes across as harsh and abrasive in the interview.

but again, it's a bit more refreshing than the standard industry interview sprinkled with acronyms and marketing BS

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
New XXL sized GeoMetron out for a test run with ChrisP...
Wheelbase is almost 1400mm at 1395mm!
Has he finally gone too long?
He says ‘Yes, it may be time for a longer truck...’

1395mm WB just for KIDWOO

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
like zhendo said, he comes across as harsh and abrasive in the interview.

but again, it's a bit more refreshing than the standard industry interview sprinkled with acronyms and marketing BS
As with any British man who spends too much time on his own and has a niche hobby, obviously he's an odd, abrasive man.

That's like taking issue with water being wet.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
@trib CP criticising the trails in Amurica did apparently not help his popularity here...
That guy can go fuck off for all I care. His tiny country is about as big as couple of states in the US so I'm sure he has a real grip on how trails are here.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
did you somehow manage to miss where he said EVERY SINGLE mountainbike EXCEPT his doesn't turn properly?
Or where he said the only good handling bikes are DH bikes?
Where he says all XC racers are wrong for shifting their weight forward on their saddles while climbing while weighting the nose of the saddle to maintain grip (a fundamental and basic skill)?
Where he says all of us are riding our bikes in the wrong position (because HE finds it uncomfortable)?
or the multiple times he said HIS bike was flat out Better?

Ever seen Chris porter ride?
He's not slow and he is an experienced rider. But nothing about his riding style is inspiring as he's spent his entire bike riding experience using and searching for the next greatest leaps in technology to help him out instead of actually gaining skills. Put the guy on a hardtail, take him to a skate park or dirt jumps and you'd see straight away he really isn't someone you'd want to listen to when talking about actual bicycle handling skills.
And let's face it. Riding a bike a few sizes too big is hardly cutting edge is it? As kids in the 70s and 80s we were all bought shitty too big for us bikes as our Dads wanted us to grow into them in the hope they'd not to have to buy us another one for years to come.

I've no problem at all that he's building longer and longer bikes to help him with his disabilities. But to tell everyone else they're WRONG?
Sorry. Mate. yer (intentionally) coming across as a cock! (Yet again).
He's actually a nice guy I may add.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
@trib CP criticising the trails in Amurica did apparently not help his popularity here...
I'm glad that the east and west coast could come together and put aside their differences to see off the old enemy.

Maybe he's aiming at an incredibly niche market of 6ft+ Xenophobic English men who'll appreciate his views on American trails?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
did you somehow manage to miss where he said EVERY SINGLE mountainbike EXCEPT his doesn't turn properly?
Or where he said the only good handling bikes are DH bikes?
Where he says all XC racers are wrong for shifting their weight forward on their saddles while climbing while weighting the nose of the saddle to maintain grip (a fundamental and basic skill)?
Where he says all of us are riding our bikes in the wrong position (because HE finds it uncomfortable)?
or the multiple times he said HIS bike was flat out Better?

Ever seen Chris porter ride?
He's not slow and he is an experienced rider. But nothing about his riding style is inspiring as he's spent his entire bike riding experience using and searching for the next greatest leaps in technology to help him out instead of actually gaining skills. Put the guy on a hardtail, take him to a skate park or dirt jumps and you'd see straight away he really isn't someone you'd want to listen to when talking about actual bicycle handling skills.
And let's face it. Riding a bike a few sizes too big is hardly cutting edge is it? As kids in the 70s and 80s we were all bought shitty too big for us bikes as our Dads wanted us to grow into them in the hope they'd not to have to buy us another one for years to come.

I've no problem at all that he's building longer and longer bikes to help him with his disabilities. But to tell everyone else they're WRONG?
Sorry. Mate. yer (intentionally) coming across as a cock! (Yet again).
He's actually a nice guy I may add.
I think we actually agree, I was just stating that he clearly says it's HIS opinion on what HE likes and therefore I didnt get irked by the rest of his babble.

I'd also love to refute your statement that I'm a cock, but, you're probably right.

As much as I like progression I think we'd all secretly be happier if we were still skidding down fire roads on rigid klunkers.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was saying Porter was coming across as a cock. Not you @trib (but I'll happily call you a cock all day if that's your thing. :P

#SkidznWheelies4LYFYO

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
The statement made regarding what'd be simply drawn upon as self imposed SoCal vs NoCal riding in BMX heyday is not really that big a deal. Maintained by media publications for their own personal agenda and, Chris Porter's moving focus from open trails to the root bed of distant network of trails recalls this comparison; apparently he finds being outdoors a compromise. But seriously, the tone of his answers is that of someone who sees what is wrong to a fault - the failure material defines a human element and also defines the confidence nourished by many devotees of all types and sizes.

Carbon Fibre as a problem is nonsense; more self-styled minutia of an entire subject in order to extract validation. Carbon Cranksets exist because riders like cranksets and, they are what used to top off a choice build.
An average rider is forced to contend with wheel failure from the over saturated application of the material, yet the subject shifts to tires. Again, the extrapolation of an open ended, self imposed compartment on what gets newly branded as 'singletrack inline' vehicles yet he picks a fight with Frames and, tucks his chin.

My guess is he's being made the next money-man of the moment, which in and of itself says very little currently. His bikes are ghastly and the changeout to larger handlebar on 75% of today's builds tames the fast twitch tendencies that so dominate what really needs to be taken more-lightly.

Curious his grasp upon Climate Change and, farting Cattle.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So are we angry at him because he behaves like an average ridemonkey user ?
Not Angry. I tend to find every interview he ever does highly amusing.This one is no different in that respect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
An odious trio of bothersome, abrasive windbags if you ever did see one.
welcome to ridemonkey!

i didn't think the article was all that abrasive. just not my cuppa. gotta go up and go down, and my downs are pretty short compared to the ups. different strokes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Personally, I have a hard time believing him. But on the other hand, I'd like to test out his bikes on my local terrain to see how they feel. But that's not going to happen, so I've just wasted time reading and responding in this thread. Just what the :monkey: ordered!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Gotta love Porter and his extremely narrow minded views.
Bikes should also be fun to ride Chris. And what makes a bike fun to ride comes down to personal preference.
Isn't this kinda what you do though?
You ride bikes that are probably too small for you by most people's current standards - and you often make comments about how the modern standards on bike sizing / length / wheels are stupid. I think I've also seen you trying to push wooden wheels on people and talking about how you once kept up with a sponsored rider using rubber tyres.

Not having a stab - I genuinely enjoy your posts - and I think if you like your setup you should do nothing but rock the hell out of it. Just sensed a bit of pot/kettle.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the article and don't intend to, so maybe he's just being a mega dick compared to your good humoured ludditery, and that's the difference.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I didn't see him as being abrasive at all. He even said at beginning you can listen to me or not. It's pretty much a personal preference thing at some point. I would prefer a longer bike at my 6' height and can only imagine waht someone 6' 4" and above must go through.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Isn't this kinda what you do though?
Depends on how wide your definition of "kinda" is.

Yeah. I ride bikes that are very short by current trends, I also ride 100mm travel bikes with semi slick rear tyres at 40psi and minisculely short chainstays all through the wet, manky slopfest of Scottish winter down steep technical tracks. intentionally sacrificing grip and stability in the search of fun times and the challenges a less than optimum set-up brings.
What I don't do is go around telling ANYONE my set-up is THE BEST. I know fine well it's not. As I just explained, it's optimised for my own enjoyment. What I can tell you are the exact pros and cons of pretty much all choices. A bit like I see your knowledge when it comes to suspension.

Despite the luddite image I've always been open minded enough to actually try new things... when I'm out for a ride I'll pretty much always jump on other riders bikes. I'm kinda ADHD during the constant faff stops mountainbikers like to make and generally prefer to keep riding instead of standing around. even if it's just round in circles, track standing, manualling/wheelying, fucking around etc.
I'm confident enough in myself and my riding preferences to make my own mind up as to whether I want to adopt something new rather than blindly follow the herd.

FWIW I rode plenty L and XL DH bikes years back while still racing and at the races, fucked around adjusting geometry to extremes until I found what I prefered and more importantly worked out why.
I have absolutely no doubt that If I were racing (and taking it seriously) my bike set-ups would be quite different than they are now to be optimised for the clock.

I'm kinda living proof that you don't really need the latest/bestest/on-trendest equipment in order to still ride fast and/or tech descents and more importantly (to me) have fun doing so. Annoys the fuck out of a lot of people... and being 100% honest... I kinda like that too.

Trends/"what we're told we 'should' be riding" change so fast. so fast infact that a certain percentage of riders probably never learn how to use their current set-ups properly before buying into next best thing. I'm fine with that too it's just not really for me. And I'll certainly not be falling into that trap anytime soon.

Not having a stab - I genuinely enjoy your posts - and I think if you like your setup you should do nothing but rock the hell out of it. Just sensed a bit of pot/kettle.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the article and don't intend to, so maybe he's just being a mega dick compared to your good humoured ludditery, and that's the difference.
Probably more a case of the beer (from whatever 5%vol 24 pack was on offer) can calling the pot pretentious TBH.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Gary he is just a bit overconfident but i find it nice he experiments and has a different view that has at least some logic to it (compared to typical industry bs). He might have gone too far but I haven't tried his bikes so i don't know.

I'd rather have more people like him than more "s shaped wheelpath" people. Same as you, you both explore ideas that seem interesing (jesus I sound like a mix of a pr statement and a new age joga teacher). I used to be all over newest gear but pointless development over stuff that you don't notice (and so does the clock), going to strange places to ride of bad, beaten up rent bikes and being poor now has kinda brought me closer to your viewpoint. Still I can use his ideas even if I buy a used bike.

Also I think part of his confidence comes from the fact that for a very long time most of the riders and industry has propagated idiotic ideas of what a good bike is. I also state my bike ideas more firmly after I've been laughed at for riding a wide bar, a flat bar on a tall fork and tall headtube bike, a high rise bar on a short headtube and fork bike, for not riding fullly open suspension, for using harder susp settings etc etc. The consensus is usually wrong in the industry so it is easy to think like you're the only one with half a brain, even if that's not true.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
May I join the flower throwing gig? You know what drove to the Monkey in the first place? The great mix of seasoned riders and industry insiders. People who would not just be able to weight a bike or a component, but also to communicate their views.

I might not always agree with the opinions I find here, but those thoughts do always get my mind driven in ways I might not venture on my own.

Getting to actually transmit a given sensation about how a bike rides to people on the other end of the world, and more importantly, getting that people to grasp what you have just written, is what truly amazes me about this (cyber) place. This isn't a product of mere chance, but a non-written code of conduct which has been built with time and consent.

A toast to the :monkey:, and again, thanks so much for teaching me anything between pure English and advanced suspension dynamics.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have absolutely no doubt that If I were racing (and taking it seriously) my bike set-ups would be quite different than they are now to be optimised for the clock.

I'm kinda living proof that you don't really need the latest/bestest/on-trendest equipment in order to still ride fast and/or tech descents and more importantly (to me) have fun doing so. Annoys the fuck out of a lot of people... and being 100% honest... I kinda like that too.
Yeah I was just stirring the pot to be honest, but I agree with you.

I also think that some changes that make bikes faster at WC events (under an actual WC level rider) can easily be slower under the average rider on their average track, completely ignoring the "fun" thing, which I hope more people start to realise now that the changes are getting a lot more aggressive.

With that said, I've noticed some modern changes did make riding more fun for me, particularly 650b (mostly up front) since it cut down on a lot of bump transfer and made motoring through rough sections more enjoyable with less physical pain, especially during long periods of riding (eg. month of chairlifts).

I think it's also good to be objective and try the new stuff though (something I've definitely been guilty of not doing in the past), and the other thing worth noting is that some of the guys riding are absolutely huge and some of the new changes probably make riding faster AND more fun for them even though the same might not apply to you or I.

I also don't take the word of a guy who designed a damper with a compression and rebound adjuster in one too seriously, but maybe with Porter being very big himself (from memory), he's just forgotten that people do come in very different shapes and ride very different tracks.
Horses for courses.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Want to clear a couple of things up.
He's a taller rider. but by no means freakishly so. Not by any stretch of the imagination. 6'2" maybe.
Steve Jone. The guy who insists on boring us to death harping on about every bike he tests needing to be an XL seems to think he's the same height as Chris. Steve is right around 6' and a little shorter than Chris.
Both of these guys are fast for their age. neither even register on the steeze-ometer tho. Ever!

The other point. @kidwoo kinda touched on a little while poking fun at the Geometronan'onan'on. Porter despite being the self heralded mesiah of ultimate stability as far as I know has never been forward thinking enough to push BB height boundaries in his search for the holy grail. kinda weird. eh?
Well... not really if you think about it. Not in a world where you believe Equipment > Skillz
Plus. learning to time pedal stokes is hard :'(

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I also don't take the word of a guy who designed a damper with a compression and rebound adjuster in one too seriously, but maybe with Porter being very big himself (from memory), he's just forgotten that people do come in very different shapes and ride very different tracks.
Horses for courses.
Wait what? I am getting old. He designer a damper?

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
@norbar - Before his career as a full time bike-lengthener he designed an upgraded cartridge for the Boxxer/888 that had the compression and rebound both adjusted through a single adjuster.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This: http://www.descent-world.co.uk/DWR_B4_2005/html/products/mojofoxxers.htm

POS

If @scottishmark returns he can probably tell you better than I about all the comedic moments fitting a BOXXCART to his fork gave him.
I just remember pissing myself laughing at his brand new internals at the bottom of the hill while I held the fork down fully bottomed out without even having to put a leg over his bike. :)

he designed an upgraded cartridge for the Boxxer/888 that had the compression and rebound both adjusted through a single adjuster.
There were some pretty brilliant interviews at the time where Chris explained this. Obviously it was because Chris knew best. Everyone else was wrong. and that his product was the best thing EVAR...

do you see a theme yet?

Last edited: